Lanny Bassham's "Mental Management" program

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lanny Bassham's "Mental Management" program

Post by Rob Kovach on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

Dear Friends,

I would normally post this under "fundamentals discussion" but because Lanny's website has a "referral program" that gets me some credit, I thought it would be most appropriate for me to post it here.

Some of you have read my previous posts about shooting in the mid 90s for slow fire but notice that I'm still a Sharpshooter.  It has everything to do with the MENTAL part of this sport.  When I would compete against other shooters, my hold would TREMBLE so badly, that I had NO IDEA where the shot was going to go.

I bought Lanny's book in the middle of January--only 8 weeks ago.  THE MATCH AFTER I READ THE FIRST FEW CHAPTERS CHANGED MY SHOOTING PERFORMANCE!!!!

I used to average about 86%.  I NOW SHOOT 93%+ INCLUDING A 293NMC A COUPLE WEEKS AGO!!

We all spend SO MUCH time and money on our equipment, ammo development, practice, and matches that it doesn't make sense that we don't have a budget just for mental training.

Before reading this book, I thought that it would be impossible for me to attain "Master" classification.  My goal was "expert" and getting my distinguished badges.... Just 8 weeks of using the techniques have improved my performance so much, I know that shooting "master" is within my reach.

Those old goals look like a joke to me now.  I'm going to blow them away.

I don't care if you buy directly from Lanny's webpage or not--you can get his stuff from amazon for your kindle or whatever, but if you DO buy directly from Lanny's webpage, please click the link below, and I will get credit for the referral.  I bought his 3 book set and his "performance journal".  I will probably buy the "mental management for shooting sports" product also.

http://www.mentalmanagementstore.com/shop/with-winning-in-mind/?ap_id=rkovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Lanny Bassham's "Mental Management" program

Post by sixftunda on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:04 pm

I bought the e-book last week after seeing it mentioned on Tony's blog.  Got the Performance Analysis Journal this week.  This and the Zins clinic has really changed my process, goals and training strategies.  

Highly recommend it.
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for adding to the discussion sixftunda!

If anyone else has used these products, go ahead and share it here.

For more information: http://www.mentalmanagementstore.com?ap_id=rkovach

Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:43 am

I purchased it a few weeks ago from amazon, very interesting and im sure it will help improve my game.
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jkvandal on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:39 am

I purchased it last week and I'm still making my way through it...wish I had read this prior to my last set of matches!

How many folks have purchased the Performance Analysis Journal and how much benefit does it have over a training log?

Jkvandal

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 am

I use the book and find it very helpful.  There is no space in the book to write "What I did wrong" 

Here is a link to how the Performance Analysis Journal works.  
/http://mentalmanagementcourses.com/products/premium-archive-subscription/performance-analysis/
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 am

I use it.
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Rob,
I'm glad you are having a change! You certainly put in the time as can be told from your posts.
I plateaued at the mid 2580 level. Like you mention, pressure and frustration. I have 2 regrets from BE, not shooting 2600's & not  sticking w/ ball until I made the "hundred".

Keep at it.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:36 pm

I wanted to share a recent breakthrough.  I'm using Lanny Bassham's performance log to record the good parts of my shooting work.  He is right that it takes more than thinking about it.  Writing it, and using PEN has imprinted the fact that the good things in my performance that I write about are PERMANENT, and that makes it really sink in.

USE A PEN.
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:27 am

Any updates on this Rob? I've read the book twice now,but I haven't ventured into the performance journal. Do you still feel it's helping?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:15 am

This is very timely!  I just recommended the book to a golfer today!

I haven't written in my journal lately, but I consciously made a mental note that I should get back to it.

I have seen a dramatic improvement in my ability to manage my excitement in a match by using Lanny Bassham's techniques.  I have almost no pulse or butterflies when shooting anymore, and it is a big help.

The key is writing the shot process, and following the process every time.  The shot process is how YOU shoot a predictable 10 or X.  Following the process is the path to success.  I found that I would write down how well I executed my shot process and nothing else about the match--not the score, not really anything.  I'm going to go back to the format from the performance journal and try to key in on other fundamentals now.

In retrospect, what I was working on when I quit writing in the journal was mastering emotion and match pressure by leaving the pressure in the hands of the process.  Now that I feel I have mastered emotion and match pressure, I will get back to the journal and try to figure out what I can focus on to get to the next level....
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for the response Rob! Is the journal shooting specific or is it general and vague? I would love to get the mental management for shooting sports cds, however they are a bit steep for me.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Read the book before the CD's. At least for me being able to see it in print is more helpful. I do have and use the CD's, but the book demands one's complete focus and that in and of itself helps. 

I have an on again off again relationship with the performance journal. I know it works, but I keep being sidetracked from it. I NEED to use it consistently to get consistent results from its use. Does that sound familiar?
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm

The journal is not shooting specific, but keys in on what I need to be focused on at that particular time.  It had me working against match anxiety when I started using it, and it worked great at fixing that problem.  The way the pages are set up, it helps you realize what you should be focusing on at that point in your development.
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:46 pm

For those who would rather not purchase the materials, check with your local library to see if they can get it for you.  I was able to get Lanny Bassham's "With Winning in Mind" through an inter-library loan.  If you like it enough to want your own, then you can buy a copy.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:05 pm

....but you won't find his performance journal at a library.
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Regular_Guy on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:51 pm

The format for his performance journal can be found with a quick goole search if people are interested without having to buy the book from them. I think the book is a high quality piece myself and worth the money.

I didn't know much of anything about "mental management" before a few months ago and honestly thought it sounded hokey at first. I've found his book to be pretty valuable not only to bump scores up but also to approach shooting and other things with a different attitude.
Regular_Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:44 am

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental."-Yogi Berra
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top