Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger position question

4 posters

Go down

Trigger position  question Empty Trigger position question

Post by Jwhelan939 7/11/2014, 8:48 am

Hey all,
I just finished up my 4 competition. My club does 2 national match courses each competition. Yesterday, I got my highest score yet with an 876/1200. I know it's still not great, but I was really happy with my improvement. My biggest improvement was on the 45 slow fire.

My question is on trigger finger placement. I had always put the trigger in the middle of the first digit. After reading Zins website I read that the trigger should actually be on the harder spot, closer to the joint. I tried this yesterday. The results on my 45 were great; however, my 22 went down and felt uncomfortable. I'm shooting a Volquartsen scorpion with a wide target trigger. So my long winded question...

Is it okay to use different trigger finger position between 22 and 45 or am I creating a bad habit?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Trigger position  question Empty Re: Trigger position question

Post by DavidR 7/11/2014, 9:35 am

Trigger finger placement is whatever allows you to pull the trigger straight back without moving the sights/dot. Usually this is easier to do with a part of the finger that is harder rather than softer, close to the first joint or in the first joint is the two used most
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/11/2014, 9:59 am

The size of your hand and finger length vs the grip girth and length of pull have ALL to do with where your finger reaches the trigger.  It is not one size fits all.  It is like DR says above "whatever allows you to pull the trigger straight back"
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 7/11/2014, 1:19 pm

Jack H wrote:The size of your hand and finger length vs the grip girth and length of pull have ALL to do with where your finger reaches the trigger.  It is not one size fits all.  It is like DR says above "whatever allows you to pull the trigger straight back"

What the other guys have said. Use what works for you.

If you ever get a chance to take a Zins clinic take note of the size of Brian Zins hands. His hands make mine look twice the size that they are. Brian shoots what works best for HIM and while it's a great starting point if you can palm a basketball the Zins grip might not work for you without some type of custom grip. I know that for myself, I shoot slabs on a 1911 with the middle of my trigger finger NOT the tip. If I use the tips of my trigger finger I end up pushing the gun to the left because I have big hands and long fingers. I shoot my S&W 41 the same way as my 1911.

To answer your question. I would shoot both guns using the same grip and trigger finger placement if both gun grips are the same style like slabs for instance. IMO accuracy is more about being able to repeat the same thing for every shot. If you are changing trigger finger placement from gun to gun I don't see that being beneficial to your scores.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 7/11/2014, 1:40 pm

Thanks guys. I have big hands. I've been able to palm a basketball since I was like 12. My 22 has a Ruger style grip, so not exactly the same as my 1911, but I guess I'll work on my trigger placement on the Volquartsen Scorpion. Thanks again.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/11/2014, 2:05 pm

Same principal no mater what gun, once you find the correct placement then you have to learn how to repeat it every time you grip the gun.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down