1911 Build Class - Deep River Customs

Go down

1911 Build Class - Deep River Customs

Post by DRCNC on 9/21/2018, 8:57 am

Once again, we are having our classes at Montgomery Community College's Gunsmithing School in Troy, NC. We've posted the schedule for next year's classes on our website.

A new addition to our teaching staff, we're welcoming Jon Shue to the team. Jon is an accomplished gunsmith and machinist, and the current and 2 time NRA National Bullseye Champion. Jon specializes in building 1911 bullseye pistols.

You can check out the schedule here: Deep River Customs 1911 Class

info@deeprivercustoms.com
DRCNC

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Build Class - Deep River Customs

Post by willnewton on 9/21/2018, 9:50 am

I have taken this class when Bob Marvel was the instructor.  It was excellent learning and a lot of fun.  There were all skill levels of students in class and the resulting pistol you take home is a top notch piece of work.

I did have a chance to speak with Jon Shue not too long ago about the class, as he was also a student under Bob Marvel in a DRC 1911 class a few months after mine.  His background in CNC machining, outgoing attitude, and of course, Champion-level shooting experience is going to help bring a lot to the class.

To be clear, this is a freely given opinion.  I just loved the class from the minute I walked in the door until I walked out ten days later with shredded hands, a match grade pistol, and a grin from ear to ear.  Very Happy
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on 9/21/2018, 1:06 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun. It's only 2,750 miles from home.
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley on 9/21/2018, 1:31 pm

john bickar wrote:That sounds like a lot of fun. It's only 2,750 miles from home.
 Airplanes fly every day.
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 on 9/21/2018, 1:49 pm

It’s at a college... does that mean my G.I. Bill will cover it? Lol

dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 9/21/2018, 2:53 pm

dapduh2 wrote:It’s at a college... does that mean my G.I. Bill will cover it? Lol

Maybe not this specific class, but there are curriculum level classes leading towards an Associate degrees in gunsmithing taught in many Community Colleges.  I bet they are most certainly eligible.

Montgomery Community College in NC is one of several around the nation that has an NRA Gunsmithing program.  These classes are VERY affordable and delve much deeper into specific guns or techniques.  Check into it here.  https://gunsmithing.nra.org

You can also Google “gunsmithing community college” which will likely pull up nearby classes that are part of a college’s curriculum or continuing education programs.

@John, don’t let the distance be a put off. I was the ONLY person from NC in my 1911 class.  The rest of the students were from all over the US in a variety of ages and backgrounds.  We did have a guy fom Cali. in my class.  It will be one of the best vacations you ever take!  Smile
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG on 9/21/2018, 8:01 pm

john bickar wrote:That sounds like a lot of fun. It's only 2,750 miles from home.
Ohhh Noooo ......

Please don't tell me your planning on moving up from the old Gold Cup your Dad bought at Montgomery Wards.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on 9/22/2018, 12:53 am

willnewton wrote:
@John, don’t let the distance be a put off. I was the ONLY person from NC in my 1911 class.  The rest of the students were from all over the US in a variety of ages and backgrounds.  We did have a guy fom Cali. in my class.  It will be one of the best vacations you ever take!  Smile

Agreed, but pretty sure I couldn't get the gun into CA legally. (Cue the list of people saying, "I could take that off of your hands for ya"... Laughing )
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on 9/22/2018, 6:11 am

Perhaps DRC can comment on that John, but the way it usually works is that they send you (your FFL) a serialized 100% lower and slide once the full class fee is paid a few weeks before the class starts.  Then you bring your frame to the class where the rest of the parts await assembly.

This ensures that in transit to and from class and in the classroom this pistol is your property at all times.  The 100% receiver is treated as a completed firearm at all times, assembled or not. (Not in CA, see Jon’s comment below)

Here is a link to the thread I made while taking the class.  It gives a day to day report and may serve as a guide for those interested.  1911pro is not showing the pictures for some reason, but you will get a very good idea of what goes on.

http://www.1911pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4827

Last edited by willnewton on 9/22/2018, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : made a correction after seeing Jon’s post)
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DRCNC on 9/22/2018, 7:42 am

In CA, while technically legal to do so, each FFL makes his own determination as to whether or not the frame can be received by them.  Many FFLs in CA won't do it, some will.  If you need help with this, let us know.
DRCNC

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley on 9/22/2018, 12:11 pm

Still waiting for CA to break loose and float away. We'll rescue Jon Eulette and John Bickar first though lol.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 9/22/2018, 12:19 pm

In California the receiver cannot be drop tested so it cannot be registered, thus not legal. Loophole is getting a FFL to receive the frame and make a single shot pistol which is exempt from drop test and can then be registered. It can then be converted to a semi auto pistol. 
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 on 9/24/2018, 10:37 am

Jon Eulette wrote:In California the receiver cannot be drop tested so it cannot be registered, thus not legal. Loophole is getting a FFL to receive the frame and make a single shot pistol which is exempt from drop test and can then be registered. It can then be converted to a semi auto pistol. 
Jon

The single shot exemption ran out in 2016 or so. That's how I got my Range Officer. 

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke on 9/24/2018, 12:16 pm

1joel1 wrote:
Jon Eulette wrote:In California the receiver cannot be drop tested so it cannot be registered, thus not legal. Loophole is getting a FFL to receive the frame and make a single shot pistol which is exempt from drop test and can then be registered. It can then be converted to a semi auto pistol. 
Jon

The single shot exemption ran out in 2016 or so. That's how I got my Range Officer. 

Joel

It still applies if a gun was initially built as a single shot (as opposed to built as semi-auto and converted to single shot). What Jon is saying, the only legal way would be to find an FFL 07 in California, who would accept a bare frame which was never built into a functional firearm, then build a dimensionally correct single-shot pistol (no less than 6" barrel, no less than 10.5" OAL) and transfer it to a buyer, who can then take it apart and convert to a normal 1911.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum