Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?

+4
oldsalt444
Wobbley
Tim:H11
Michael C
8 posters

Go down

New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?  Empty New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?

Post by Michael C Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am

I am new to service pistol and bullseye shooting. Been shooting service rifle and Palma for many years. I learned to stop cleaning my rifles after every use as the US Army taught me as I learned from the accomplished shooters to wait until the rifle stopped shooting well. Or abut every 400 rounds or so. When do I clean my service pistol and my S&W 41? Mike

Michael C

Back to top Go down

New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?  Empty Re: New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?

Post by Tim:H11 Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:37 am

I reload for 45 ACP (my choice of service pistol caliber) and use Bullseye powder which shoots well but is very dirty. I clean when I notice a large build up on the feed ramp or when the hood keep coming back all fouled up. I don’t clean often. But I noticed an amount of fouling that starts to become risky for feed issues so I try to clean it then. It’s not a round count. I don’t count rounds. It’s more of a feeling for me and keeping an eye on the guns condition. 400/500 rounds ought to do it if your counting I would guess. 

22 I clean when it jams or two weeks or so prior to a match. I’m cleaning my 22 tonight for the up coming Talladega 600 but I’ll be running Ammo through it again for fouling reasons and double check it’s still zeroed and such. 

Big thing is to not over do it. Guns go through wear and tear on disassembly and reassembly if you’re not careful.

Back to top Go down

New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?  Empty Re: New guy here; how often do you clean your service pistol/22?

Post by Wobbley Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:42 am

I noticed that my CZ-75 combat training pistol gets very dirty and sluggish after about two 400 round sessions.  So sluggish you could Time the closing of the gun at a Mag change with a wristwatch....   so I’d clean it before then.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 am

That is good advice, thank you. I should have said that I am also shooting 45 (1911) service pistol and also reloading with Bullseye.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Service pistol - 200-300 rounds. Use a good lube like FP-10. It's the best for tight tolerances, IMHO.

.22 - I don't clean the barrel.  It shoots best when it's "seasoned" and scrubbing with Hoppe's and bore brushes removes that.  However, after 200-300 rounds, or if it starts to jam,  I will clean the bolt face, breech and clean the chamber only.  Use a .243 or .25 rifle bore brush, bend it into an "L" shape to make a little handle, and use bore solvent to clean the chamber.  Wipe the chamber with a patch or Q-tip.  Relube and assemble.  Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:11 am

Hey Mike, state indoor pistol championships are at Sebastopol December 15th and 16th. Good opportunity to clean your guns and then get them dirty. Good opportunity for a bear trophy too.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:01 am

Started shooting government provided guns with guys that would clean the bore of their 45 but nothing more than that until obviously dirty or malfunctions started.  Flash forward a couple of decades and I find myself with personal $3000 guns built by guys with tool and die maker skills.  I take the top end off my centerfire guns and clean every 100 rounds.  I detail strip, clean and inspect the frame once a year.  22s?  Keep the chamber and bolt face clean.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you to everyone! John, thanks for the heads up about the Sebastopol matches. I had no idea and I am a member there!

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Workman Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 pm

About every 3-400 rounds or before a match. I don't scrub the bore of my .22. I scrub the chamber and use a bore snake.

Kermit Workman

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Marine manual for precision pistols says clean every 500 rounds for a 45. Says not to remove bushing but @ 1000 rounds. I was told by a high master he only cleans his 22 when his groups open up. I'm not that good to be able to tell when that is.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down