Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LSWC Bullets

+3
blackhawk44
pergoman
Rob Kovach
7 posters

Go down

LSWC Bullets Empty LSWC Bullets

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 am

I recently recieved 1500 LSWC bullets from a buddy. The one on the left is a ZERO 185 LSWC--note the flat base. This is what I have used since I started reloading and they are very accurate. I only have about 100 left.
I now have 500 of the middle 185gr LSWC bullets, and they have a slight bevel at the base, and I have no idea what the alloy is.
I also have 1000 of the bullet shown on the right. They are made by Alpha Bullet in Illinois, and are 200gr LSWC. I am not sure of the alloy on those either.
Does anyone have any comments about these bullets?

LSWC Bullets Wp_00011
https://i.servimg.com/u/f71/17/07/08/60/wp_00010.jpg
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

LSWC Bullets Empty Re: LSWC Bullets

Post by pergoman Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 pm

I would load any of them with the same recipes as I have used for numerous, similar projectiles. The only thing on my setup that might need a tweak would be the seater stem. I want a fingernail thickness of lead sticking out of the cases.

pergoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 am

The good news is the tops are all the same tallness. No adjustments for the seater.
Any opinions on the tapered bases?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackhawk44 Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:47 am

The bullet on the right is from the Magma mould used by every volume cast bullet seller. Not sure of the center one. I'd use those two for short range practice and order more Zero's from Rose Dist.

blackhawk44

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm

The 200 is the standard hg68 style, very accurate, 3.8-4.1 bullseye will send them into the xring, the middle is the same thing except in 185 gr, load the same way, the left is a zero copy of the famous star 185, lswc-hp bullet, these can also be found at delta precision bullets.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:03 pm

Glad to hear! I will load em up. David R.'s formula is the same as mine. It's nice to get good stuff.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Load based on shoulder exposed from case mouth and NOT by the bullet tip.
Use the shoulder to minimize head space.
If your seating plug seats on the bullet head, the 200gn will probably need to have the seating stem raised a little to maintain enough shoulder exposed.
The amount of shoulder exposed may be "a fingernail thickness" in some guns, but will be significantly more in other bores, all depending on individual bore dimension.
No biggie, but is minimizing group size is desirable...

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 pm

That's what I mean noylj, these bullets have all the same distance between the top (that touches the seating plug) and the shoulder.
No matter which bullet I'm using, the same amount of shoulder is exposed without changing the adjustment on my seating dies. I love it when a plan comes together.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:32 pm

I realize this is an old thread but it's my understanding that all Zero LSWC .45 ACP bullets are swagged and that all of the swagged bullets I've seen have the same flat bottom.  The other bullets are cast and all of those I've seen have the rounded bottoms.  Do the flat bottom bullets provide more seating surface?  Is that in part what makes them more accurate?  I realize the swagged bullets also use softer lead.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 pm

beeser wrote:I realize this is an old thread but it's my understanding that all Zero LSWC .45 ACP bullets are swagged and that all of the swagged bullets I've seen have the same flat bottom.  The other bullets are cast and all of those I've seen have the rounded bottoms.  Do the flat bottom bullets provide more seating surface?  Is that in part what makes them more accurate?  I realize the swagged bullets also use softer lead

I think it has to do with less gas cutting on the base of the bullet when the bottoms are flat compared to a bevel base. I have always found flat base to be more accurate but it just might be a difference that's between my ears and no where else. Lots of people report the same accuracy with flat or bevel base of the same design. Bevel base come out of the mold easier than flat base when cast and IMHO for no other reason that's why they exist. So commercial casters can cast more and not be knocking bullets out of the mold.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 am

If I could shot only one bullet in my .45s, it would be either the Zero 200gn swaged L-SWC or Precision Bullets 200gn swaged/coated L-SWC. Both are extremely accurate. The Zero seems to shoot best with 0.2-0.3gn less powder than the Precision.
My seating die seats against the shoulder, so the nose makes no difference and all SWCs are seated with the same amount to shoulder exposure.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down