Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training question, need advice

3 posters

Go down

Training question, need advice Empty Training question, need advice

Post by LRS Guy Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am

Gents,

I'm pretty new at Bullseye shooting, most my pistol competition has been IDPA/3-gun. Most if not all my training I have had has been oriented toward winning that gunfight. I have been lucky to have had some great instruction there. I like to focus on the fundimentals. I'm currently working in an asture enviorment, so I don't have access to my 22 or 45.

I do have access to a flat range over 100 yards long, I'm carrying a Glock 17 and have lots of 9mm. I have been practicing shooting 25 yds one handed and trying get a feel for this. Working on grip, trigger squeeze and sight alignment. Is there any drills or specfic things that you experianced shooters would recommend I train on or do?????

Any thoughts are appreciated.

LRS Guy

Back to top Go down

Training question, need advice Empty Re: Training question, need advice

Post by Sa-tevp Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:07 am

For a quick start try the beginning exercises in the Marine Corps workbook that can be downloaded here: USMC Pistol Team Workbook

There is no need to print the entire workbook so I would recommend just one section, such as 22. Another version of the book is available at Distinguished Precision Shooting Sports and has better descriptions of the exercises and expected results. (I suspect the original version was brief as the student was expected to have a coach nearby)

Also visit NRA Shooting Sports USA and NRA Family and search for anything by Brian Zins. He has several articles and videos that explain how to get good results. Ed Hall is another good source of training ideas. His work can be found at Newsletter Articles and Other Writings/Postings mostly by Edwin C. Hall and Some Ed Hall Postings to the Bullseye-List Archives. Both men have different ways of presenting material.

If you wanted a very quick gauge of where you are, in the USMC workbook one of the early steps is being able to hold the ten ring on a NRA B-8 target at 25 yards, Slow Fire pace. It is not too hard with a 22 but a lot of work with a Glock. All in the black rings with a Glock is the best I can do so far.

Lots of dry fire on a blank wall works well. Hopefully the trigger on your Glock is set up for a pull that feels like a ramp and not like tripping over a curb. A lot of striker fired pistols go SPROING at release and that can disturb the sight alignment.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:29 pm

As suggested, just practice grouping with the Glock. And dry fire when you can’t get to the range.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down