Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swaged versus hard cast... recoil??

+4
Jon Eulette
oldsalt444
Chris Miceli
zanemoseley
8 posters

Go down

Swaged versus hard cast... recoil?? Empty Swaged versus hard cast... recoil??

Post by zanemoseley Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 pm

So I'll begin by saying 99.99% of the bullets I've shot have been hard cast from wheel weights or from Magnus. 

A older master shoot told me that swaged bullets have noticeably less recoil than hard cast lead. Can anyone else back that up?

But if there's less recoil won't this mean you just have to jump the load up to keep the gun cycling with the same recoil spring and slide weight. Or does the swaged lead just feel smoother while still cycling the same?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Swaged versus hard cast... recoil?? Empty Re: Swaged versus hard cast... recoil??

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Hammer a swaged bullet,hard cast and jhp through the barrel with a wood dowel. Let us know what you feel between the 3

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Swaged versus hard cast... recoil?? Empty Re: Swaged versus hard cast... recoil??

Post by zanemoseley Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 pm

So I guess the question is if you're running a heavy slide with a 9000sc does it still feel softer once you get the pressure high enough to cycle the slide or are you jist having to dump more powder in to level the playing field?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Yes, cast are a bit harder than swaged.  But for the pressures needed in your gun, the two are almost indistinguishable.  The same powder charge will work for both.  The cast obturate less than swaged where the swaged obturate more which creates a bit more resistance.  So it's basically a wash.  The obturation fills the bore and contributes to accuracy.  

Jacketed bullets are a different story.  Much more resistance in the bore.  That's where you'll need a bump in powder charge.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:26 pm

I cannot feel the difference between cast or swaged when running 3.4 or 4.0 gr BE. This is with all my 45’s including the ones with the 9000
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks guys, just making sure I'm not missing out on a magical recoil reducer lol.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Weight of bullet dictates recoil. Some people prefer swaged rather than cast because sometimes (not very often) an internal void will form in the cast and throw the balance off. I'm sure you know the results of something like that.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Sometimes swaged bullets won't go as fast as cast bullets with the same powder charge. That could reduce recoil.

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:02 pm

S148 wrote:Sometimes swaged bullets won't go as fast as cast bullets with the same powder charge. That could reduce recoil.

Right, I'm just worried that would reduce the pressure and not cycle the pistol. I run my loads pretty tight on having just enough juice to run reliably while still reducing recoil.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Commercial swaged bullets have a BHN of 10-13 and most cast bullets are way too hard at 18-22. Home-made swaged bullets are usually almost pure lead as the hand-swage presses can't achieve the pressure of commercial units.
Felt recoil has to be a function of gun fit, height of barrel axis from hand, bullet weight, bullet velocity, powder weight, and powder velocity exiting the barrel. I can't see bullet hardness having any effect separate from those variables mentioned.
In most cases, I think "felt recoil" has more to with the shooter's prejudice going in and knowing what bullet/powder he/she is firing. A series of true double-bling tests would be most interesting.
I can run commercial swaged bullets up to about 1300-1500 fps, depending on quality of the lube (generally just a wax emulsion, which often does "die" at around 1100fps); however, most manuals also keep lead bullet data down in pressure. Lyman lists the MAP for their loads.
If you are shooting competitive Bullseye and don't cast your own, you should be using swaged bullets ONLY, due to superior dimensional and weight consistency.
Look to Star and Magnus.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Greetings noylj,

"Commercial swaged bullets have a BHN of 10-13"

Please quote your source of information.

The hardness tests I have conducted on swaged 32 and 38 bullets are considerably less in value.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 pm

From Magnus, Zero, Hornady, Speer, and Precision Delta. I would post my info from them, but my computer crashed and I can't access the hard drive on it.
Write and ask them yourself.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down