Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question

+3
DavidR
STEVE SAMELAK
dstates
7 posters

Go down

New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question Empty New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question

Post by dstates 2/13/2014, 3:03 pm

So I just recently purchased a Springfield Range Officer and have some reloading gear on the way to get started.  I have a Lee Classic Turret Press on order (actually should arrive today).  I also purchased the Lee 45 die set.  I've been reading about how people are seating their SWC's by the shoulder.  This may be a dumb question, but is that a different type of bullet seating die that I should get?  Who sells them and what are the advantages?

Thanks!

dstates

Back to top Go down

New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question Empty Re: New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/13/2014, 3:23 pm

There's a guy who makes & sells a lot of stuff for Dillon presses (steve bathe?) who makes an insert for dillon dies
The Lee seating die is a piece of cake to make an insert for, probably made a dozen for people so far.
Seating off the shoulder seems to give more consistent oal & allows you to use a variety of swc bullets without touching your seating die.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question Empty Re: New Reloader - Bullet Seating Question

Post by DavidR 2/13/2014, 5:48 pm

Seating using the shoulder of a swc bullet  will seat the bullet straighter in some cases and keeps from deforming the nose of the bullet, it's not really a  issue unless your using the soft Swaged bullets, hard cast swc will load just fine with the lee die in your set.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates 2/13/2014, 10:09 pm

Thanks, guys.  I ordered some Dardas 200 gr SWC's so I'm guessing that would be considered hard enough for the standard Lee seating die.

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 2/16/2014, 12:14 am

Seating dies all come with "generic" bullet seater stems. Most tend to only contact the bullet meplat or very high on the ogive.
I find that contacting lower is a definite advantage, as is getting a seating stem that actually FITS the bullet being used.
You can go to eBay and get SWC seating stems for Lee made to contact the shoulder.
ANY standard commercial cast bullets are TOO hard. You "need" 8-12 BHN for .45 and you are getting 18-22BHN. Better to go to mastercastbullets.com or Missouri Bullets or Penn Bullets and by the softer, but still harder (12-15BHN) than needed, bullets.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/16/2014, 2:09 pm

As always, many would disagree with that....

Dardas makes a fine bullet in many useful weights and calibers..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 2/16/2014, 3:29 pm

I think that noylj is correct that many commercially available bullets are harder than we as bullseye shooters need, I think he shouldn't assume that the Dardas bullets mentioned in this thread are TOO hard.  The other bullets that noylj mentions are very good also.

I have been shooting Kead bullets--about as hard as most other commercially available bullets.  They work great at 50 and 25, no leading, no loading problems.  I would assume the Dardas are much the same.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/19/2014, 7:14 am

I remember Forest Davis talking about many cast bullets being to hard.  Can't dispute the fact that Forest could build a gun that would shoot.  For me the proof is in the scores shot with hard cast bullets.  Terry Labbe at Magnus Bullet Company has a 2650 patch in his gun box that he got shooting Magnus Bullet Company bullets. Personally I have seen lots of clean targets shot with Magnus Bullets.  Haven't put his bullets in my LBT hardness tester but they are danged hard.  Bullet seater makes no mark on them.   Proper size is the trick..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/19/2014, 11:57 am

Terrys (magnus) 200 lswc, # 802 is the most accurate 200 ive found, tested less than 2'' at 50 yards out of many guns.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down