Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old guy needs advice

+2
DeweyHales
charliek
6 posters

Go down

Old guy needs advice Empty Old guy needs advice

Post by charliek 12/27/2013, 8:16 pm

I am trying to get back into bullseye style shooting, but I don't know where best to devote my mental and physical resources.
Here is my situation: I'm 77 years old and long ago did bullseye shooting and I would like to do some more of it, not competitively, but for my own satisfaction. 

My vision isn't bad with glasses. I see the front sight with no trouble.  

Working on stance and position is complicated by a series of knee and foot surgeries.  The rotator cuff on the right side is shot.  The physical therapist I'm working with is making progress.

Trigger control seems something I could work on but the trigger on the IZH I have is so delicate that applying the trigger techniques described here and elsewhere is difficult.  Integrating trigger control with trying to control movement is a joke.  My zone covers the wall of the basement where I shoot  this winter.

Breathing I can work on but it has to be combined with something else.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what my priorities should be.

Thanks for reading this.  I really enjoy the site.

charliek

Back to top Go down

Old guy needs advice Empty Re: Old guy needs advice

Post by DeweyHales 12/27/2013, 9:59 pm

Try to find the way of standing that helps you hold the most still. 

While seated and comfortable, work on trigger control with the gun supported. 

When you make progress separately, try putting the two items together.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 12/28/2013, 6:17 am

Being 70, I suggest the following:

1. Core strength is vital for good shooting. I practice Yoga daily and find it helps with both flexibility and strength.

2. I shoot almost every day. At home I shoot air pistol. Quiet, cheap, and very effective.

3. Unless shooting CMP games, switch to a good red dot sight. Don't go cheap -- you need a sight with minimal parallax at bullseye distances. You don't need Aimpoint, but don't buy at Wal-Mart, either.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 12/28/2013, 9:17 am

Couple things to get you started.

See if you can measure your trigger pull. It should be 2 pounds and it is adjustable on your IZH.

Secondly, get a red dot. Get a Ultra Dot red dot, do not get anything cheaper. more expensive red dots that should be considered are the aimpoint and or the c-more but the ultra dot is the most common on the bulseye line. If you practice, you will quickly reach the limits of the cheaper red dots and get frustrated at the lack of precision that is required for bullseye.

Stance-----Find your natural point of aim. To do this, stand at the firing line with a target posted and close your eyes. Bring your uloaded gun up and point it at the target with your eyes still closed. (this can be done during competitions with an empty hand prior to the call "the line is no longer safe, you may handle your firearms"). You will find that your gun will be pointing to the left or the right of the target so shuffle both feet a little and try again. in two or three cycles you will have your natural point of aim pointed directly at the target.

Regards,
Cranky
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/28/2013, 9:49 am

Find the stance that is most comfortable that puts your natural point of aim in the target area. I would have someone adjust the izh trigger, it has adjustment screws for pull weight, pre travel and for a crisp or roll break so you should be able to get it just like you like it.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 1/26/2014, 7:25 pm

charliek wrote:Working on stance and position is complicated by a series of knee and foot surgeries.  The rotator cuff on the right side is shot.  The physical therapist I'm working with is making progress.

Trigger control seems something I could work on but the trigger on the IZH I have is so delicate that applying the trigger techniques described here and elsewhere is difficult.  Integrating trigger control with trying to control movement is a joke.  My zone covers the wall of the basement where I shoot  this winter.
I am in much the same situation as you. My arms & shoulders went south suddenly last April. Here is what I have learned so far in no particular order.
The fundamentals are still the same and you will soon see how important their application is. Trigger control is still the key to improvement. Shorten the time you hold. Apply trigger pressure as soon as the target is acquired. Increase the pressure as soon as the pistol settles. You MUST accept more movement. Work hard on follow thru. Don't be afraid to give up on the shot and start over. My hold, while never steady, deteriorates rapidly if the shot does not break. I use a much more relaxed grip and arm. If the shot doesn't break, relax the grip.

Stance and hold. I find the position that is the nearest to being pain free.  Raise the arm as late in the command sequence as possible for you.

Again. Try to accept movement and work on even trigger pressure and a smooth break. You will be more inconsistent but shooting all that your physical condition allows will improve the results.

My Doc has forbidden my shooting but I can't stay away. I have rotator cuff problems too and you must evaluate the damage that may be done in shooting.  My last session the high was a 93 TF and a low of 69 (I think) SF. It was a .22 session. I have quit .45 and shoot a Colt .38 Super to .38 Spec Conversion. Scores are much the same with both.

Gun weight is a problem. For the .22 I use a series 70 frame w/ a Marvel Conversion and a TRS-25 sight. it's just a little heavy for me. The .38 has an UD 1" and is plenty heavy for me.

Good luck,
Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Old guy needs advice Empty Old guy needing help

Post by charliek 1/26/2014, 10:35 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm distilling ideas from each of them.  One useful idea comes from Roper's "Experiments of a Handgunner".   He talks about shooting from a bench and describes a rest which is working out well for me.

charliek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down