1911 Recoil Springs

Go down

1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/12/2018, 2:30 pm

Gun. Tight wad gun with Aimpoint H1 slide mounted
Ammo. Zero 185 JHP running either 4.4 BE, 4.5 N310 or 4.6 WST

It has been suggested the best place to start is with a 13 lb "flat wire" recoil spring and 19 lb hammer spring.

Is Wilson Combat the only place to get the "flat wire" recoil spring, and what specifically is the gain? Wilson claims they last much longer. Anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Olde Pilot on 10/12/2018, 2:38 pm

Flat wire is a gimmick. Try 12# Wolff since Aimpoint is light. Go to 10# if needed for good cycling. 19# hammer spring is OK. Loads are good for 50yds. Maybe go lower for 25yds.

Olde Pilot

Posts : 128
Join date : 2015-07-27
Location : Apopka Fl

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by jglenn21 on 10/12/2018, 8:01 pm

Yep 12# is fine.. that's what i run in my EIC 45 with a 19lb mainspring
avatar
jglenn21

Posts : 1492
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 70
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Gary Wells on 10/12/2018, 10:32 pm

I bought a WC 47D flat wire mag and could not stand the squeak.

Gary Wells

Posts : 347
Join date : 2015-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/13/2018, 9:17 am

So I take no one uses or no one knows why they use a flat wire recoil spring?
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Olde Pilot on 10/13/2018, 9:52 am

Correct.

Olde Pilot

Posts : 128
Join date : 2015-07-27
Location : Apopka Fl

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Wobbley on 10/13/2018, 9:59 am

Allgoodhits wrote:So I take no one uses or no one knows why they use a flat wire recoil spring?
There was a guy on another forum who bought a used pistol with a flat wire and he had feeding issues.  Changed to a round wire and the issues went away.
avatar
Wobbley

Posts : 1712
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/13/2018, 4:26 pm

Probably undocumented advice, without anything to back it up from some guy named Shue. What would he know, right?
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by lablover on 10/13/2018, 5:49 pm

Allgoodhits wrote:Probably undocumented advice, without anything to back it up from some guy named Shue. What would he know, right?
+100

lablover

Posts : 557
Join date : 2015-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Chris Miceli on 10/13/2018, 7:02 pm

So you’ve been told by Jon what to use, then you ask for advise here, then when you get information other than what Jon suggested you boast about jon........

I like Jon very much.... let’s try not to waste internet space here
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2675
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by SW-52 on 10/13/2018, 7:39 pm

I run my wadgun with 11lbs recoil spring.
avatar
SW-52

Posts : 534
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/13/2018, 8:37 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:So you’ve been told by Jon what to use, then you ask for advise here, then when you get information other than what Jon suggested you boast about jon........

I like Jon very much.... let’s try not to waste internet space here
If you read the post, I said and only asked... 

"Is Wilson Combat the only place to get the "flat wire" recoil spring, and what specifically is the gain? Wilson claims they last much longer. Anything else?"


Everyone else just started giving answers and opinions to a question "not" asked. So agree, let's read post before making comments, then commenting wasting more space.


Last edited by Allgoodhits on 10/13/2018, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by lablover on 10/13/2018, 8:51 pm

Allgoodhits

Try here....

https://www.deeprivercustoms.com/product/recoil-springs/#.W8Kg4IopChA

lablover

Posts : 557
Join date : 2015-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/13/2018, 8:54 pm

lablover wrote:Allgoodhits

Try here....

https://www.deeprivercustoms.com/product/recoil-springs/#.W8Kg4IopChA
Thanks. I had searched flat recoil springs, and Wilson is all I got. Thanks again, that was what I was asking.
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by lablover on 10/13/2018, 8:56 pm

Allgoodhits wrote:
lablover wrote:Allgoodhits

Try here....

https://www.deeprivercustoms.com/product/recoil-springs/#.W8Kg4IopChA
Thanks. I had searched flat recoil springs, and Wilson is all I got. Thanks again, that was what I was asking.
Also sent ya a PM.

hope you find what you need

Joe

lablover

Posts : 557
Join date : 2015-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Chris Miceli on 10/13/2018, 9:01 pm

what specifically is the gain? Wilson claims they last much longer. Anything else? 
Probably undocumented advice, without anything to back it up from some guy named Shue. What would he know, right?



again the smith you boast about told you to use them.... don't go looking for an answer when you have already made up your mind. 
the smith knows best. 
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2675
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/14/2018, 4:50 am

Once again, no dispute what to use, what weight to use, asked WHERE TO GET THEM? Others chime in with advise on many topics unrelated to where to get them. Seemed like a simple enough direct question to me.

Now since you have asked. Jon is building a complete gun for me. However, i own others as described that he did not build. My question about where to the flat springs applied to those guns. After one gentleman was kind enough to supply a vendor other than Wilson, i went to their page. It stated that a .250 diameter guide rod most be used. I need to measure the rods i have now. Wilson made no reference to any specific specs in that regard.

I hope to have all three guns as similar as possible if possible. That is my goal, that was the reason for asking where to obtain the flat coil springs that were suggested. By the way, i like Jon too, that is why I selected him among others to build my gun..That is all.
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by NuJudge on 10/14/2018, 8:08 am

There are other vendors selling flat wire recoil springs for the 1911, but perhaps not in the weight you are looking for:  
http://www.egwguns.com/ismi-springs/  
https://usatac.com/1911-parts/1911-flat-wire-recoil-springs/flat-wire-recoil-spring-5-full-size-chrome-silicon-13-lb

Midway also has some, again, not in the weight you're looking for, but the Reviews there very useful in finding what people feel is gained and lost with them:  
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005761930/wilson-combat-flat-wire-recoil-spring-kit-1911-government-5

I have been using the flat wire springs far more in Beretta pistols, and they do seem to last a bit longer there.  They cost more, and require a different spring guide.  I see no other difference.  There may be some difference in the force profile it exerts.  If the longer interval before replacement is important, maybe the price difference is worth it.

NuJudge

Posts : 92
Join date : 2011-09-22
Age : 61
Location : SE Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Allgoodhits on 10/14/2018, 4:13 pm

NuJudge wrote:There are other vendors selling flat wire recoil springs for the 1911, but perhaps not in the weight you are looking for:  
http://www.egwguns.com/ismi-springs/  
https://usatac.com/1911-parts/1911-flat-wire-recoil-springs/flat-wire-recoil-spring-5-full-size-chrome-silicon-13-lb

Midway also has some, again, not in the weight you're looking for, but the Reviews there very useful in finding what people feel is gained and lost with them:  
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005761930/wilson-combat-flat-wire-recoil-spring-kit-1911-government-5

I have been using the flat wire springs far more in Beretta pistols, and they do seem to last a bit longer there.  They cost more, and require a different spring guide.  I see no other difference.  There may be some difference in the force profile it exerts.  If the longer interval before replacement is important, maybe the price difference is worth it.
Thank you! Helpful, useful info. I am told now that Wolf has them too. I checked gunsprings.com I will check again. Once again, thanks.

Martin
avatar
Allgoodhits

Posts : 145
Join date : 2017-09-17
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Recoil Springs

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum