Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Match!

+3
Jack H
james r chapman
Fordfan485
7 posters

Go down

First Match! Empty First Match!

Post by Fordfan485 Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Ok so it wasn't an official match since my local club's season ended in march.  I did however use a timer and used the mp3s on http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ to time timed and rapid fire.   I did a 30 shot NMC @ 50ft (might have been a bit farther than 50ft )with a Ruger 22/45 Mkiii.   I bought the pistol back in January but fired it for the first time today.  

My slow fire score was :meh: at least I kept it all on the paper though!

Slow Fire:  45-0
Timed Fire: 84-1
Rapid Fire: 80-0

Attached are the pictures of my groups
Attachments
First Match! Attachment
Photo Jun 06, 4 27 23 PM.jpg Slow FireYou don't have permission to download attachments.(93 Kb) Downloaded 13 times
First Match! Attachment
Photo Jun 06, 4 27 33 PM.jpg Timed FireYou don't have permission to download attachments.(108 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
First Match! Attachment
Photo Jun 06, 4 27 40 PM.jpg Rapid FireYou don't have permission to download attachments.(108 Kb) Downloaded 8 times

Last edited by Fordfan485 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

First Match! Empty Re: First Match!

Post by james r chapman Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 pm

I think the timed fire grouping tells you a lot about how to shoot slow fire.

Your thinking too hard...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Yes to jrc. 
Slow target, I bet you took too long trying to force the shots better
Time target. Better, just right time to not think, just do
Rapid target, worried and hurried shots.

Sort of like Goldilocks and the three bear's bowls.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Fordfan485 Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the tips.   One thing I did differently with slow fire was my stance.  I was facing about 90 deg from the target since that is what I am used to when shooting nra highpower rifle offhand.   For whatever reason I changed to a stance that was 45 deg from the target for timed and rapid.   I also changed to a 6 oclock hold for timed and rapid.  I used  com for slow but had trouble distinguishing the front sight from the target black(lighting indoors at my club isn't the greatest).   Timed fire felt the most natural which shows in the target results.  Rapid fire I felt really rushed and almost ran out of time.   Slow fire I rested my arm on the bench between each shot.  Do most shooters do this or shoot a couple then rest.

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:22 pm

No matter how many times I look at that TF target, it still scores an 84-1x for me.

What am I missing?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fordfan485 Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:38 pm

john bickar wrote:No matter how many times I look at that TF target, it still scores an 84-1x for me.

What am I missing?

You're right.  Looks like I can't add.

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Fordfan wrote:I used  com for slow but had trouble distinguishing the front sight from the target black
Use a 6 o'clock hold instead of center hold so your black sights are over the white part of the target.  I've been told you highpower shooters call that "pumpkin on a post".

Bullseye is not like highpower in that your hold and sight picture doesn't need to be perfect in order for the shot to be good--but your trigger pull needs to be.

If your wobble is in the black, and your trigger pull doesn't disturb the gun, your score will be pretty good.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fordfan485 Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Went out and did another 30 rd match this morning.  Things I did diffrently: 

-6 O'clock hold  
-body positioned about 45 degrees from target through whole course of fire
-Changed ammo from high velocity to std velocity.
-10 shot strings
 -slightly ligher trigger pull(about 4~4.5 lbs)

2 weeks ago I was using Aguila SuperExtra 22 High Velocity 38 gr Copper Plated ammo.  Today I used Remington/Eley 22LR Rifle Target, Std Velocity, 40 gr Lead Round Nose ammo.  I also did each target in 10 shot strings because I only had one magazine with me.    Not really sure what happend with the rapid fire group I wasn't calling my shots to the right.   Biggest improvment was seen in slow fire instead of shooting one shot and putting the gun down I would do 3 or 4 shots and then rest, and those shots I did at about a timed fire pace.   Also the trigger pull was lightened a little when I did the washer mod to remove the magazine disconnect safety(my 22/45 is a MkIII).  With my cheap trigger pull scale I was getting about 4-4.5 lbs.   Attached are my results:

Slowfire 76
Timed Fire 75-0
Rapid Fire 73-0
Attachments
First Match! Attachment
slow.jpg SlowfireYou don't have permission to download attachments.(56 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
First Match! Attachment
timed.jpg Timed FireYou don't have permission to download attachments.(66 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
First Match! Attachment
rapid.jpg Rapid FireYou don't have permission to download attachments.(63 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Most shooters only shoot multiple shots in slow fire on windy days.  Even though your shots are better, it might be better to not get into the habit of having variable shot processes.  As you progress, you will improve more quickly if you have a consistent shot process.

Are you left handed?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fordfan485 Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:19 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:Most shooters only shoot multiple shots in slow fire on windy days.  Even though your shots are better, it might be better to not get into the habit of having variable shot processes.  As you progress, you will improve more quickly if you have a consistent shot process.

Are you left handed?

Nope, right handed.   I guess I should also note that my glasses fogged up on me on the rapid fire string but I m not sure that would have changed the point of impact of my group.    I have noticed in dryfire with other guns(e.g. my carry gun(glock 36) and IDPA gun (S&W M&P 9 Pro))  that my front sight will sometimes go to the right when the trigger breaks about 25-50% of the time.   I have had it happen when dry firing the ruger but its not nearly as noticible or happens as often.

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Try moving your trigger finger farther in--make the trigger touch your finger in the harder spot between the pad and the first joint.  See if that stops the sight from moving left when you press the trigger.  You may need to change your whole grip so the trigger motion comes straight back and the sights keep driving straight ahead when the shot breaks.

Put a plastic wall anchor that is the size of a .22 rim into your chamber and you can dryfire with your Ruger without harming your breechface or firing pin.

Keep having fun!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:37 am

Review the fundamentals and write them down. Keep a shooter's diary, so when the light bulb comes on, you will later remember why it did. When I was first starting out, I shot about the same as you. If you keep focusing your attention on the proper fundamentals and reduce your errors, you will improve by leaps and bounds. Avoid developing bad habits that you will have to break later. It is much easier to learn to do it the right way the first time.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:47 pm

A couple thoughts:  Work on your grip so the gun doesn't pull to the side when the trigger breaks.  Your finger has to be coming straight back.  I would rest the gun between shots in slowfire.  There is one excellent shooter in my club that even sets the gun down on the bench and re-grips it between shots.  Most don't go that far and maintain their grip but rest. 
Read a good manual, such as the Army Marksmanship manual which you can read on the Encyclopedia of Bullseye website:   http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Not a bad start!  Keep shooting!

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down