Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder Scale ?

+6
Bigtrout
noylj
fc60
spursnguns
messenger
cuslog
10 posters

Go down

Powder Scale ? Empty Powder Scale ?

Post by cuslog 10/23/2018, 3:57 pm

So, I'm loading 32 S&W Long with PB shotgun powder (~ 2.0 grains) Using an RCBS uniflow powder measure, I'm seeing variations of a tenth of a grain up or down occasionally. PB is a small flake powder very similar in appearance to Bullseye. I'm wondering if there's a better powder measure than what I'm currently using ? (especially considering the very small charges I'm throwing).

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Powder Scale ? Empty Re: Powder Scale ?

Post by messenger 10/23/2018, 4:02 pm

Sure there is. LOL

https://ce-products.myshopify.com/products/a-d-fx-120i-scale-autotrickler-v2-autothrow-combo

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 10/23/2018, 4:29 pm

Hello cuslog,

Herrell's Precision "Schuetzen/Pistol" powder measures....  http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/schuetzen-pistol-measure  ....

I have two and they meter all granular sizes and types accurately.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 10/23/2018, 4:31 pm

spursnguns wrote:Hello cuslog,

Herrell's Precision "Schuetzen/Pistol" powder measures....  http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/schuetzen-pistol-measure  ....

I have two and they meter all granular sizes and types accurately.

Jim

Will they measure less than two grains?

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 10/23/2018, 4:35 pm

Hello Bill,

I never go that light so you made me look.  No; nothing lower than 2.0 grains.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 10/23/2018, 5:42 pm

Greetings,

I have a Redding BR-30 measure with the Pistol insert.

Works rather well with the small charges.

I used to shoot PB, as well. I found that it metered quite well with my Star loader.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 10/23/2018, 8:55 pm

I use my ChargeMaster for such loads. With such small charges, it doesn't really get out of trickler speed.
You can take and file down a .22 LR case to get a charge just below what you want and use it as a dipper (solder or epoxy a paper clip as a handle) and then trickle up to what you want (the CM will do so with just a press of the trickle button).

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 10/24/2018, 10:05 am

With all due respect, have you cleaned the discharge chute, rotor, adjustment screw face and yoke?   Do you have a 100 gr rotor or the 50 gr rotor?   My Uniflow is spot on with Titegroup, BE-86 and CFE Pistol.  All 3 are small flake powders.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/24/2018, 10:10 am

I'm getting ready for loading 32 S&W and have been testing my Hornady LNL AP powder measure. With WST it is surprisingly consistent with drops in the range of 1.8 grains, I did several drops with it and measured with my RCBS digital scale and they were right on time and time again. My RCBS chargemaster doesn't handle small powers really well.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by cuslog 10/24/2018, 10:52 am

Bigtrout wrote:With all due respect, have you cleaned the discharge chute, rotor, adjustment screw face and yoke?   Do you have a 100 gr rotor or the 50 gr rotor?   My Uniflow is spot on with Titegroup, BE-86 and CFE Pistol.  All 3 are small flake powders.
Big:
Yes, I do have the small rotor in it -- cleaning all the insides might prove worthwhile.
I have wondered about my scale(s) too. I have a Lyman 1500 digital and an older RCBS beam type -- maybe a tenth of a grain resolution is simply beyond their capabilities ? Cool

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 10/24/2018, 10:55 am

PB - wow! They don't make that anymore.  I have used both the Lee Micro-disk and the Lee Auto-drum powder measures, and they both work well and are reasonable cost.  The Micro-disk was designed especially for situations like yours.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 10/24/2018, 10:59 am

cuslog,  Do you use check weights?  Try both scales with them.  1 gr to 5 gr should cover your range.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 10/24/2018, 11:43 am

Greetings,

If you are weighing individual charges, you are wasting your time.

Throw ten charges with a normal loading cadence. Then weight all ten and divide by ten.

Repeat the above several times. If you are metering accurately, all ten charges will weigh +/- 0.2 grains.

i.e. Target weight of 2.0 grains. Ten charges should consistently weigh 19.8-20.2 grains.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 10/24/2018, 5:58 pm

+1
Weighing charges is a waste of time.  This isn't bench rest.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

jcullen47 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 10/25/2018, 7:44 am

Dr.Don wrote:+1
Weighing charges is a waste of time.  This isn't bench rest.
The question was to get better powder throw consistency regardless of what sort of shooting is done  If his scales are lying to him that would be good to know.   Also weighing a 10-throw bulk may not give you a good handle on throw-to-throw consistency.    You can't be too anal when reloading; at least I can't.  FWIW.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by cuslog 10/25/2018, 9:43 am

oldsalt444 wrote:PB - wow! They don't make that anymore.  I have used both the Lee Micro-disk and the Lee Auto-drum powder measures, and they both work well and are reasonable cost.  The Micro-disk was designed especially for situations like yours.
Yeah, I quit shooting pistol for ~25 years, thought I'd give it a go once more -- using up some of the old powder bought back in the 80's probably. Doesn't smell bad, not clumping, goes bang !
I've got about a 30 year old pound of bullseye to burn through too. At 2.0 grain charges, it takes a bit of shooting to go through a pound !
Maybe stale powder is my problem  Razz Laughing  (more like older eyes and an old rotator cuff injury).

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Powder Scale ? Empty Powder Scale

Post by Capri 10/26/2018, 6:31 am

Hi, Try using a baffle in the measure to throw small charges, I find there is better consistancy  when there is no weight on the rotor. Capri.

Capri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down