WTB: Range Box

Go down

WTB: Range Box

Post by dstates on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 pm

New Bullseye shooter here... I'm looking for a range box similar to the Pachmayr or Gun-Ho style. 3 gun is big enough for me, but I'm not picky. It would be great if a spotting scope was included.

dstates

Back to top Go down

Re: WTB: Range Box

Post by BE Mike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 am

I have had a few gun boxes over the years. I presently have a Precision Pistol Box. It is really a nice box for the money and you can order it customized with scope holder, etc. Here is the link: http://www.precisionpistolbox.com/
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

I see used gun boxes on ebay all the time, another great choice that many shooters are going to is the strong box sold by bullseye gear. com, there is a link to them on the home page of this forum, they sell for 169.00 - 225.00 they come with scope mounts too.
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyFish on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am

As a considerably less-expensive alternative, one of the guys on our team recently showed up with the SportLock aluminum case. It looks to be a good value for the price (less than $100). The "rack" that holds the gun barrels inexplicably has an exposed threaded bolt that could scratch steel, but it can be easily covered up with tape or something fancier.

He got his from Bullseyegear, who currently list them as out of stock, but they appear to be available directly from SportLock:

http://www.sportlockllc.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=00015

FlyFish

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 pm

FlyFish wrote:As a considerably less-expensive alternative, one of the guys on our team recently showed up with the SportLock aluminum case. It looks to be a good value for the price (less than $100). The "rack" that holds the gun barrels inexplicably has an exposed threaded bolt that could scratch steel, but it can be easily covered up with tape or something fancier.

He got his from Bullseyegear, who currently list them as out of stock, but they appear to be available directly from SportLock:

http://www.sportlockllc.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=00015
No offense intended, but these boxes are really cheaply made. If you get to really look hard at one of these, you will see that they won't hold up to years of use from a very active bullseye pistol shooter. They would probably be ok for the occasional plinker who goes to the range a couple of times a year.
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by FlyFish on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:28 pm

BE Mike wrote:No offense intended, but these boxes are really cheaply made. If you get to really look hard at one of these, you will see that they won't hold up to years of use from a very active bullseye pistol shooter. They would probably be ok for the occasional plinker who goes to the range a couple of times a year.

No offense taken. I certainly didn't mean to imply, and in fact tried to indicate, that the SportLock boxes aren't the equivalent of the more expensive options, but I do think they provide an alternative for those who don't anticipate heavy use and/or don't have the resources to invest in one of the more traditional boxes. The one guy I know who uses one is certainly more than an occasional plinker and the box appears to be serving him well.

FlyFish

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Guys, thanks for all of the info. I've actually found all of these on the web. I'm tempted to get the kit from precision pistol box, but I'm more looking to find someone selling a used one. I've spent enough on my pistol and ammo that I'm trying not to spend so much on a range box and spotting scope.
Anyone on here tempted to buy a new box like the one's mentioned above and sell me your old one???

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm

check ebay frequently There are pachmayr boxes that pop up all the time for reasonable prices.

Also, unless you are taking your gun box with you on a safari or throw it out the window, most of the time your gun box is sitting in your car trunk, on the shooting bench, or sitting in your garage. So uh... yes a sturdy box is great, but it doesn't take much for a box to withstand the rigors of bullseye shooting. Just my two cents.

I had a pachmayr box I bought second hand which was perfectly fine but a bit heavy. I use the precision pistol box (mentioned above) 3gun compact box which is perfect for my needs.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Pistol Box

Post by Greg Walloch on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Dstates,
Give me a call. I've got enough used boxes that I can find something that will match up with up with your needs.

Greg Walloch
Precision Pistol Boxes
(949) 280-7092

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Last year, when I started out in this sport my budget was so limited, I built my own box with materials I already had. This year, I could buy one, but I have gotten attached to mine Smile

So if you see a guy on the line with a blue pistol box with a green lid, stop by and say hi! My daughters picked out the paint from my collection in the garage.

When someone shows me how many points they gained with a good pistol box, I will dump mine and buy it.

I will be the first to say that if you have the money, buy a box. Building one takes more time than its worth. I know from experience.
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:32 am

Well I have a box, did not really want to sell it, its a rare design mostly used by the military, It holds two scoped guns, made by GunHo and includes a nice spotting scope with gil hebard scope mount. It has history, its been to camp perry more times than I have lol! If this will help you out, 160.00 includes shipping, the scope and mount are worth about that. if interested contact me at hwy92gun@bellsouth.net
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 pm

What a great little box. Definitely won't tip over like mine would.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 pm

jakuda wrote:What a great little box. Definitely won't tip over like mine would.

Yes that is a advantage in camp perry winds, one reason i was hanging on to it. But i already have a primary and a back up box.
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:10 am

One of my parents' two is available, but they are more than 100 miles away.

Early 1960s vintage, one uses a rod mount for the spotting scope, the other has a direct to the open lid screw mount. 3-gun designs, I think one holds them vertically and the other has flat rotate-out drawers. One's blue and the other is kinda burgundy. Shall I arrange for pics on Tuesday??? Dad REALLY wanted his to go to a Bullseye Shooter.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

your search for Range box with scope......

Post by albertrichard123 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:28 am

Have both in like new condition, if still looking email me at ardickharris1@sbcglobal.net and I will send pics and pricing.
Box:Strong Box 3 gun with scope mount
scope: 15x45 zoom w/60mm lense
ARH

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 am

DavidR,
Thanks for posting your box. It looks like it is in great shape. I think I will pass on that one, though, because of the amount of table space it takes when open. The range I shoot indoor Bullseye at doesn't have much shelf space at the line.
Thanks!
dstates

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:23 am

albertrichard123 wrote:Have both in like new condition, if still looking email me at ardickharris1@sbcglobal.net and I will send pics and pricing.
Box:Strong Box 3 gun with scope mount
scope: 15x45 zoom w/60mm lense
ARH

ARH,
Email sent.
dstates

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am

GrumpyOldMan wrote:One of my parents' two is available, but they are more than 100 miles away.

Early 1960s vintage, one uses a rod mount for the spotting scope, the other has a direct to the open lid screw mount. 3-gun designs, I think one holds them vertically and the other has flat rotate-out drawers. One's blue and the other is kinda burgundy. Shall I arrange for pics on Tuesday??? Dad REALLY wanted his to go to a Bullseye Shooter.

GrumpyOldMan,
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know by PM later this weekend if I am still looking.
dstates

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by mt2020 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Check this link out
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/pistol-competition/198563-locally-made-range-boxes.html

mt2020

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Sorry I didn't update sooner, but I was able to purchase a box from one the members from here. You guys are a great bunch. I should get it soon.

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Dstates,

Don't leave us in suspense!!! Tell us about your first match.

Greg Walloch

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Greg,
I had a great first match. My goal was to shoot 800/900 and I shot an 809! I've really been studing and practicing the last couple of months. I've found good info on this site, the Bullseye Encylopedia site and I read the Pistol Shooter's Treasurery.
I should be getting my pistol box this week, too. My next step is to make some tweaks to my pistol. Currently I'm shooting a stock Ruger Mark III with a Millet SP-2 red dot. I've ordered a new hammer bushing and I might order a VQ sear. I really need a 45 now.
Thanks for all of the support!

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by rob5r on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Someone has an old brown, Pachmayr box for sale on the Virginia Gun Trader.

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/497691/WTT_WTS_Pistol_shooters_box#.UVD90Vt37CF

rob5r

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:01 am

A lot of those old gun boxes don't have room for scope mounted guns.
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum