Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W Mod 41 Barrel

+2
BE Mike
shooterk
6 posters

Go down

S&W Mod 41 Barrel Empty S&W Mod 41 Barrel

Post by shooterk 8/4/2012, 1:38 pm

Returning to Bullseye after 30 years, I shot in the Corps late 70's. My wife recently gifted me a prestine 1970 manufacture Mod 41. My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be , so I'll try optics. I don't want to alter the original barrel. I have seen factory 7" and Clark 5.5 & 6.5 barrels advertised. Are the Clarks that much better than the factory, and which barrel length. Looking for suggestions.

shooterk

Back to top Go down

S&W Mod 41 Barrel Empty Re: S&W Mod 41 Barrel

Post by BE Mike 8/4/2012, 2:17 pm

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy another 7" barrel and send it to Alex Hamilton to have it shortened to 6", add a Weaver scope base and relined. I think if you weren't happy with the results, nothing could make you happy. I've heard a few complaints in the past from club members about the Clark barrels, but I haven't heard anything good or bad in the last few years. Bully barrels were good, but I believe he quit making them.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by shooterk 8/4/2012, 8:26 pm

I shot service pistol, and don't recall the specs on pistol. Why 6" ? Been in the the long range br rifle game for years and have completely left pistol shooting behind, other than work quals. Close to retirement and want to return to my roots, want to get tools right the first time.

shooterk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 8/6/2012, 10:32 am

shooterk wrote:I shot service pistol, and don't recall the specs on pistol. Why 6" ? Been in the the long range br rifle game for years and have completely left pistol shooting behind, other than work quals. Close to retirement and want to return to my roots, want to get tools right the first time.
Mike is right... Chose the length, weight , barrel that suits you ergonomically, and then reline.. It produces the best accuracy.. I used to turn down Shilen, & Lilja 22 blanks, but Alex turned me on to Lothar Walther..8 groove blanks, which can be purchased at 10mm, so turning is reduced to a bare minimum. The liner is suspended in a film of locking/retaining compound, which produces a stress free environment. A perfect situation...
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/6/2012, 11:42 am

Many shooters like the 6" barrel in a S&W model 41 with a scope mounted. It has a balance and feel that satisfies a large group of shooters, but YMMV.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 8/6/2012, 12:13 pm

BE Mike wrote:Many shooters like the 6" barrel in a S&W model 41 with a scope mounted. It has a balance and feel that satisfies a large group of shooters, but YMMV.

I cut a 7" to 5 5/8" with a UD it weighs and balances just like my 208s.
Now if I could just solve the slide bite problem....
The 41 grip frame is not made for a hammy hand like mine.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by shooterk 8/6/2012, 7:09 pm

Thanks to all for the advise. I spoke with Hamilton's today, and what a nice guy. Now to find a barrel.

shooterk

Back to top Go down

Post by gulliver62 8/6/2012, 9:00 pm

I have the Clark 6" and the Buly.
Both have great balance and outshoot (in my opinion) the S&W barrels.
gulliver62
gulliver62

Back to top Go down

Post by shooterk 8/6/2012, 10:42 pm

Ive been looking around the net, and the bully is no longer made, and didn't see any posted for sale. The Clark's look nice, hopefully made in the USA. Will contact Clark and S&W tommorow.

shooterk

Back to top Go down

Post by bullseyepistol 8/6/2012, 11:52 pm

A superstar, now retired, named Lou Lombardi cut three pristine stock 7" barrels down to 6" for me. I attribute these, along with his fine trigger jobs, to why I was able to break 870 consistently for several consecutive years. If Alex Hamilton does this same work, call him.

Likewise, the Clark barrels are excellent! But be aware: you may have ammo sensitivity issues because they are truly tight chambered.
bullseyepistol
bullseyepistol

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shooterk 8/7/2012, 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a lead on a 7" barrel.

shooterk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down