Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a grip safety

5 posters

Go down

Fitting a grip safety Empty Fitting a grip safety

Post by orpheoet Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 pm

is this a diy type of thing or do I need to send the gun out? 1965 Colt 1911 with GI grip safety. Also looking for recommendations as far as what to replace it with.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Fitting a grip safety Empty Re: Fitting a grip safety

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm

If you want to try it your self you can do it with a jig, a file, a lot of time and patience. I did one myself but it’s not completely done. Some blending needs to be done. If done right there’s a good chance touch bluing will be involved. 

If you want to try this as an alternative to cutting into a nice older Colt, the Wilson combat drop in grip safety - though may not be as appealing to the eye as a professional conversion fit job - does fit colts better than other makes - at least this is what I hear. I saw and felt one on a Colt 1991-A1 and it wasn’t bad at all. It would leave you the option of always going back if you do so choose, reduce risk of making a mistake if attempting the fit your self, and save you some money depending on if you try the job your self or have a professional do it.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 pm

orpheoet wrote:is this a diy type of thing or do I need to send the gun out? 1965 Colt 1911 with GI grip safety. Also looking for recommendations as far as what to replace it with.

I can tell you I bought a duck bill from fusion like on my gold cup trophy to put on a gi gun.

Wasn't even close to fitting. Tossed in the scrap.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I've done several now and must say that I enjoy doing them. It's very satisfying to get a nice tight blended fit. I don't recommend attacking a nice old Colt for you first try though. Also, if done right, it will need more than touch up blue. Best to figure on having the pistol refinished.

Good luck.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, I'm glad I asked. I didn't realize how involved it is. The pistol is a .38 Super converted to .38 Wadcutter and is in very nice condition so I don't want to mess it up. It is very much old school cool and will remain so. Thanks all.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm

The drop in Wilson I bought didn't drop in, was able to file the safety instead of the frame but far from drop in on a series 80 Gold cup

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down