Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aimpoint h1 mounting location

+4
mikemyers
Jack H
willnewton
10sandxs
8 posters

Go down

Aimpoint h1 mounting location Empty Aimpoint h1 mounting location

Post by 10sandxs 7/6/2018, 10:32 pm

I'm finally getting the aimpoint h1 and have been following several rellavent threads on the sight. In a recent one a poster mentioned mounting the sight far to the rear "as suggested". I've always liked my dots toward the muzzle to dampen motion and slow the movement arc. Besides ballance, are there other reasons to mount to the rear???

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Aimpoint h1 mounting location Empty Re: Aimpoint h1 mounting location

Post by willnewton 7/7/2018, 6:24 am

You get extra style points. Cool

Mounting it farther back will reduce dot shake, but as a master, that may not be as much an issue for you.

Just make sure the brass clears, the lenses stay clean (scope tube will help a lot) and mount it where you like.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/7/2018, 2:24 pm

The dot forward might serve more like a longer sight radius as the dot might show more muzzle wiggle.  Rearward the arm wobble would show more.  I think.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/7/2018, 4:41 pm

Jon suggested an answer as the last response (as of now) to this thread:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t9502-where-to-mount-an-aimpoint
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 7/7/2018, 8:32 pm

I thought I had asked that question before...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/7/2018, 11:33 pm

Are you planning on using the Aimpoint mount, or the Kodiak?  If it's the Kodiak, are you aware that you most likely need to get KC or an appropriate machinist to open up the slots in the rail?  What kind of gun will it be used on?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/8/2018, 12:06 am

mikemyers wrote:Are you planning on using the Aimpoint mount, or the Kodiak?  If it's the Kodiak, are you aware that you most likely need to get KC or an appropriate machinist to open up the slots in the rail?  What kind of gun will it be used on?
Depends on the rail used, 3 of 3 Kodiak bases fit my guns without mods and the rails are all different.  

The Kodiak base for my Pardini wasn't wide enough to fit down flush over the shroud/rail I had to open it up 0.002 with a file.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 7/8/2018, 12:29 am

mikemyers wrote:Are you planning on using the Aimpoint mount, or the Kodiak?  If it's the Kodiak, are you aware that you most likely need to get KC or an appropriate machinist to open up the slots in the rail?  What kind of gun will it be used on?
I've got a mill and i'm going to build a custom frame mount that turns the optic 90 degrees and lowers the barrel to optic axis.  Not conventional I know, but sometimes one has to try something different.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 7/8/2018, 1:11 pm

10sandxs,

Re custom mount, look at the  gun in my avatar.  Not an Aimpoint, but I did what you are suggesting with the custom mount and sight rotation.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 7/8/2018, 6:36 pm

Dr.Don wrote:10sandxs,

Re custom mount, look at the  gun in my avatar.  Not an Aimpoint, but I did what you are suggesting with the custom mount and sight rotation.
Yup , pretty close to my plan...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 7/8/2018, 10:23 pm

10sandxs wrote:
I've got a mill and i'm going to build a custom frame mount that turns the optic 90 degrees and lowers the barrel to optic axis.  Not conventional I know, but sometimes one has to try something different.

Just buy the double alpha it has the rotation built in

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/8/2018, 11:52 pm

Aimpoint h1 mounting location Screen15
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 7/9/2018, 6:48 am

mikemyers wrote:Aimpoint h1 mounting location Screen15
I saw that, but three reasons I'll build my oun. 1) If you look at slow motion video, relativly thin, cutout mounts flex pretty significantly when firing. I can't find a good link, but I've seen it on several guns. 2) I want the dot location forward of the ejection port 3) the frame I built on was a caspian from the seconds table at Perry. It has an integral rail for the dust cover that I need to account for.

If not fot the last reason, I'd consider it more seriously...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 7/9/2018, 9:52 am

Regarding location, in both my own pic (avatar) and the Double Alpha mount the rear lens hangs quite close to the barrel chamber opening.  When the gun cycles and pulls an empty cartridge out of the chamber it sucks residual smoke and gases out with it.  These collect on the occular lens pretty quickly.  I could only fire 20-30 rounds before it needed wiping badly.  I added a roughly 3/4" long rear tube to the sight and that solved the problem completely.  The tube is not shown in my picture.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 7/9/2018, 10:44 am

Regarding slide mounted Aimpoint H1 optics:

If one currently has a full slide length Rock River slide mount, what benefit is there, if any, to using the Kodiak mount compared to the standard Aimpoint weaver mount?

Thanks.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/9/2018, 4:04 pm

Maybe this will help.  I bought an Aimpoint H-1 for my Salyer, expecting it to stay tight - maybe I didn't tighten it enough, but the whole thing came loose before the end of that day's shooting.  Re-installed it, but this time every few magazines, I checked the screw that holds it all together.  It didn't "loosen" again, but I constantly had to keep tightening the screw.  Eventually it did settle down, but one of the experts at gun building on this forum suggested it was only a matter of time until it broke.  

I ordered the Kodiak, and installed it as per the instructions from KC.  I only had to re-tighten it once.  I keep checking, but it remains tight.

This is on my Salyer wad gun - I installed my Aimpoint H-2 on my Model 41 using the stock Aimpoint mount that I had removed from the Salyer.

In my inexpert opinion, the Kodiak is superior because it is made from steel, uses a larger diameter screw for locking things in place, and also has two additional set screws insuring that the setting won't change.

As to where to mount it, I first mounted the Aimpoint near the middle of the gun, but by the time I bought the Kodiak, I already wanted to put it towards the back end of the gun.  Those slots were already machined so the Kodiak would fit, so that was a bonus.  I was preparing to send the slide, Aimpoint, and Kodiak to KC to have him do the machining....  before I found it was already done by the previous owner.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down