Calling shots

Go down

Calling shots

Post by Flytrap1 on 3/13/2013, 9:54 am

Could some explain "calling your shots"? How do you practice this technique?

Flytrap1

Back to top Go down

Re: Calling shots

Post by DavidR on 3/13/2013, 11:04 am

Its just being conscience of where the dot ( or sight) is when the shot breaks, if the gun is accurate and zeroed then you should be able to "call" the location the bullet hit the target.If you were able to then that is a shot that was "on call", it takes time to develop but it will come.
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m on 3/13/2013, 6:36 pm

An example is if your dot is perfectly lined up when you pulled the trigger and the shot went off and you did not move the sites you should be able to call your shot as a dead center X. Then your second shot and the shot went off and the dot was high at 12 o'clock but not out of the black you might call it a 9 or just inside the 10 ring on the timed fire target.

Irons work the same way but you have some more factors to consider. If the sights are lined up with respect to each other but your point of aim was high or to the right. The front sight may not be lined up with the rear sight. It will take longer to call shots accurately

It is a very important skill to have but like DavidR said it takes time to develop. When you develop the skill enough you should be able to get your sights adjusted in just a few shots depending on your skill level.
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales on 3/13/2013, 8:24 pm

Calling your shot starts with an instant mental photograph of what things looked like as the shot broke.

Was the dot centered? Was it moving as the shot broke?

With irons, were the sights aligned? Was your sight picture correct?
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_D on 3/14/2013, 6:17 am

Calling shots accurately comes in different stages over time and ability. When I was shooting in the 260~ 270 range, I could call gross shots there were pretty far out in the white. I could not call an 8 from a 9 or a 10 on a sustained fire target.

When my abilities improved to where I was shooting consistently in the high 280s low 290s, I became more adept at calling 8s and 9s on slow fire targets.

About 50% of the time, I make the call based on the "shot break visual image" and the other 50% of the time I can call based on how the shot broke or felt when it broke. Very often I know when I did something wrong - most of the time it is poor trigger control or making a last millisecond aim adjustment.

Prior to being comfortable with calling my shots, I would use the spotting scope for every slow fire shot to see where I hit. Now, for the most part, I only use the spotting scope to score the target at the end of the string.

I do believe that calling shots accurately comes when you refine your trigger control to the point where you are not forcing a shot and not forcing the pull when you think the sight picture is perfect.

Chris

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X on 3/14/2013, 4:57 pm

Finally a great question! What is "calling your shots" and how to do it? This is probably the most important part of the visual aspect of shooting. Calling the shot is the ability to actually see the relationship of the front and rear (open sights) or the dot and target (dot sights) when the gun fires. Not when the trigger press started, not when we were just looking at the dot, not when the sights seemed to stop or not stop, but that moment when the bullet leaves the barrel. You need to actually SEE this relationship in order to call the shot. Funny thing is that most beginners have trouble because they still "blink" (at least some)when the sear trips, or are staring at the target, not the front sight, or any number of other things such as trying to press the trigger. Also people try to see the dot or sights when they are "still" and that ain't going to happen either. Keep watching the sight / dot and press that trigger all the way through, evenly and with purpose but not haste. You will know you can call your shots when you can see the muzzle flash from your shot. I could go on, but this is a start.

# 1, use plugs and muffs
# 2, see the dot or target with dots and only the front sight with open sights
#3, do not see anything else.
#4 replay that picture in your mind before scoping the target
#5 make a note of what you think it was
#6 then compare with the scope.

Good luck and keep thinking about this one. It will get you to High Master.

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X on 3/14/2013, 7:39 pm

Ok, now that we've gotten started with trying to call the shots, how do we get better at it?

Just dryfire. That's really one of the best benefits of dryfiring. There is no noise, recoil, or most times even target to distract us from watching (and developing the habit of always watching) the dot or front sight.

Pretty simple in theory, but in practice it takes training.

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Flytrap1 on 3/14/2013, 8:16 pm

Thanks Cecil I appreciate you taking the time and effort to explain it to me.

Flytrap1

Back to top Go down

Post by Flytrap1 on 3/14/2013, 8:19 pm

And everyone else !!!! Thank you all.

Flytrap1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: