Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye Powder

+6
DavidR
dronning
Rob Kovach
bullseyebill
xringshooter
AllAces
10 posters

Go down

Bullseye Powder Empty Bullseye Powder

Post by AllAces Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Anyone have or know of someone with 4 or 8 lbs Bullseye Powder for sale. I've been checking on multiple websites for several weeks but no luck.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Bullseye Powder Empty Re: Bullseye Powder

Post by xringshooter Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:45 am

Bullseye is scarcer than hen's teeth.  I too have been looking everywhere for some.  Even Powder Valley, perhaps the largest online retailer, is and has been out of it for months.  Bullseye and standard velocity CCI .22LR ammo are out of stock everywhere.

One of the biggest problems are ever-increasing gun sales, which drive up demand for ammo. In Virginia, where I live, 480,000 guns were purchased through FFL dealers (up 11% since last year) in 2013.  This doesn't count the number of face-to-face transactions.

As long as Obama and his Democrat cohorts keep attempting to curtail gun ownership, sales of guns and ammo will continue to skyrocket.  I don't see any end to current shortages.  Just my 2 cents worth.

xringshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by bullseyebill Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 am

While new gun sales may be driving the ammo shortage, I just don't see it being
responsible for lack of components. Think about how much powder you use reloading most handgun
calibers. I could see primers and maybe bullets , but powder, for rifle ,shotgun and pistol , doesn't make sense.
Are reloading presses and dies difficult to get also?

bullseyebill

Back to top Go down

Bullseye Powder Empty Availability of Guns, Ammo and Components

Post by AllAces Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 am

I recently visited 10 gun shops, from small mom & pop to a large national chain. Here's a summary of what I found:

Guns: depending on the size of the operation, all were well stocked with pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. Those that traded in used guns were well stocked for their size of operation. Prices were reasonable and in the case of some consignment sales, very reasonable.

Ammo: No store had any CCI std vel. No one knew when they might get any. The large national chain had no .22 ammo in stock and did not know when they might get some. Smaller stores had a few 50 & 100 round boxes of various mfg .22 long rifle, and one had a few boxes of 325 count Remington. None had bricks or cases.  All of the stores were moderately stocked with common rifle ammo: 223; 308; 7mm; .17 rimfire. Most of the stores were stocked with common handgun ammo: .45 ACP; 9mm; .38 special; 357 magnum.

Shotgun ammo: Plenty of shot shells in everything from slugs to 7 1/2 shot; all bores - 12, 20, 16, 28 & 410.

I saw a father buying his young son his first rifle, a .22 only to tell the son the store had no ammo. If I had had a box of ammo I'd given it to the boy.

Components: Plenty of black powder components in those stores that carry those items. Plenty of rifle bullets in the popular calibers from the name brands such as Nosler and Sierra. An equal supply of rifle brass in popular calibers; some handgun brass, mostly .45 ACP. Plenty of primers, small, large, magnum, rifle, pistol - mostly CCI and Winchester in 100 and 1000 piece boxes. Some shotshell components such as wads and hulls, but not much and not in all bores.  Powder availability ranged from none at the smaller stores to one or two pounds of shotgun powder at the mid-size stores. The one large national chain had a good supply of rifle powder, mostly 4 lb kegs, no common pistol powders such as Bullseye or Clays; some shotgun powder, but not much.

Overall, the least available item was powder, especially pistol powder.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 am

Many shotgun powders have good .45acp recipes.  For those in Ohio, you might want to check to see if http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/ has bullseye in stock.

Why do you need 8lbs of BE anyway?  I shoot a lot and only use about 2lbs per year!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

bullseyebill wrote:.......
Are reloading presses and dies difficult to get also?

Loading equipment: Things are getting better, but when I ordered my Dillon 1050 Super I had to wait almost 3 months and around the same time I could not find a LEE factory crimp die for .45acp either online or locally for about 4 weeks.  More people are reloading and instead of buying 1lb of powder and few hundred primers to start out they are (were) buying 4-8lbs and several thousand primers.  I know guys that bought brass and bullets for calibers they didn't even own then bought a gun in that caliber just so they could keep shooting.

Components: Worst is powder (except black powder) it doesn't ever seem to be in stock for more than a day and it's across the board. Primers are spotty with large pistol primers being the hardest to find.  Bullets are starting to show up but the most popular are still in and out pretty fast with both pistol and rifle match bullets the hardest to locate. 

Ammo: Most centerfire ammo is available and prices are slowly coming down. 

.22LR ammo:  Almost every gun owner has a .22 and with the "shortage" people that maybe bought 100 rounds a year are buying 500.  The industry didn't have a lot of excess .22 capacity to begin with so you basically have 5 years worth on demand in the market right now.  As an example the CMP has 35,000,000 (5x normal demand) rounds of .22LR on order with Aguila right now.  Aguila is sending them shipments but has told them it will take years to fill the order. 

Good news on 22LR: Remington has a new plant that will be producing .22 ammo going online around Q2 this year so that should help.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am

its always on gunbroker, a little higher than old prices but includes the hazmat fees in the shipping.

I have a new 4lb can of Bullseye id trade for same in WST if anyone is interested, (Trade only, not for sale.)
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 am

As someone who loves Unique, I have to say that PP is the "modern" Unique. Just can't find any.
231/HP38: always worth buying.
Herco would be my choice for 9x19 and .357Mag over Unique.
Silhouette/True Blue: Excellent powders
WST: many seem to love it. I have tried it in several .45s and .38 Specials. Haven't found it good in any of them.
Why are AA2 and AA5 ignored? Excellent accuracy, clean, and meter well. I see no negatives about them.
Clays and TiteGroup: I'll let others have them, along with N310--though TG does well with jacketed bullets in 9x19 (not the best, but it does well).
Am. Select: another powder that hasn't done anything well yet.
e3 and Clay Dot: if I ever see any, I'll buy a pound to play with.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 am

I've had good luck with American Select in bullseye pistol loads, as well as, shotgun loads. It doesn't meter as well as Bullseye. e3 does well with a light charge of 3.6 grains and a lead 200 gr. or 185 gr. swc.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:51 am

All of the Alliant brand powders have been hard to find in Northern Ohio.  I used 700x at my last match and scored good from the long line with 4.4 gr and a 185jhp. It has been available.

My last few purchases of Power Pistol have been one pound cans because it was all they had come in.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 pm

I am not sure where you are located, but i stopped by Hyatt Guns in Charlotte today and they had an 8lb conatiner of bullseye powder on the shelf.

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 pm

I checked out the Hyatt Guns website and it looks like a really good gun store. Lots of inventory of guns, new and used and some interesting collector items. They seem to be better stocked with powder, assuming the website inventory is up to date.  However, powder is only available for in store pickup.  I've got them on my list of stores to visit the next time I'm in the Charlotte, NC area.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down