Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reloading Manuals

5 posters

Go down

Reloading Manuals Empty Reloading Manuals

Post by beeser 7/22/2014, 11:44 pm

I'm almost finished reading the Lyman "Reloading Handbook" in preparation of using my newly purchased Dillon XL 650.  You folks suggested earlier to get at least two manuals and I was wondering what else is recommended?  Again, I'm entirely new to reloading.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Reloading Manuals Empty Re: Reloading Manuals

Post by rvlvrlvr 7/23/2014, 12:38 am

I like the Speer manual...but since they make and sell bullets, their loads will list specifically their bullets. Though their loads give a good starting point for comparable bullets from other manufacturers (or bullets you make yourself). If nothing else, having two or more manuals will provide a sanity check if a load you're interested in sounds funky; make sure to pay attention to all the data provided - powder charge and bullet weight, of course, but also seating depth/overall length and amount of crimp should also be taken into account when cross-referencing things. For example, I thought some loads in the Lyman book looked too high or too low, until I saw they were using a different seating depth than the comparable ones in the Speer book; then things made sense.

The Lee book is also somewhat useful, though their loads seem to be completely out of whack sometimes when compared to the Speer and Lyman books. The Lee book covers a very wide variety of loads (and apparently with little testing; from what I gather, the Lee book is really more of a compilation of other published data), however, and includes bullets and sometimes powders that the other books don't.

Also: many powder manufacturers publish loads, online or in paper format, with common bullets using their powders, which are also helpful in figuring out where to start.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 7/23/2014, 6:28 am

I think it is important to read several manuals.  It is kind of like review for a test. The more you review the more you pick up and retain.  They are all good and all found on Amazon. Lyman, Hornady, lee, Speer etc.
You will pick up on things out of each manual you read that will make you safer reloader. I have helped several learn to reload and the ones that spent time reading more than one manual seemed to do better right from the start.  As mentioned by rvjvivr all powder manufactures have load data on their web sites to help but it is the process and knowing how to look for and recognize problems and issues that will serve you well.

I note you are starting out on a progressive.   I am not a anti progressive for beginners person but recommend you watch lots of youtube videos on progressive operations from set up to caliber changes to actual reloading.  Watch the videos that deal with solutions to problems etc.

Lots of good videos on your press and all other progressives at http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/08/09/xl650-loading-45acp-hd/

Stay away from the progressive hype of "rounds per hour"  focus on safe practices and developing a consistent smooth fluid stroke.  Guys starting out think they need to hit the hyped output numbers and it causes all sorts of problems.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 7/23/2014, 7:31 am

Keep a notebook/binder of your loads and the results from the range. This helps months later when you want to reproduce a load that proved to be accurate for a particular gun.  PM me if you want a pdf of blank forms for recording load data and range results.  Go slow at first and document your load data, and be safe.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 7/23/2014, 8:14 am

If you are only loading a couple calibers there is a series called Load Books availible.
They are grouped by caliber & include the specific sections from most manuals in one binder

The one thing to keep in mind is that when you have more than one watch you never know what time it really is.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 7/23/2014, 8:29 am

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:If you are only loading a couple calibers there is a series called Load Books availible.
They are grouped by caliber & include the specific sections from most manuals in one binder

The one thing to keep in mind is that when you have more than one watch you never know what time it really is.
I came across a rack of Load Books at a gun shop in San Diego last week and thought it was just some homebrew collection offered for sale locally.  I almost bought one for .45ACP but got distracted with something else.  I might order one now that I'm reminded of it.  Thanks!

Edit:  I just ordered the .45ACP, 9mm and .38 Special Load Books.

Last edited by beeser on 7/23/2014, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 7/23/2014, 8:37 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions on other manuals.  I should have most of the components; Dillon XL 650, powder, bullets, brass later this week but I don't intend to produce any rounds until I feel more comfortable with what I know about the process.  There are still a number of questions in my head that seem important enough to me to stop and give pause.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 7/23/2014, 9:01 am

Considering the consequences....EVERY question is important.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down