Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case Sorting by Head Stamp

+14
noylj
Taroman
Toz35m
TampaTim
bdutton
Jerry Keefer
Dave C.
Virgil Kane
DavidR
Chris_D
WVBE Shooter
DeweyHales
Rob Kovach
shoot308
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Case Sorting by Head Stamp - Page 2 Empty Case Sorting by Head Stamp

Post by shoot308 3/31/2013, 3:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Being new to bullseye pistol does it pay to sort cases by head stamp in 38 Special and 45 ACP? My skill is improving and I can hold the black on the 25 yard target slow fire. Should I just segregate for 50 yard ammo or for both or not worry about it? Thanks.
Brian R

shoot308

Back to top Go down

Case Sorting by Head Stamp - Page 2 Empty Re: Case Sorting by Head Stamp

Post by noylj 4/12/2013, 8:34 pm

You need to have confidence in your load, so if you think sorting helps, maybe it does.
I have tried many double-blind tests and dammit but the mixed brass, and I do mean mixed, always come out as accurate or more accurate as sorted brass. If a double-blind test, repeated several times, shows no difference, I tend to lean that it just doesn't matter.
Trigger time is infinitely more valuable.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/13/2013, 9:30 am

depends if the cases are all of the same dimensions, if so yes they will shoot good.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 4/13/2013, 10:20 am

The original poster mentioned both .45 and .38 Sorting for the .45 has been addressed. I also load .38SPL 148g wadcutters. It too has its own set of requirements:

When loading cast bullets do not use military or +P cases. If you do you can expect wrinkled cartridges near the base of the bullet. Also don't use them with swaged bullets the thicker walls will result in smaller diameter bullets. .38 cal bullets have a hard enough time getting to the X at 50 yards. I recommend R-P brass, as it has the thinnest walls. Use Remington 148g HBWC. Save the other stuff for DR loads.
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda 4/13/2013, 3:27 pm

I ran into this this morning, but with an added variable which makes it a step more difficult to pin point. I have a lot of once-fired Federal brass from my range which the sheriff's department also uses. I also have a bunch of once-fired 1970s Federal military brass (from hardball ammo) I've been stockpiling.

This morning I was shooting slowfire and my shots were landing 3" lower than expected. Consistently. For many many moons, I've been using the same load with little-to-no adjustment. After giving up, I bumped it up 6 clicks and landed in the x-ring, but I was confused on why my shots were way off to begin with.

The brass I normally shoot at 50 yards is the 1970s federal stuff, but this morning was the new/modern brass.

That being said, the other variable was that this batch of ammo was using CCI primers versus my normal Winchester.

Do the primers affect the shot "that" much or is the mostly the primer hole?

Below is my target after I finally clicked up 6 clicks in one go. (ignore the 22 holes; I reused someone's old center)
The shot in the 7 ring, was pre adjustment. I called it in the 8/9 ring at 7 oclock but it landed out. The following 10 shots were after adjustment. Good target, but annoyed that my ammunition was not a constant (ignoring sun/weather for the moment).

Case Sorting by Head Stamp - Page 2 8646679714_4d80bc794c_z

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/15/2013, 10:14 am

Anything that effects ignition & case pressure will effect point of impact, think of a primer like a car battery, a strong one will provide more power and a faster start, a weak one will start the car but may take a little longer. WLP are hotter than CCI, its a known fact, Id say you might have only been off 3 clicks if you had used WLP and the new style cases, thats about what mine did, a 10 became a 8, 9. Consistency is the key, any combo will work as good as the next if they are all the same and zeroed
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lilski 5/16/2013, 2:19 pm

I do sort my cases (for my 45) and I think I makes a small difference. Its not that the cases are good or bad it is the volume of the case that you need to keep the same. Even a small change will make a 9 an 8. I would shoot a great target (indoor 50') and every now and than I would have a flier it would cost me a point or 2 add that up over 3 or even 9 targets you could lose up to 18 points. So if you are worried about a few points a match than yes sort them but if you don't worry than just shoot what you got. Would you rather shoot a 287 or a 290. just my 2 cents

lilski

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 5/17/2013, 6:48 am

lilski wrote:I do sort my cases (for my 45) and I think I makes a small difference. Its not that the cases are good or bad it is the volume of the case that you need to keep the same. Even a small change will make a 9 an 8. I would shoot a great target (indoor 50') and every now and than I would have a flier it would cost me a point or 2 add that up over 3 or even 9 targets you could lose up to 18 points. So if you are worried about a few points a match than yes sort them but if you don't worry than just shoot what you got. Would you rather shoot a 287 or a 290. just my 2 cents

Fliers are way more likely caused by:
variations in bullet weights
variations in powder charge
variations in crimp
shooter error
than by case variation, especially at 50 feet.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2