Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotting scope recommendations

5 posters

Go down

Spotting scope recommendations Empty Spotting scope recommendations

Post by Swarfmonger Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Hello folks,
I am looking for a reasonably priced spotting scope that is compact enough to fit in an average pistol box and has an angled eye piece. A recent injury requires me to glass my shots with my dominant eye and it seems too difficult to do with my straight eye piece. Any help anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Swarfmonger

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope recommendations Empty Re: Spotting scope recommendations

Post by DavidR Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Try champions choice, they have a line of scopes with their name they sell that work good and priced right.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pergoman Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 pm

I give a thumbs up to the Barska which Midway has packaged with a rifle scope for.....get this.... Under $100! I have one and love it. It is small, angled, clear, compact, and works great in my bullseye box. Don't let the ridiculously low price fool you. This is a really decent scope for this discipline. Yes, I have much more expensive scopes for spotting 17 caliber holes at 500 yards but they are bigger, heavier, etc.

pergoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:27 am

That's good to hear about the Barska, but I'd like to hear more about any scope that can pick up .17 cal holes at 500 yds. I think I'd like to hear even more about a .17 that will make holes at 500.

JS

Back to top Go down

Post by pergoman Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:05 am

With the 17's we are talking about centerfire rather than rimfire. I know a guy who uses a 17 for shooting 1000yards at the range near Williamsport. This is extremely specialized equipment and he actually makes his own tips. I shoot a 17 Mach IV moving a 20 grain v-max at 4100fps (yes, chronoed it) to dent the prarie dog populations throughout the west. I have also used it at paper groundhog shoots which go out to 500 yards here in Pa. Even 30 cal holes are hard to see when they are in the black. The misses in the white are easy to spot.

pergoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 am

You don't say.....

JS

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope recommendations Empty spotting scope

Post by tenx9 Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Don't go crazy. On a pistol box where the longest distance is 50yds no more than 20x eyepiece and 40mm or so objective end is all you need. You can easily spot .22 holes at that distance. I've been using a Bushnell spotter for over 20 years with no problems. If however, you're shooting pistol silohuette and distances go to 100yds then a better scope is needed.

tenx9

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Consider the Alpen 730 - 15x-30x by 50mm. $99 from LGI (Larry's Guns). Pretty good eye relief-and, for the $s, very good optics. -- 6? of us at my club use this spotter. Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down