Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just getting back into Bullseye

+3
mikemyers
james r chapman
speleogen
7 posters

Go down

Just getting back into Bullseye Empty Just getting back into Bullseye

Post by speleogen 7/23/2018, 6:01 pm

Hi All:

I've been out of the sport for about 15 years. Just getting my feet wet again with my old Hi-Standard Victor. Boy did I lose a lot of skill! Who knows, another .45 might be in my future. Looking forward to participating in this community.

John The Beginner (Again)

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Just getting back into Bullseye Empty Re: Just getting back into Bullseye

Post by james r chapman 7/23/2018, 6:08 pm

welcome.
what state?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by speleogen 7/23/2018, 6:20 pm

Sorry, I haven't worked out my profile yet. North Carolina.

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/23/2018, 6:53 pm

Welcome!!

I've been reading a lot about the Victor lately.  Awesome gun!!
Alan Aronstein is a good person to know if you ever need parts.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by speleogen 7/23/2018, 6:55 pm

Thanks! I really love the gun.

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 7/24/2018, 5:45 am

Welcome back and you are in a great location for Bullseye, er, Precision Pistol.  Also we have very active IPSC / USPSA programs with large matches all over the state. 

North Carolina Bullseye Attractions

Brian Zins - Charlotte Area - training available
Jon Shue - Mebane Area - 

Gunsmiths like KC Crawford, Dave Salyer, David Sams is close by, etc., etc. Accuracy X is just across the VA line. 

(Don't mean to leave anyone out, just getting tired of typing.)

Matches - Outdoor 2700 Approved / Sanctioned (Mostly March through October / November)

1st Saturday - Asheville
2nd Saturday - Charlotte
3rd Sunday - Mebane (Durham) (Regional and State Matches)
4th Saturday - Creedmoor (Raleigh)

Central South Carolina has 2 matches each month as well.  Richmond VA has match on 1st Saturday too. 

Weekly Leagues / Practice / etc. - Charlotte and Holly Springs (Raleigh), other various non sanction matches, etc. 

Good luck and welcome back. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by speleogen 7/24/2018, 6:07 am

Thanks! That's a lot more than I thought. Appreciate the info

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 7/24/2018, 7:17 am

mikemyers wrote:Welcome!!

I've been reading a lot about the Victor lately.  Awesome gun!!
Alan Aronstein is a good person to know if you ever need parts.
 +++ 1 on Alan. He used to be a part owner of HighStandard and has the best parts for 107s and that style of .22 pistols at a very reasonable price. also has the 10X pistols.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbmoser1954 7/24/2018, 11:16 am

Welcome back
I was away from shooting for 25 yrs.  Came back 3yr ago.  
Im still trying to shoot as good as I used too. But getting there. 
The aging eyes are not the same.
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/24/2018, 8:46 pm

chopper wrote:
.....Alan........has the 10X pistols.
 Stan
He has those in stock, for sale to the public??
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 7/24/2018, 9:39 pm

Mike I should clarify my reply I meant to say 10X pistol barrels. I didn't want to get your hopes up, once in a while I'd see an old one for sale on the gun broker sites. 
 John if you ever want to put a red dot on your Victor I'd give Alan a buzz and check out his 10X barrels. I had already bought a CPC match grade barrel before I found out about his. My CPC barrel is very accurate, I'm sure the 10X barrel is a great one too. They are both drilled and tapped for scopes.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by speleogen 7/24/2018, 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip. I’m a sucker for iron sights although I do have an Ultradot and a rib for mounting it.

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/24/2018, 10:04 pm

Here is a Houston High Standard 10X bull barrel I got from Alan a few years ago.  It shoots great and the gun it's on can switch to the Alumalite LSP in seconds.  Luckily I have two slides for it from almost 50 years of High Standard shooting.  I am not real fond of the finish on it.  I guess I could have Roddy reblue it if I cleaned it off.

I also have a barrel from Alan that is his current effort.  Called the X Series if I recall.  It also shoots great, under 1" on the Ransom with Eley.

Just getting back into Bullseye Sk_1_110
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/25/2018, 7:09 am

Stan, I'll have to ask Alan about this.  A few years ago when I bought magazines and spare parts for my High Standard, Alan told me he had a special barrel if I wanted it.  It sounded expensive, but Alan is one of the people I trust to tell me the truth.  I bought it, and it was sitting in the package it came in until a few days ago.  

