Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking at Marvel conversion

+9
zanemoseley
CraigB5940
STEVE SAMELAK
Tim:H11
jglenn21
Dr.Don
Jon Eulette
JKR
losi b
13 posters

Go down

Looking at Marvel conversion Empty Looking at Marvel conversion

Post by losi b 11/30/2018, 7:42 am

[size=81] I have been looking at picking up a Marvel type 1 conversion for my RO with an UD2 mounted on it.  I was wondering how the aluminum lock back versions hold up over time.[/size]

losi b

Back to top Go down

Looking at Marvel conversion Empty Re: Looking at Marvel conversion

Post by JKR 11/30/2018, 9:12 am

I've had better luck with the Nelson conversion. I replace several firing pins and two slides on my Marvel during the time I owned it. To be fair, I shot it a lot over about six years. I've had a couple Nelsons that I've given to my sons on lowers that I put together for them. They've run very well with no breakdowns. I'm currently waiting for my third one. I ordered a combo unit this time. All my sons are properly equipped so I should get to keep this one.

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/30/2018, 10:26 am

I like the Marvel non-lock back version. I think it was a bad idea how they added a larger chunk of material on the slide to aid in wear for locking back. Most of them get chewed up from the slide stop because it doesn’t fully engage the slide lock catch. Also when you use thumb to release the slide it will hit your thumb. Poorly designed in my opinion. I have a non-lockback and a steel slide lockback that I don’t lockback Wink I prefer a old used Marvel over all the available conversions out there. They have the best barrels and will really shoot well.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 11/30/2018, 12:36 pm

Lockback is over rated once you get used to not having it.  Some of the high end Euroguns (Pardini, etc.) don't have it at all.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/30/2018, 12:41 pm

I love my older non lockback.  Took some time to get it right for the ammo it likes, but is now 100%
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/30/2018, 1:55 pm

I have an older non lock back. Dang fine shooting piece of equipment. I can’t say much for current production.

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 11/30/2018, 2:22 pm

I have the steel lock back edition & it runs like a Swiss watch on CCI std velocity ammo.
5 styles of magazines an have not had an alibi not related to bad priming.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Looking at Marvel conversion Empty I've got a new steel lock back and it works great

Post by CraigB5940 11/30/2018, 3:11 pm

I've got a new steel lock back and it works great. I got it last year, It took about 800 rounds to break in but it is very reliable and accurate with CCI SV.

I'm at about 4K rounds in 10 months. The slide stop had to be replaced because it burred up on the edge but the new owner (Travis) told me it was a due to the steel the prior owner choose for the part. He replaced at no charge it with a new unit he made from harder steel and it works great.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/30/2018, 3:32 pm

Lol so what is the excuse for the burring up on the Aluminum version. You could have gutted a fish with mine. I've peeled away all the sharp bits and Jon has it tuned to not lock back. The Nelson method with the embedded steel pin works much better.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 11/30/2018, 4:40 pm

Jon Eulette wrote: Wink I prefer a old used Marvel over all the available conversions out there. They have the best barrels and will really shoot well.
Jon
 How old are you talking about and how do you identify the age. I have one I haven't been using.....maybe I should be.

Non lock back

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 11/30/2018, 4:59 pm

I can't speak to the lock back versions but have an non-lock back Marvel Al slide on a dedicated NM frame. Shot a Ruger Mk3 before this and it was a great improvement for me as I prefer 1911 straight back trigger pull.  But to make it run well with CCI SV I needed to install a reduced power hammer spring and 8# recoil spring (comes with 9#) so be prepared to make some tweaks there.  Runs near 100% reliable now so long as it is fouled after cleaning. Most on forum seem to favor Nelson and that's fine but been happy with Marvel and their customer service.
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/30/2018, 5:11 pm

TomH_pa wrote:
Jon Eulette wrote: Wink I prefer a old used Marvel over all the available conversions out there. They have the best barrels and will really shoot well.
Jon
 How old are you talking about and how do you identify the age. I have one I haven't been using.....maybe I should be.

Non lock back
I’m not the best one to Date the Marvel changes over the years. This is probably a good STICKY to make for identifying the years/changes; barrel blank manufacturer, extractor width, etc. I don’t know if serial numbers play a role as well. I just know from experience the early conversions shoot better than current/recent conversions. I know you could pay extra for a better grouping barrel, but I believe the early pistols all shot excellent due to Shilen barrel blanks. I have personally Ransom tested several 0.5-0.6 barrels with many different ammunitions. Mid 2000’s (05-06) were good years.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 11/30/2018, 5:17 pm

Ok, thanks
I guess the best thing to do is have a Ransom rest shoot off ,see which one wins

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by losi b 11/30/2018, 9:16 pm

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like I'll be going with the non lock back. I only saw a couple of comments on the aluminum model though. Has anybody noticed any negatives with using the aluminum version?

losi b

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 11/30/2018, 10:32 pm

Mine came with an aluminium slide. Cracked it after a few years...had a steel slide for a loooonnnngggggg time...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 12/1/2018, 8:26 am

I also have a new (this year) steel lockback.  It is unreliable with Norma Match (too soft) but runs fine with Federal 711B, old Western SuperMatch MkIV, CCI SV.  Pretty doggone accurate.  Keeps up with my HS Victor.  Running it in a George Madore SA 1911 frame with EGW 19# mainspring, EGW lightened hammer and the as-rec'd 6# recoil spring.  I use the Marvel plastic mags and GSG metal with a standard mag release.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down