Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reload consistency

5 posters

Go down

Reload consistency Empty Reload consistency

Post by togfish 11/17/2012, 6:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the .45 bullseye game. Been shooting a few matches for a few months now. I'm using a Colt 70 series that has had some accurizing work done by one of the better known .45 pistolsmiths. I'm reloading 4.0g of Bullseye with Zero 185g hpswc bullets. I am using a Lee Turret Press. My shots rarely go to call. Groups are in the 6 to 8" catagory at 25 yds. Can this press with the sliding disc powder measure be the culprit? My OAL's can vary about a thousanth or two either way also. I hope it's the ammo. May be getting a Dillon 550 for Xmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bob
togfish
togfish

Back to top Go down

Reload consistency Empty Re: Reload consistency

Post by Steve B 11/17/2012, 7:32 pm

6-8" from your hand standing?

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by togfish 11/17/2012, 7:36 pm

Yes.
togfish
togfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 11/17/2012, 9:26 pm

How does the gun shoot with other ammo?

If you were having vertical stringing, I'd say MAYBE it was the powder drop.

What are you crimping them to? I only get iffy ammo performance if I haven't crimped enough. I do .468" ish.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 11/17/2012, 10:37 pm

Try shooting off a rest and see how it does.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 11/17/2012, 11:27 pm

Charge weight variations only show up, in my experience, out beyond 50 yards, and my Lee Pro Auto-Disks throw powder at least as well as my Dillon and Hornady measures.
If you are concerned, get an RCBS ChargeMaster.
I have over 10 guns in .45Auto and NONE of them, even several accurized ones, do NOT shoot Bullseye well. It may be nearly universal in Bullseye competition, but my guns have always done better with 231/HP38 and AA2.
Load development does NOT consist of guessing at a load and jumping into it. You start at the lowest starting load and work your way up, looking for a range in charge weights that is most accurate, over a rest. You must try and eliminate the human element.
For Zero 185gn L-SWCHP, my most accurate loads have been 231/HP38 at 4.8-5.2gn and AA2 at 3.3-4.3gn. N310 at 3.8gn, Red Dot at 4.1gn, and Solo 1000 at 4.0gn have also been accurate (based on 2 to 6 groups with each pistol at 25 yards) but these powders have not been accurate at charge weights much below or above these weights.
I found the Zero 200gn L-SWC is much more accurate in my guns.
With 200gn bullets, 4.0-5.4gn of 231/HP38 is very accurate, with the sweet spot seemingly at 4.7-4.9gn for the 4 guns used for testing.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by togfish 11/18/2012, 5:32 am

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I have not had a chance to do any testing with other ammo or bench rest. This is a huge oversight on my part. I am crimping to .469 as measured by caliper and even micrometer. Not vertical stringing, so probably not powder drop. I can try other powder as I am almost out of Bullseye, but I think I need to do some bench testing as recommended by everyone. Must eliminate the human element. Thanks guys for getting me thinking correctly! Bob
togfish
togfish

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 11/18/2012, 7:21 am

Why not just call your "better known" pistolsmith and ask him. He should be able to direct you towards several loads that work and have an idea of what might be wrongif it's not the loads. Sometimes a simple phone call can save a whole lot ot time.

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down