The label on the bag just said "Victor Barrel 5.5" E Hartford  Excellent - Refinished.

It looks just like the barrel in Jack H's photo - has three holes on the top for mounting the rail for optics, and two holes on the bottom for adding a weight.  On the left side it just says "The Victor 22 Long Rifle".  On the right side it says "High Standard Inc., E Hartford, Conn USA".  

To "speleogen", please post here how quickly you regain your skill.  Other than "aging eyes" as posted by "Pbmoser 1954", I'm wondering if it is like riding bicycle - you never forget.  It sure seems to me that the mind gets back in shape long before the muscles and the rest of your body.  As for eyes, for most people, that can be brought back to the way things were, either with prescription glasses, and if needed a cataract replacement.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by speleogen 7/25/2018, 8:07 am

Will do. There is a club here that shoots a 900 twice a month. It's a great source of tips. Nice bunch of guys.

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbmoser1954 7/25/2018, 4:08 pm

Mikemyers and Seleogen
The  problem I was having with my eyes was when looking through a dot scope the dot was more like a figure 8 appearance. So what I did I took my slide with the Ultradot  to my eye doctor when I had my exam. He measured me up the distance from my eye with my arm extended to the scope and made me a prescription that would make the dot crisp and clear. So I  now have a special pair of glasses for shooting bullseyes.  

When on the line, I always tell myself to keep the trigger moving.  I gets much better scores  when I do that technique.
Also control your breathing.
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/25/2018, 4:20 pm

My Matchdot II "dot" looks good - I had a pair of polycarbonate glasses made with a prescription for infinity.  When I'm looking at the target, placing the dot over it, the dot looks like a red period (.)  (unless I turn the brightness up too much).  

I'm confused by what you wrote, as if your prescription is the distance to someplace in the scope, I wouldn't expect either the dot or the target to be sharp.  The dot is supposed to be designed in a way that your brain "sees" it at a great distance.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by speleogen 7/25/2018, 5:39 pm

I had a pair of glasses made so I can focus on the front site. They work very well.

speleogen

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/25/2018, 6:13 pm

Me too.  I had one set made for 24" (1911 front sight, two handed), 30" (1911 one handed) and distance (for use with red dot sights).  I agree completely - made a world of difference for me.  

"The theoretical focus of this reflected light is in the neighborhood of 40 feet or so, so the dot is nearly in the same plane as the target. This makes it easier to see the target and the sight clearly, without having to constantly move the shooter’s focus back and forth. This is especially helpful as the eyes age and lose some of their elasticity. This has allowed shooters to remain competitive in their later years."

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/4/25/all-about-red-dot-sights-for-precision-pistol/
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbmoser1954 7/25/2018, 10:06 pm

My everyday glasses are for distance and reading. 
When shooting my front sight (iron sight ) is not clear and using a Ultradot, the dot is not perfectly round.
 My shooting glasses, my domenet eye lense is made to make the front sight perfect and on the dot scope the dot is round. When shooting I focus on the front sight not the target. Same with the dot.
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/26/2018, 7:41 am

I think you're saying:

• You have two pair of regular glasses, one for reading and one for distance
  • Using either of those, your front sight is not sharp, and your red dot is not round
  • You now have a pair of shooting glasses.  With those, using your dominant eye, the front sight is sharp, and the dot is round.
  • When shooting with iron sights, you focus on the front sight - everything else is blurry.
  • When shooting with the red dot sight ....."same with the dot"....  ?????

I'm assuming you have not had cataract surgery.

I don't understand what you meant about the red dot.  If your shooting glasses allow you to clearly see the front sight, they are sort of like reading glasses, in that you see things closer to you clearly.  Wearing those glasses, if you look at the target, is it also sharp?  If so, your red dot will also be sharp.

Did your eye doctor only give you glasses to correct for seeing closer than normal, or did he also have a correction for astigmatism?

Last question - if you see your red dot, and it appears distorted, does it get round again if you turn down the brightness?

----------------------------------------------

I had my cataracts repaired, so I now have three pair of shooting glasses, 24", 30", and distance.  My eyes can't adjust the focus, so everything is done with the prescription glasses, working with the new lens they put in my eye.  From what you wrote, it sounds like you can still focus your eyes as needed, but you needed the corrective glasses to see the front sight sharply.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down