WTB Smith & Wesson 617 .22cal 6-shot

Go down

WTB Smith & Wesson 617 .22cal 6-shot

Post by bogierich on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:39 am

Looking to complete the three gun set by going all revolver and decided that the 617-4 (or similar) 6-shot revolver is the way I want to go. Need at least a 6" barrel and it must be in great shape for accurate .22 bullseye use. Plan on mounting a red dot on the revolver.

Thanks!
bogierich

http://RichardBogath.com

Back to top Go down

Re: WTB Smith & Wesson 617 .22cal 6-shot

Post by rvlvrlvr on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:12 am

Current production is the 617-6. No-dash, -1, -3, and -5 had six-shot cylinders; -2, -4, and -6 had 10-shot cylinders. -2 cylinders were mostly aluminum alloy, though later production ones had stainless steel cylinders. -5 and -6 have internal locks (no functional difference, but it does make the guns a little heavier and change the balance a little as the frames are altered to accomodate the lock). -1 and later have top-straps drilled & tapped to accept modern scope mounts. -1 and later have round-butt grip frames. Later -1's and -2's have MIM triggers; -3 through -6 have MIM triggers and hammers.

The current production Model 17-9 "Classics" is also an option (blued, MIM trigger/hammer, internal lock, factory drilled&tapped).

Most any Model 17, though, could be made to work in Bullseye; Weaver clamp-on scope mounts would provide a place to mount a scope (though they can mar the finish where they clamp around the frame->barrel section).

The Model 17-8 (either the normal production model with the full-lug barrel and 10-shot aluminum cylinder w/forged hammer/trigger, or the Lew Horton Heritage Series model with the tapered non-lugged barrel and 6-shot cylinder w/MIM hammer/trigger; they were both called "17-8") would also be easy to mount a scope on -- it is also factory drilled & tapped.

The 17-6 and 17-7 also had full-lug barrels.

Last edited by rvlvrlvr on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by bogierich on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:20 am

I appreciate the detailed info! I suppose it would not be awful to have a 10-shot cylinder. I just wasn't sure if speed loaders were available for them. Either way, it's no big deal  I think I'd like to avoid the heavier option of the lock though.
bogierich

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 am

bogierich wrote:I appreciate the detailed info! I suppose it would not be awful to have a 10-shot cylinder. I just wasn't sure if speed loaders were available for them. Either way, it's no big deal  I think I'd like to avoid the heavier option of the lock though.

There are speedloaders available for the 10-shot cylinder: http://speed-beez.webstorepowered.com and http://ds10speed.wordpress.com (the original, I think). They both work on the same idea: rounds are retained by a spring that goes around the body of the speedloader, and rounds are punched out by "rams" when the loader is operated. The real time-saver, however, are the loading blocks that both websites sell: having the ammo staged and ready to be loaded into the loader makes things much easier.

You can also load using most any .22 semi-auto magazine (did that for a while before getting the speedloader); doesn't take much more time, and with practice you won't have to worry about holding up the line to load (sometimes even being loaded and ready to go before same semi-auto shooters are ready).
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by bogierich on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 am

Those loaders and blocks are very cool and the .22 semi-auto mag is a great idea! Thanks again!
bogierich

Back to top Go down

22 revoler for BE competition

Post by albertrichard123 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:45 am

My preference would be:
SW k-22 Masterpiece Model 16, 6" bbl etc with the  target trigger, target hammer  ( both are extra wide as compared to non target t&h) Wide hammer a real plus in tf/rf matches. This usually came with the extra large "target stocks" too.

Out of the box this was a good one as is. You might go the extra mile and send this to Alpha Precision. I send him a K-32 and he crowns the muzzle, correct the push -off, fit DA sear, Adj SA trigger pull, Acu-throating, Forcing cone, cut to 11 degrees, B-C gap, cylinder end play and headspace adj, cylinder stop, oversize, S&W, Modify modern cylinder stop to 4 screw configuration

RR test with my reloads, consistently 1.5 groups at 50yards, the cylinder was rock solid when returned, no movement left or right. forward or back. You might want to order Herritt target stock made to fit your hand pattern without having to send the gun to them as they have the "K' frame down pat needing only the traced outline of your shooting hand.

Alpha Precision Inc
             2765Prestonn Road N. E.
             Good Hope, Georgia 30641
             (770) 267-6163

More info including RR test target, pictures and target stock source are in my files if needed.......by email only etc.
good luck AR Harris  ardickharris1@sbcglobal.net  559-432-2568

albertrichard123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum