Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think this is coming home with me

+5
kidneyboy
LenV
SMBeyer
jglenn21
lablover
9 posters

Go down

I think this is coming home with me Empty I think this is coming home with me

Post by lablover 10/4/2018, 7:43 pm

they say a picture is worth 1000 words

Put it in my hand and fell in love.

Now, do I have it drilled and taped or get another barrel?

It’s an A serial number and clean as can be.also has cocking indicator

Will also need a few more mags

So, if anyone has a barrel and mags they no longer need I’m all ears.

I think this is coming home with me D4e78d10
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

I think this is coming home with me Empty Re: I think this is coming home with me

Post by jglenn21 10/4/2018, 7:51 pm

good one.   A serial #   1977 model
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

I think this is coming home with me Empty Re: I think this is coming home with me

Post by SMBeyer 10/4/2018, 7:53 pm

Very pretty!  I shot with 2 mags for the whole time I shot my 41.  I'll have to look and see what I have for extra mags.  I bought like 6 or 7 for $30 couple years ago but might have given most away.
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/4/2018, 7:59 pm

SMBeyer wrote:Very pretty!  I shot with 2 mags for the whole time I shot my 41.  I'll have to look and see what I have for extra mags.  I bought like 6 or 7 for $30 couple years ago but might have given most away.
That would be awesome!  I have to remember it’s a tool for me to accomplish my goals.and not make it a safe queen!
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/4/2018, 8:28 pm

I wouldn't drill and tap that barrel. You need one set up for EIC matches without a scope and you will probably want one set up with a scope (since your asking) There are a couple of good choice right now for barrels. GunBroker has over 20 new 5.5" with sights drilled and tapped. Ebay has one 7" also drilled and tapped with sights. The 7" is used but the 5.5 are new. This is a rare moment in time. For the last 5 years you could not find any 41 barrels for sale so your timing is great. I would grab the 7" but that is just my opinion.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787875063
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy 10/4/2018, 8:31 pm

Both barrels on my 1980 version 41 are drilled and tapped. I can still use the iron sights. If you aren't concerned about what the purists say have it done.
I think this is coming home with me Img_3211

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/4/2018, 8:43 pm

I think I might have left some confusion. I am as far as you can get from a purist. I drilled and tapped my 952-2, 25-2 and my 1971 model 41. Drill and tap all you want. But there is no way to do a quick change over in the same match/day. It is the base you can not see over to shoot with steel sights and if you have to remove the base then it has to be re-sighted when the base and scope go back on. Two barrels is just easier. I like the sights further to the rear so I also removed the rear sight on the 7"
I think this is coming home with me Dscf0413

Last edited by LenV on 10/4/2018, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/4/2018, 8:46 pm

LenV wrote:I think I might have left some confusion. I am as far as you can get from a purist. I drilled and tapped my 952-2, 25-2 and my 1971 model 41. Drill and tap all you want. But there is no way to do a quick change over in the same match/day. It is the base you can not see over to shoot with steel sights and if you have to remove the base then it has to be re-sighted when the base and scope go back on. Two barrels is just easier.
And that was my thinking as well...the changeover.  The Weigand base claims you can see the sights with the base in place
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy 10/4/2018, 9:07 pm

lablover wrote:
LenV wrote:I think I might have left some confusion. I am as far as you can get from a purist. I drilled and tapped my 952-2, 25-2 and my 1971 model 41. Drill and tap all you want. But there is no way to do a quick change over in the same match/day. It is the base you can not see over to shoot with steel sights and if you have to remove the base then it has to be re-sighted when the base and scope go back on. Two barrels is just easier.
And that was my thinking as well...the changeover.  The Weigand base claims you can see the sights with the base in place

I can see the sights with the base(s) in place and red dots off. Taking the Vortex off of the short barrel takes about 30 seconds and so far it has held zero when put back on. YMMV

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/4/2018, 9:17 pm

kidneyboy wrote:
lablover wrote:

I can see the sights with the base(s) in place and red dots off. Taking the Vortex off of the short barrel takes about 30 seconds and so far it has held zero when put back on. YMMV
Can I ask what base you are using?  Do you have a pic of the gun with rail and dot in place

Thanks
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/4/2018, 9:22 pm

This looks promising 

https://www.jackweigand.com/swm41.html
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy 10/4/2018, 9:35 pm

lablover wrote:This looks promising 

https://www.jackweigand.com/swm41.html
That's the one.
A pic may take a day or 2.

