ratio of front and rear sights

Go down

ratio of front and rear sights

Post by jmdavis on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am

I have always been told that for a normal 1911 a ratio of front sight width to rear notch with of 1:1 worked best. But I can't find a source for this. I know that my ball gun started life with a .134 front and a .115 rear. I had the rear opened to .125 and it is better (at Perry it is good even in Overcast conditions). I am thinking about opening the rear up to .134 or .135. Do any of the gunsmiths or older iron sight shooters (I'm 54 now, soon to be 55), think that's a bad idea?

I recently bought an Advantage Arms target conversion and those sights worked great in the same conditions that were a problem with the Service pistol. There is definitely more whitespace with the conversion slight more  than 1:2:1 sight ratio vs. well less than 1:2:1 with the ball gun. 

Thanks for any thoughts. 

Mike
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Re: ratio of front and rear sights

Post by Chris Miceli on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 am

i like a wide front sight with a rear sight notch that allows for a healthy amount of white spacing. I can't shoot a really tight white set of irons. I think the brain likes to see the amount of white on each side of the front sigh equal to how much you hold under the bull. Well my brain does....and its crazy!

Some will say finer white is more accurate, not sure if thats true or not. if all things are equal it will be an X.
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am

Hey Chris, 

In good light with no cover, it works ok. But I noticed at Durham that there were times that it was just too Narrow. 

I too like the same amount on each side as the amount under the bull. My thought is that explains the easier time I had with the AA Conversion. It's rear is wider.
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 am

Womp it out. More white space should allow you to accept your arc of movement better and have better trigger control.

"should"
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Rules of thumb will get you close, but will not be perfect for anyone. The correct size of front and rear sights will primarily depend on your arm length, sight radius, eyesight, lighting and hold stability. It might also depend on the size and appearance of your target and probably a few other things I haven't thought about.

Every factory sights I've held has too narrow a notch for me.
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum