Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem

5 posters

Go down

Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem Empty Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem

Post by C.Perkins 4/14/2014, 10:12 pm

Always wanted a long slide and this trade came up.
It has the Bomar and tuner, shoots very well at the long line out of my hand.
Problem is that the trigger will not reset one in about 5-8 shots.
Dissasembled and the disconnector is very well worn and someone has ground off the right side ear and installed a 4 leaf spring.
That said...
I really like the pistol and ordered all new pins and a Cylinder and Slide Super Match trigger kit to get his pistol back to as close as I can to function reliably.
Any comments on the C&S trigger kits ?
Those whom know me know that I gave up shooting the .45 a couple years ago but the gravitation toward a Clark sr. pistol for nostalgia and build quality for that time period got me hooked back in.(taking two slides to make one long slide is amazing to me).
The pistol shoots really well, no problems with the barrel and slide, just need to rebuild the bottom end.
Installed the Clark rail with a 1" ultradot shooting 200gr swc over 4.2 of BE and a 93-2x with a 7 on the last shot Smile
Got to save this pistol cause it is my last one.
I hope it all goes well to revive a truly nice and accurate pistol.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem Empty Re: Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem

Post by Rob Kovach 4/14/2014, 10:25 pm

The C&S kits are great.  I've had friends who have had good luck just dropping in the "drop in" parts.  I've heard of so many problems with guns with those 4 fingered leaf springs.  There is just something wrong with that design IMO.

My long line load is 3.8gr Bullseye under 200gr LSWC H&G 68s.  That gun sounds like fun!

Good luck with your new trigger parts and new gun!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem Empty Re: Just traded for a 11/68 Clark Sr. heavy long slide with a problem

Post by C.Perkins 4/14/2014, 10:48 pm

I think someone at one time wanted to get a less than 3# trigger and really messed it up.

I will get it back to operational with all the new lower end parts, I hope.

It is just nice to shoot a pistol that is 42 years old and hits the target just as good as the newer built guns.

As an aside, shooters need to realize that the older well built guns shoot just as good as the newer ones do.
It all comes down to your ability.
There are unbeaten records from the past with them Smile
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. 4/15/2014, 7:00 am

Call Clark guns and ask what they are charging to do a referb at this time. I have had this done on both of my long slides (38&45) . Very reasonable price and it will shoot like new when done.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 4/15/2014, 8:32 am

If you are headed to Camp Perry this year, Clark, Jr is usually there and typically will go through your Clark gun and recommend any repairs that may be needed.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 4/15/2014, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the information.

Never read or heard anything bad about the C&S kits so want to try it out for myself.

I have repaired more than one gun in my time with good success Smile

PS;
The previous owner did give me the receipt from the gunsmith that did the tune up on it in late 2012 and said it has never been taken apart or worked on since with about 500 rounds through it.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by 172snowhawk 4/17/2014, 8:29 pm

I've had a Clark Long Heavy Slide since 1982; retuned in 2005. The only problem I've had was the four-finger sear spring installed with the retuning job.  It gave me lots of problems. After replacing it with a Colt three-finger spring, the trigger pull is now like the original, crisp and consistent.  Great gun!

172snowhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 4/17/2014, 8:39 pm

I had a spare 3 finger and installed it, but the problem remained.
Received the C&S kit yesterday and all new pins and fitted everything last night.
Feels good.
Just need to test fire.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 4/22/2014, 6:09 pm

Went to the range today to function test and weigh the trigger.
The trigger will now lift 3.5# and not quite 4#.
Feels good and crisp.
Did have one failure of the trigger to return/reset.
Figured it out.
One of the things installed during the tune up was a new long trigger.
Took it out and polished the trigger bow where it rides in the frame which got rid of the little gritty feel and where it slightly rubs on the magazine.
I think we are good to go on the next run.
Will find out this coming weekend.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 4/27/2014, 5:06 pm

Polishing the trigger bow solved the trigger return issue.
Shot a whole 2700 outdoor short course here in Phoenix(what a beautiful day).
All went well with the Marvel, the M52-1 and the Cark long heavy slide, except for my scores  Laughing
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down