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/5/2018, 5:22 am

First, see how the original barrel shoots.  If you want optics, just get a clark barrel for optics and get shooting. No need to modify the barrel, especially if its the original.  By the time you drill, tap and buy a mount, you're probably going to be a long way to the same cost and have a potentiality less desirable original barrel.  
CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/5/2018, 6:05 pm

CR10X wrote:First, see how the original barrel shoots.  If you want optics, just get a clark barrel for optics and get shooting. No need to modify the barrel, especially if its the original.  By the time you drill, tap and buy a mount, you're probably going to be a long way to the same cost and have a potentiality less desirable original barrel.  
CR
I really like this thought process...thank you
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/5/2018, 6:47 pm

Another option:
        https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/clark-sw-41-match-barrel/
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 10/5/2018, 7:22 pm

+2 to Clark's barrel, Lablover.  I had no issues with installing it on my 1979 Axxxxxx s/n: M41, that originally came with 7" barrel.  Clark's barrel come specifically with optic installed in mind.  I opted for 5.5" one, that doesn't have "tail" part, so dot is seating a little bit forward.  I'll be happy to provide pictures if you would like!
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/5/2018, 7:26 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:+2 to Clark's barrel, Lablover.  I had no issues with installing it on my 1979 Axxxxxx s/n: M41, that originally came with 7" barrel.  Clark's barrel come specifically with optic installed in mind.  I opted for 5.5" one, that doesn't have "tail" part, so dot is seating a little bit forward.  I'll be happy to provide pictures if you would like!
AP
Pic would be great...thank you
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 10/5/2018, 7:42 pm

I think this is coming home with me Img_3718

Barrels are interchangeable between both guns.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/5/2018, 8:19 pm

Do you not find the dot so forward distracting or muzzle heavy?
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 10/5/2018, 8:26 pm

easy to put both mounts on the front part of the dot,  then mount it as far reward as possible
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 10/5/2018, 8:40 pm

Negative to both, Lablover.  For that matter Clark's barrel is a bit heavier than OEM, and with addition of red dot balance is quite good.  However it is probably my personal preference, - I also have HS Victor with dot pushed forward and barrel weight in addition to it.  Although on Victor it is a bit much muzzle heavy, as it is more comfortable to shoot it with irons versus dot.  Position of the dot also doesn't distractive for me, - I concentrate on projection of the dot on target over anything else.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/5/2018, 8:48 pm

I think this is coming home with me Img_1812
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/5/2018, 11:37 pm

Mike if you mount the scope there you will shoot low left.  Laughing I might be pulling your leg a tiny bit. I did mention I like the scope above my hand.

I think this is coming home with me 20180918
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 10/6/2018, 9:44 am

LenV wrote:Mike if you mount the scope there you will shoot low left.  Laughing I might be pulling your leg a tiny bit. I did mention I like the scope above my hand.

I think this is coming home with me 20180918
Len, with the size of your hand, that could be almost anywhere  Laughing
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 10/6/2018, 11:50 am

Got to shoot her today and 200 rounds later not an issue happened..pretty excited.  To be honest I could not tell how well she shot from the bench because I could hardly see the damn irons..that was very frustrating.  I have an eyepal on the way to see if that helps. I think a visit to the eye doctor may be in order.  I was wearing my everyday glasses that are for distance and way up close bifocal...mid range is not in the scripts and I think that’s what I need.  Damn that was so frustrating
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down