Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by beeser on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Is there a gun chambered in .45 caliber that is similar in design to the Pardini SP?  That is, without butchering the proper terminology, a gun with an internal slide and extractor and an outer housing that is fixed?

beeser

Posts : 920
Join date : 2014-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by Jon Eulette on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:29 pm

There is at this point no fixed barrel .45 pistol out there that I'm aware of. The pressures generated by the .45 are to great for a fixed barrel design. Also would require a much larger pistol. The slide velocity is slowed down by the upper barrel lugs and recoil spring.
Jon

Jon Eulette

Posts : 1159
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by rvlvrlvr on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Ed Masaki's "Dragon Gun" is the only fixed-barrel semi-automatic .45 pistol that I've seen - it's a highly modified 1911 with a fixed barrel and cut-down slide and uses direct blowback, which requires some serious porting to get pressures down enough to be safe.



Edit: and of course, it doesn't look or work anything like the Pardini SP/euro-guns that you're thinking of (direct blowback, internal bolt, fixed barrel, forward magazine, etc.).


Last edited by rvlvrlvr on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

rvlvrlvr

Posts : 190
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by DavidR on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:43 pm

And its doubtful if it will never be available Ed has the design up for sale but I haven't heard of anyone interested in producing it.

Pardini makes a 45 the GT, it looks kind like a 1911 but has a double stack wide grip and a adjustable trigger, they run a little over 2K, and only shoot FMJ's good, not very much luck with lead from all ive read over the 10 or more years its been out.

DavidR
Admin

Posts : 2856
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 62
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by rvlvrlvr on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm

rvlvrlvr wrote:Ed Masaki's "Dragon Gun" is the only fixed-barrel semi-automatic .45 pistol that I've seen...

I should correct myself - I have seen one other fixed-barrel semi-automatic .45 pistol: The Hi-Point Model JHP in .45. Hardly a Bullseye gun, the trigger pull is...strange, and the slide is blocky and heavy, since it uses pure direct blowback. But it does use a fixed barrel.

And there's that vaporware, the Hogue Avenger:



Edit: maybe not vaporware... http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=avenger though I have never seen one in person, and I don't currently have $1400 to find out whether it works...

rvlvrlvr

Posts : 190
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by Jon Eulette on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I forgot about Ed's pistol and the Avenger. The Avenger is kind of a crew served pistol LOL

Jon Eulette

Posts : 1159
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by beeser on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 pm

How about this one ...

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/other-handguns/wilson-match-45/

beeser

Posts : 920
Join date : 2014-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by rvlvrlvr on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:13 pm

beeser wrote:How about this one ...

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/other-handguns/wilson-match-45/

I forgot about that one (ha!) -- very cool!

rvlvrlvr

Posts : 190
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by bking on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:46 pm

DavidR wrote:Pardini makes a 45 the GT, it looks kind like a 1911 but has a double stack wide grip and a adjustable trigger, they run a little over 2K, and only shoot FMJ's good, not very much luck with lead from all ive read over the 10 or more years its been out.

Mine feeds 200gn LSWC's no problem. I've never had a fail to feed with it.

bking

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-09-02
Location : PDX

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by Ghillieman on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:54 am

beeser wrote:Is there a gun chambered in .45 caliber that is similar in design to the Pardini SP?  That is, without butchering the proper terminology, a gun with an internal slide and extractor and an outer housing that is fixed?

I contacted Pardini about the possibility of a SP and HP style .45, they said they had no intention of producing one. I have since purchased a GT45, that pistol is outstanding and easier to shoot than a 1911.

Ghillieman

Posts : 260
Join date : 2012-02-15
Location : TEXAS

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by DavidR on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 am

bking wrote:
DavidR wrote:Pardini makes a 45 the GT, it looks kind like a 1911 but has a double stack wide grip and a adjustable trigger, they run a little over 2K, and only shoot FMJ's good, not very much luck with lead from all ive read over the 10 or more years its been out.

Mine feeds 200gn LSWC's no problem. I've never had a fail to feed with it.

good to hear, how about the 50 yard accuracy with it?

DavidR
Admin

Posts : 2856
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 62
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by bking on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:09 pm

DavidR wrote:
bking wrote:
DavidR wrote:Pardini makes a 45 the GT, it looks kind like a 1911 but has a double stack wide grip and a adjustable trigger, they run a little over 2K, and only shoot FMJ's good, not very much luck with lead from all ive read over the 10 or more years its been out.

Mine feeds 200gn LSWC's no problem. I've never had a fail to feed with it.

good to hear, how about the 50 yard accuracy with it?
I've not rigged a rest with it or anything, but its not noticeably different from the 1911 that Roddy Toyota built for me. The test target he shot with that was 1 1/2" off sandbags with the same LSWC loads. I can probably go lighter as these loads are for a slide mounted dot on my 1911, but my GT is frame mounted.

I'm seating bullets to match the sample bullet he gave me with the wad gun build- here's a photo.

Sorry for the derail. I would love to see a .45 more like an SP, but I don't see how you could get the bore line as low in your hand (unless its an inverted revolver like a Rhino?). The GT is definitely lower than a 1911, and the pivoting trigger feels much closer to the SP than to a sliding 1911 trigger.
Attachments
roddy load.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(177 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

bking

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-09-02
Location : PDX

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by beeser on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:57 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:There is at this point no fixed barrel .45 pistol out there that I'm aware of. The pressures generated by the .45 are to great for a fixed barrel design. Also would require a much larger pistol. The slide velocity is slowed down by the upper barrel lugs and recoil spring.
Jon
What caliber do you think would be the maximum with the Pardini design?  They have at least one .32.

beeser

Posts : 920
Join date : 2014-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by Ghillieman on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm

A rotating barrel design would work. The SP and HP have bolt/slide that wraps around the barrel. It could lock up the barrel and travel back as one unit until the pressures are safe and then rotate to unlock.

Ghillieman

Posts : 260
Join date : 2012-02-15
Location : TEXAS

Back to top Go down

Wolf Ultramatic

Post by Russ OR on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Do a Web search for Wolf Ultramatic           -- Multi-Bianchi cup winner Doug Koenig used one for a short time.

Russ OR

Posts : 121
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon City, OR

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by Colt711 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Have any of you seen or shot a "gasgun"? Stephen Price had 2 in .45. He did say the lead bullets caused problems in the gas port. I shot one, 2 rounds. All the ammo he gave me. It did felt  different.

They were 1911's modified. A gun could be ordered in .45ACP, .38 Special, & .32. Later the .32 was listed as discontinued.

Dave Bowser bought one and made the comment it needed a trigger job. The last I checked the site; gasgun.com it was gone and I heard the fellow had moved to FL.

It would seem jacketed bullets should have been dictated?

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Posts : 402
Join date : 2012-06-07
Age : 74
Location : Hudson, Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by DavidR on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Here ya go, fixed barrel, target gun, just goes to show, you can have almost anything you want if you throw enough cash at the project.





!

DavidR
Admin

Posts : 2856
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 62
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by beeser on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:30 pm

DavidR wrote:Here ya go, fixed barrel, target gun, just goes to show, you can have almost anything you want if you throw enough cash at the project.





!

If the video wasn't irritating enough the gun looks plain stooopid.  No thanks.

beeser

Posts : 920
Join date : 2014-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by DavidR on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:34 pm

Just a point, that you don't need to reinvent the wheel just need to master how to use it.

DavidR
Admin

Posts : 2856
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 62
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: Similar design to Pardini SP in .45?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:12 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum