Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

+12
spursnguns
LenV
straybrit
zanemoseley
dronning
john bickar
Jon Eulette
javaduke
mikemyers
Wobbley
Tim:H11
Slartybartfast
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Empty Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

Post by Slartybartfast 9/10/2018, 10:00 am

Okay, I have pretty close to zero experience with revolvers. But, there's a sale on Chiappa Rhinos and thought I'd pick one up for the heck of it.

60DS model, but in .357 Mag (in black) or 9mm (in chrome)?

Only interested in shooting targets, nothing else. So get 9mm so I don't add to the calibres I need to keep on hand and keep ammunition costs down? Or is there a compelling reason for me to get the .357?

The only negatives (beside people complaining about the looks) I've seen about the pistols is the moon clips aren't great (which reflects badly for the 9mm model if I understand correctly).
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Empty Re: Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

Post by Tim:H11 9/10/2018, 10:08 am

To each their own but honestly I think they're a waste of money. The triggers suck and the hotter loads in those guns hammer the dog out of the web of your hand because the bore axis is so low. Nice for semi-auto's but not so much in a revolver. Just my take on it. I've shot one in 40 S&W and maybe that's where my negative feelings come from - I don't like that cartridge to start with. Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Empty Re: Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre?

Post by Wobbley 9/10/2018, 10:28 am

I’d vote for the 357 if only because you can shoot 38 Special in it.  Other than that I have no input because if never shot one.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 9/10/2018, 10:45 am

Fascinating concept - never heard of them until just now.  I looked it up and found the following video.  How much are they on sale for, and where?  I'd love to see one in person.   ....do you do your own reloading?   If I were buying tomorrow, I'd want to shoot 38 Special.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/10/2018, 10:58 am

mikemyers wrote:Fascinating concept - never heard of them until just now.

I seem to find and obsess over the weirdest firearms. I keep having to talk myself out of ordering a Matchguns MG2 and arranging personal import, and I'm waiting for sticker shock to dissuade me from believing that I absolutely need an Alien pistol from Laugo Arms.

I've only ever seen the Chiappa Rhino in a display case. Haven't had the chance to even hold one. As I titled the thread "just for fun". Looking to answer various people saying that I NEED a revolver by buying the weirdest revolver I can find.  Laughing But I've actually liked the look of the Rhino since I first saw one.

I'm looking at Canadian stores, so the where and how much won't be much help to most on here.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 9/10/2018, 1:24 pm

I tried the 6" model once - to begin with, it was very front heavy (little did I know before I got my Pardini HP), the trigger was extremely heavy and gritty even in SA, and I haven't even tried DA. The small hammer makes it very difficult to thumb cock it during the sustained fire. The recoil did feel a bit different, but I wasn't sure if it's because of the location of the bore, or a different grip, or just me shooting a new gun. Overall, an interesting concept, but probably not suitable for any BE or DR games.

javaduke

https://bullseyepistolblog.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/10/2018, 1:40 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:

I seem to find and obsess over the weirdest firearms. I keep having to talk myself out of ordering a Matchguns MG2 and arranging personal import, 
Get to be MG2 you will love it!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 9/10/2018, 2:28 pm

I think they look cool. Of course, I also think the S&W .44 Auto Mag and the Desert Eagle look cool.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/10/2018, 4:19 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:
Slartybartfast wrote:

I seem to find and obsess over the weirdest firearms. I keep having to talk myself out of ordering a Matchguns MG2 and arranging personal import, 
Get to be MG2 you will love it!
Jon
I'm positive I would love he MG2. Unfortunately I got to see one in competition, but never got a chance to hold it or fire it.
Was the organisers gun. And while I was borrowing his Hammerli SP-20 .32, the days competition was such there was no time when he wasn't busy or one or both of us were shooting.
A guy in Ottawa had offered to show me his MG collection, but lost contact.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/10/2018, 5:26 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:To each their own but honestly I think they're a waste of money. The triggers suck and the hotter loads in those guns hammer the dog out of the web of your hand because the bore axis is so low. Nice for semi-auto's but not so much in a revolver. Just my take on it. I've shot one in 40 S&W and maybe that's where my negative feelings come from - I don't like that cartridge to start with. Good luck!

+1
Shot a 357 & a 9MM,  don't waste your time/money, unless you're looking to own a novelty.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/11/2018, 8:26 am

dronning wrote:

+1
Shot a 357 & a 9MM,  don't waste your time/money, unless you're looking to own a novelty.
- Dave
Guess I'll wait till I've fired one before making a purchase...
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/11/2018, 9:23 pm

Ok I'm not gonna lie, I watched a couple Chiappa Rhino videos tonight. Very neat pistol. It comes across like it's not intended to be a target pistol so I don't really expect it to be.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 9/12/2018, 9:23 am

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/chris-dumm/gun-review-chiappa-firearms-rhino/ wrote:In fact, the Rhino was more accurate in SA fire than our reference .357, a 4” L-frame Smith & Wesson 686. Yep: the 25-ounce alloy-framed Rhino with inferior sights and a 2-inch barrel was more accurate than the 41-ounce forged stainless S&W with better sights, a bigger grip and a 4” barrel.
With my revolver knowledge being next to nothing, maybe that's not actually saying that much and the 686 is a poor choice for target shooting to begin with.

And while the following aren't from the precision shooting world:
Jerry Miculek is more about speed than accuracy, he had nothing bad to say.
hickok45 seemed to be hunting desperately to find negative things to say besides saying how ugly he though it was.
Another video I watched last night was comparing the Rhino and a 686 and after first saying the 686 had an excellent trigger, after shooting the Rhino followed with saying the Rhino trigger was better.

Now, a 6 inch 686 would be nearly half the price of a 6 inch Rhino...
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/12/2018, 10:06 am

Slartybartfast wrote:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/chris-dumm/gun-review-chiappa-firearms-rhino/ wrote:In fact, the Rhino was more accurate in SA fire than our reference .357, a 4” L-frame Smith & Wesson 686. Yep: the 25-ounce alloy-framed Rhino with inferior sights and a 2-inch barrel was more accurate than the 41-ounce forged stainless S&W with better sights, a bigger grip and a 4” barrel.
With my revolver knowledge being next to nothing, maybe that's not actually saying that much and the 686 is a poor choice for target shooting to begin with.

You could do a lot worse than a S&W 6 inch 686 for target work.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 9/12/2018, 3:42 pm

Wobbley wrote:
Slartybartfast wrote:

You could do a lot worse than a S&W 6 inch 686 for target work.

Ruger GP100 - I got my DR using one with just a mild trigger job. Most modern well made guns will shoot well enough to get a badge. Unfortunately old farts (of which I am now a card carrying member) are somewhat less capable

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/12/2018, 5:53 pm

Wearing my contrary hat. I think they would be fun to own in the 40 cal option. There sure wouldn't be any problem finding brass everywhere. Still wearing that hat I would grab a 586 before a 686. They look nicer.

Len

Purdy

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Pix444340811

Last edited by LenV on 9/12/2018, 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had to add a picture. It was a moral imperative)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/12/2018, 6:15 pm

+1 on the 586...
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 9/13/2018, 9:46 am

Rhino, 686, 586 .... all wannabe's for the real thing:

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Colt_p10

But if you have to .... get the .357

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 9/13/2018, 10:12 am

Buy a target shooting revolver if you are going to shoot targets. No worries about cylinder rotation direction, lock-up or cylinder gap affecting accuracy.

TOZ-36 and a TOZ-49.

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Toz-36_toz-49
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 9/13/2018, 10:20 am

Nice.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/13/2018, 10:55 am

Sa-tevp wrote:Buy a target shooting revolver if you are going to shoot targets. No worries about cylinder rotation direction, lock-up or cylinder gap affecting accuracy.

TOZ-36 and a TOZ-49.

Just for fun - Chiappa Rhino, which calibre? Toz-36_toz-49

Humor the uninformed, how do you not have to worry about the issues you listed? They look like regular revolvers.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 9/13/2018, 11:09 am

The cylinders do not swing out, and the cylinders slide forward to seal the gap when the trigger is cocked. The pistol did well for many years in 25 Meter Centerfire events. Everyone should try a Khaidurov trigger.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/13/2018, 11:43 am

That is pretty neat. I see the loading recess and the swing up gate. Are they still making the TOZ revolvers?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 9/13/2018, 2:11 pm

zanemoseley wrote:That is pretty neat. I see the loading recess and the swing up gate. Are they still making the TOZ revolvers?

I don't think so, but like many Soviet Union target firearms it sounds like a good number were made and shipped to clubs in satellite countries like the TOZ-35 free pistol.

Here is a good thread on the revolvers: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?288986-Toz-36

A good thread on Efim Khaydurov: http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9832&start=0

More TOZ revolver info: http://ttorg.targettalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40773&view=previous
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 10/1/2018, 9:32 am

LenV wrote:Wearing my contrary hat. I think they would be fun to own in the 40 cal option.

Seems I often wear my contrary hat. A local store had Chiappa's in stock, so I went, I held, I dry-fired, I bought.
Now the proud owner of a silver Chiappa Rhino 60DS in .357

Just have to play the patience game until it's approved for transfer and I can finally bring it home.

Might be a lot of money for something that's just for fun, but you only live once, so WTH not.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next