Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard

4 posters

Go down

M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard Empty M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard

Post by Tom Jadlos Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Good Afternoon,

This my second year shooting bullseye, the first year I shot my model 41 exclusively, this year I'm moving up to the "big time" after having Dave Salyer perform him magic on a Springfield mil-spec. My centerfire and .45 NM scores are 20 points lower than those for the .22 events. The 1911 grip just feels more comfortable, i.e., it dosen't feel as big or fat (if that makes sense) as the M41. Would experimenting with a Marvel conversion or older High Standard, e.g., a model 106 or 107 make sense and, if so, which would be preferable? I don't want to begin a search to "buy points" and may be better off sucking it up and practicing more with the M41. Your comments and experience would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard Empty Re: M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard

Post by SMBeyer Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm

If you like your 41 and don't want to spend the money on a new pistol but like the feel of the 1911 frame you can put a grip adapter on your 41. It changes your 41 frame to feel like the 1911 frame and accepts standard 1911 grips.
http://www.cmmshootingsports.com/index.php?cPath=21_24&osCsid=dfj2f0jrn61eqgv457v58lai00
A friend has these on his 41 and they feel nice
Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard Empty Re: M41 v. Marvel Conversion v. High Standard

Post by Allan Campbell Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 am

+1 on the CMM Grip adapter, especially if you have smaller hands. For larger hands, the Herrett flat trainer grips may work as well.

I tried both. The CMM adapter effectively moves the grip forward by having most of it's bulk forward of the frame and works much better for my small hands. Think of it as not only changing the shape to that of a 1911, but adding a short trigger.

Allan Campbell

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Thu May 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Tom,
I've gone down a similar route. First Ruger MKII, then old High Standards with really great triggers, then back to Rugers, then back to Hi Stnds, then back to Rugers, now to the Marvel Unit 1 and am still swapping back to the Ruger occasionally.

From my experience, I absolutely love the triggers on the Hi Stnds, but they are too nice and crisp. I shoot better with a short to medium roll trigger on the 3-3 1/2# range. It helps me get set on the target while moving the trigger to the rear. Thus far the Marvel has been every bit as reliable as my Rugers with better slow fire scores. The Hi Stnds seemed to be either 10's & x's or 6 & 7's. I always had higher x counts with the HS but a lower overall score than with the Rugers. An error with the Ruger would be an 8, with the HS it was a 6.

So far I've only got about 3K rds through the Marvel and see it becoming my main 22 (the Ruger will always be there as backup). So from my little corner of the world, I'd go with the Marvel if I was looking to change something.

I agree with your assessment of the M41 grip. They're great if they fit you, and frustrating when they don't.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Jadlos Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Scott, Allan, and Al, I appreciate your comments.

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down