Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 ammo help

+8
John
Wingshot
sixftunda
Dr.Don
Tom Jadlos
bdutton
DavidR
lilski
12 posters

Go down

22 ammo help Empty 22 ammo help

Post by lilski 5/16/2013, 12:11 pm

First off just want to say hello I'm new to the sight. My question is I have been using CCI SV for almost 15 years for my matches. I would not change for any reason untill one day I got some SK standard plus in a trade and my scores went up a few points. Now I would like to try some other types but which ones will work best for indoor bullseye. Eley has a new one out also called Edge has anyone tried it. Any one have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

lilski

Back to top Go down

22 ammo help Empty Re: 22 ammo help

Post by DavidR 5/16/2013, 2:57 pm

No, never seen it but unless your shooting 50 yards any good target ammo will shoot 10 shots that a dime will cover so it boils down to which your gun likes best, and what you can find at a decent price these days. I like eley sport, aguila sv which is the same thing made in the same plant in mexico, sk pistol match is good, wolf has two grades, both are made by sk, one is what you have and the higher priced one is pistol match. So they shoot good too.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton 5/17/2013, 7:32 am

lilski wrote:First off just want to say hello I'm new to the sight. My question is I have been using CCI SV for almost 15 years for my matches. I would not change for any reason untill one day I got some SK standard plus in a trade and my scores went up a few points. Now I would like to try some other types but which ones will work best for indoor bullseye. Eley has a new one out also called Edge has anyone tried it. Any one have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Number one thing to remember is that whatever ammo you shoot it MUST be reliable during timed and rapid fire.

Number two thing to consider is if you are shooting indoor 50 feet, the difference in accuracy of Eley Tenex and Eley sport is negligible.

I picked up a few bricks of Edge for my daughter to shoot smallbore rifle matches with. She usually shoots wolf target match (I also prefer wolf for bullseye pistol). She was drilling dime sized groups in prone at 50 yards. very nice ammo and much more accurate than the wolf.

But if you are shooting bullseye pistol, and unless you are a high master, any reliable ammo will do fine. Wolf Match Target and Jagd SK standard are the same ammo. Aguilla SV is also very good. If you want to try something better without breaking the bank you might try Eley Club, Wolf Match Extra or Jagd Rifle/Pistol Match. To put this into context, I shot an 889 using wolf ammo at 50 feet indoors and I think my outdoor high was an 884 (50 yards slow).
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Jadlos 5/17/2013, 9:48 am

Good Morning,

I'm relatively new to shooting Bullseye and have a question pertaining to this topic. My S&W model 41 functions reliably with CCI SV which is almost impossible to find at a reasonable price. Is the .22 rimfire Aguila SV mentioned in this thread the ammunition sold by the CMP? If so, should I expect the same reliability from the Aguila as I experience with the CCI. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton 5/17/2013, 10:45 am

Tom Jadlos wrote:Good Morning,

I'm relatively new to shooting Bullseye and have a question pertaining to this topic. My S&W model 41 functions reliably with CCI SV which is almost impossible to find at a reasonable price. Is the .22 rimfire Aguila SV mentioned in this thread the ammunition sold by the CMP? If so, should I expect the same reliability from the Aguila as I experience with the CCI. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tom

Yes... generally speaking Aguilla is about the same. Some guns are finicky and might prefer CCI over Aguilla or visa-versa. As always, you should test your rgun with an assortment of ammo and then stick with what works best.

Last edited by bdutton on 5/17/2013, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : run to gun)
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 5/17/2013, 11:55 am

I had several 41s and they preferred cci over aguilla. Aguilla shoots great in European guns, but my rugers also didnt like it. I would try and find someone to give you a box to function test before buying a case.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Jadlos 5/17/2013, 2:11 pm

Thank you for your comments.

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lilski 5/22/2013, 5:02 am

Thanks for all the tips. I think I will try the new Edge from Eley and see how it shoots at 50'. My goal is to get to high master so 1 or 2 points on my average will help.

lilski

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 5/22/2013, 10:59 am

Champions Choice is currently showing SK Pistol Match Special as in stock. This is a mid-price ammo at $7.25/50, $69/500, $660/5000 plus shipping. SK loads Wolf, so i suspect this is pretty similar to Wolf Match Extra at roughly the same pricing. I have a brick enroute but have not yet tried it myself.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda 5/23/2013, 7:04 pm

I broke down and bought some CCI Std. Velocity on gunbroker today. I had enough to compete through the year but not practice. Then I got invited to join a league last week. Paid 160.00 for 1000 rounds which is cheaper than it was going for on gunbroker last month.

Needless to say I will never allow this to happen again.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingshot 5/23/2013, 7:31 pm

sixftunda wrote:I broke down and bought some CCI Std. Velocity on gunbroker today. I had enough to compete through the year but not practice. Then I got invited to join a league last week. Paid 160.00 for 1000 rounds which is cheaper than it was going for on gunbroker last month.

Needless to say I will never allow this to happen again.

I'm afraid that sentiment (which I share) has hit many shooters and has prolonged an already long shortage along with the inflated prices. Hopefully it will be the last time any of us will have to choke on those kind of prices. I'm good till the end of the year if I don't go on a plinking spree.
Wingshot
Wingshot

Back to top Go down

22 ammo help Empty 22 ammo help

Post by John 5/24/2013, 11:01 am

DavidR wrote:No, never seen it but unless your shooting 50 yards any good target ammo will shoot 10 shots that a dime will cover so it boils down to which your gun likes best, and what you can find at a decent price these days. I like eley sport, aguila sv which is the same thing made in the same plant in mexico, sk pistol match is good, wolf has two grades, both are made by sk, one is what you have and the higher priced one is pistol match. So they shoot good too.

I would sure like to own the 22 pistol that David shoots. What kind? Price? My Mod. #41 will shoot ony one inch--10 shots--50 yards with the best ammunition that I have tried (Eley10x--Wolf match target -- CCI, Federal etc., etc.) A one inch group can not be covered by a dime! A dime will just cover a 1/2 inch group. Maybe you are using a target ammunition that I have not tried! Please bring me up to speed. Thanks, John

(Groups measured center to center of the widest holes)

John

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 5/24/2013, 11:32 am

I have owned about 20 target grade 22 pistols, i currently shoot a Fernwekbau AW 93, 2400.00 is what it cost. If you read my post which you quoted, i never said anything about 1'' groups, i said 10 shots you could cover with a dime. Many of my guns have shot this good,I guess you haven't found the magic bullet for your gun or your gun is not that accurate but ive owned a 41s that was. My marvel conversion shot .32'' 50 yard 10 shot groups with Midas by lapua. As for eley tenex being the best because its the most expensive is not always true, its good but ive had plenty of 22 that shot better groups. Keep trying stuff, even a different lot number of the same ammo can have big group size variances. But the bottom line is if you gun shoots a 1'' group, then thats x ring, so nothing better is even needed.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter 5/24/2013, 12:59 pm

Dave,

I am just curious if you have owned and shot a Ruger MKIII Comp. and how big of a difference there is between it and your AW 93 in terms of accuracy?

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 5/24/2013, 1:37 pm

No but my first match gun was a ruler mkll, i completely accurized it and still own it. It is very accurate but i found that function was more important than finding the bullet that shot the smallest groups. CCI sv plastic would always shoot good groups but more important it always functioned. As far as difference in the mkll and the AW93 its more about adjust ability, the AW has the best trigger of any 22 ive ever shot, plus with the right ammo it is extremely accurate and funtions perfect.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/24/2013, 3:58 pm

In my experience, the Ruger pistol can be made into one of the most reliable pistols out there. Accuracy is very capable too. The deciding factors on the Ruger to me are (1) can you be comfortable with one of the many grip options, and (2) do you have a top trigger job. The best trigger in a Ruger I have seen is done by the gentleman at Oregon Precision Arms. He uses an optical comparator to set triggers up.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by lilski 7/22/2013, 2:56 pm

I have found that it does matter at 50' what ammo you use I have tested 3 or 4 so far. The groups are small but even .1 will could be the difference between a 9 or 10 and those add up fast. The best i have ever shot with CCI SV is 855 the best with SK SV is 864. I shoot the CCI for many years and the SK only last year. I would have laughed at myself 20 years ago when I started shooting for looking for ammo to get me 3 points. How times have have changed. Shocked

lilski

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 7/22/2013, 11:53 pm

John wrote:
DavidR wrote:No, never seen it but unless your shooting 50 yards any good target ammo will shoot 10 shots that a dime will cover so it boils down to which your gun likes best, and what you can find at a decent price these days. I like eley sport, aguila sv which is the same thing made in the same plant in mexico, sk pistol match is good, wolf has two grades, both are made by sk, one is what you have and the higher priced one is pistol match. So they shoot good too.

I would sure like to own the 22 pistol that David shoots.  What kind?  Price?  My Mod. #41 will shoot ony one inch--10 shots--50 yards with the best ammunition that I have tried (Eley10x--Wolf match target -- CCI, Federal etc., etc.)  A one inch group can not be covered by a dime!  A dime will just cover a 1/2 inch group. Maybe you are using a target ammunition that I have not tried!  Please bring me up to speed.  Thanks, John

(Groups measured center to center of the widest holes)

Note that Dave says "unless you are shooting at 50 yds". Any of my target pistols shot under a dime out to 25 yds. 20 yrs or so ago NRA chg'd the 25 yd SF (indoor) target making the 10 ring smaller. Clean targets were scarce before and now they are more so. I would say that is a good indication that a small difference in group size can be significant.
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by FredB 7/23/2013, 12:46 pm

A small (.1"?) difference in group size is not significant, unless you shoot every single shot with perfect aim and perfect triggering. That's because any shot that is off aim or affected by imperfect triggering is just as likely to be helped by the dispersion as harmed. IOW that scratch 10 you just shot might have been a 9 without that .1" of extra dispersion. Only if you KNOW that you shoot a perfectly centered shot every time can you blame the non-perfect shots on the ammo or the gun. If you don't know that, then you're better off spending time dry firing than group testing and worrying or posting about .1" dispersion differences.

Just the thoughts of a very imperfect shooter,
FredB

FredB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down