2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Go down

2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by lablover on 10/13/2018, 2:28 pm

This is a 2 part questionin and they sort of relate

I have tendinitis pretty bad in my right ( shooting arm) if I wear a small brace below my elbow, it helps a bit.  Working on exercises to strengthen.  First, is the brace legal during nra/Cmp matches?  With shooters elbow what have you found to work?

Ok, that was 2 questions so I was wrong.  I find the softer rubber type grips for some reason help with the pain.  Was shooting the S&W M41 today and that stock grip was slippery as hell as well did me no favors with pain.  Anyone know of any rubber type grips for the 41?  Fits my hand good but because it’s pretty slippery I have to grip it a bit tighter which causes pain. I’m not opposed to grip tape all over that 41 either.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated..  especially anyone who has had to deal with this

Thanks all

Joe

lablover

Posts : 548
Join date : 2015-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by Oleg G on 10/13/2018, 4:12 pm

Joe,

Same affliction here. The pain is bad and I decided to shoot .22-only for a year or so because shooting .45 hurts too much.
I also wear a brace beneath the elbow, it is perfectly legal, because it does not immobilize the joint. I spoke with several match directors, who assured me that I can wear the brace.

Here is what works:
1. Stretches - a must before and after any activity that strains the elbow
2. Ice - 2 to 4 times a day, if you can make the time
3. My doc prescribed Meloxicam - a mild anti-inflammatory that helps
4. Steroid shots into the elbow - hit or miss. Works for some people and not others.

The doc says to avoid activities, which would aggravate tendonitis. My compromise is to shoot .22-only for a while, which gives me an added benefit of focusing on mastering the fundamentals. Also, I now spend a lot more time dry-firing, which does not affect the elbow as much.

Hope this helps,
Oleg.
avatar
Oleg G

Posts : 162
Join date : 2016-05-12
Location : North-Eastern PA

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by messenger on 10/13/2018, 4:34 pm

I was told I had corp altunel (repetitive motion disease). I imagine it's close to what you have. I would wake up in the morning and my elbows would just be burning. My forearms were sore and would hurt to make a fist. It got so bad I thought I was going to have to make a claim for disability. A service writer at a dealership told me what he did to get relief. First thing that came out of my mouth was BS. I was getting desperate so I was willing to try anything. He told me to go into the golf section of Kmart (before Walmart) and buy a Chi Chi Rodriguez power band (bracelet) For $7 back then. Kinda cheesy but I did it. After a couple days I noticed an improvement. After 10 weeks I was 100% with no pain. YMMV. I wear a Sabona copper bracelet now. Not quite so cheesy looking.

Bill
avatar
messenger

Posts : 376
Join date : 2011-06-18
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by lablover on 10/13/2018, 4:41 pm

I’m willing to try anything!  And yes, I have the same issues when I wake up in the morning.

I have a elbow sleeve that is copper infused so I need to start wearing that as well.  I have used the sleeve and brace at the same time and was told at league that the sleeve was a no go!

lablover

Posts : 548
Join date : 2015-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by messenger on 10/13/2018, 4:43 pm

lablover wrote:I’m willing to try anything!  And yes, I have the same issues when I wake up in the morning.

I have a elbow sleeve that is copper infused so I need to start wearing that as well.  I have used the sleeve and brace at the same time and was told at league that the sleeve was a no go!

I have tried the Tommy copper stuff with no benefit.

Bill
avatar
messenger

Posts : 376
Join date : 2011-06-18
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by lablover on 10/13/2018, 4:46 pm

messenger wrote:
lablover wrote:I’m willing to try anything!  And yes, I have the same issues when I wake up in the morning.

I have a elbow sleeve that is copper infused so I need to start wearing that as well.  I have used the sleeve and brace at the same time and was told at league that the sleeve was a no go!

I have tried the Tommy copper stuff with no benefit.

Bill
Thanks Bill

lablover

Posts : 548
Join date : 2015-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by farmboy on 10/14/2018, 7:36 am

lablover wrote:This is a 2 part questionin and they sort of relate

I have tendinitis pretty bad in my right ( shooting arm) if I wear a small brace below my elbow, it helps a bit.  Working on exercises to strengthen.  First, is the brace legal during nra/Cmp matches?  With shooters elbow what have you found to work?

Ok, that was 2 questions so I was wrong.  I find the softer rubber type grips for some reason help with the pain.  Was shooting the S&W M41 today and that stock grip was slippery as hell as well did me no favors with pain.  Anyone know of any rubber type grips for the 41?  Fits my hand good but because it’s pretty slippery I have to grip it a bit tighter which causes pain. I’m not opposed to grip tape all over that 41 either.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated..  especially anyone who has had to deal with this

Thanks all

Joe
I had a severe case of it a few years ago. What helped me get over it was wearing the band 24hrs a day other than when showering.  I'm talking about the band the has the small pillow in it that pins the torn tendon to the bone and allow it to heal and not continue to tear.  It will take time to heal. Mine was so bad picking up a cup of coffee was painful if I was not wearing the band.  It does take a little bit to learn where to place the pillow part of the band to do the most good.

I continued to shoot and would use the band.  It has to be 2" or more from the elbow to be legal I believe. I would take advil or similar to help get through a match. I used my other arm to pull start lawnmowers, trimmers etc to avoid reinjury - that type of motion and force can put you back to square 1 pretty quick.

To assist with the grip strength while I was healing I used the grip powder. It worked well for me but one needs to clean it off the grips and and front and back straps after each use or it will building up and take more effort to clean off.
avatar
farmboy

Posts : 180
Join date : 2012-10-04
Age : 57
Location : Wichita, KS

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by dronning on 10/14/2018, 11:35 am

Had the elbow/shoulder pain also no feeling in my fingers.  Diagnosis was carpal tunnel, I tried therapy first with only minor relief, then a couple of cortisone shots, but finally I had the surgery.  Both wrists, one at a time of course, I wish I would have done it 2 years earlier.  No problem to pick up a dime off the floor now (other than bending over Smile).  I made one mistake though, my Doc, who was also a shooter, suggested I stay way from the 45 for least 90 days.  I was feeling so good I only waited 1/2 that it wasn't painful but I developed a flinch.

Good luck!
- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 65
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by Wes Lorenz on 10/14/2018, 9:37 pm

lablover wrote:
Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated..  especially anyone who has had to deal with this

Thanks all

Joe
Hi Joe,
Try a heavier recoil spring in your 45. If the recoil is braking your wrist it is too light. The problem with too light of a recoil spring is it allows the slide to bottom out on the frame and then transfers all of that energy right into your elbow. I watch this problem while running matches. It doesn't happen to HM's.
Also, my daughter is an RN and has me using Curcumin, a natural anti-inflammatory, instead of chemicals to relieve pain and it works!
Hope this helps,
Wes

Wes Lorenz

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-06-27
Location : Washington

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 part questions on pain,tendinitis and grips

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum