Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie on the Path to Distinguished

+9
sixftunda
BE Mike
Yiogo
DeweyHales
Astroimage2002
LenV
Rob Kovach
DavidR
gptuners
13 posters

Go down

exercise - Newbie on the Path to Distinguished Empty Newbie on the Path to Distinguished

Post by gptuners 8/19/2014, 9:54 am

Hi,

So my friend has shot at Camp Perry for the last four years, and although I haven't went with him yet, he did get me to try bullseye at our local range one day. It was extremely humbling, since I come from a tactical pistol/ IDPA type background. So I asked him if we can try to do some dedicated practice, hit the local CMP/EIC matches, and see if we can start earning some points. I has no illusions that this will be an easy task, but you have to have goals, right? Smile

So far, using a box-stock 92FS, I shot a 99 on my first outing (using repair center targets), and this weekend, I shot a 142 (also using repair center targets). Time to invest in some real B6/B8 targets, and see show far this thing will get me until I feel the need for sights or accurizing.

I'll be milking you all for a advice as son as I can wrap my mind around what I want to ask. Wink

Take care,
Carlos
gptuners
gptuners

Back to top Go down

exercise - Newbie on the Path to Distinguished Empty Re: Newbie on the Path to Distinguished

Post by DavidR 8/19/2014, 10:25 am

good luck with your quest! And welcome to the forum
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

exercise - Newbie on the Path to Distinguished Empty Re: Newbie on the Path to Distinguished

Post by Rob Kovach 8/19/2014, 10:30 am

If you can shoot 99s on the short line, you are well on your way to distinguished points.

Welcome to the addiction!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/19/2014, 11:50 am

I am pretty sure the 99 was for the NMC. That is still a real good start. He came up a bunch on his next try. We have  shooters that have been shooting a long time that would be pleased with the 142. I wonder how much that could go up if he had adjustable sights and a pistol that could shoot something less then 8" groups at 50 yds. I think Carlos is going to love this sport.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by gptuners 8/19/2014, 1:37 pm

Sorry, I meant to say both scores were from three targets (slow 50, timed 25, rapid 25).

What's NMC?

Any improvements were due to some dry fire, and holding the detergent for max time between laundry loads. Smile
 exercise - Newbie on the Path to Distinguished Purex

Thanks for the warm welcome!
gptuners
gptuners

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/19/2014, 1:58 pm

Those three scores added together make up a National Match Course...NMC
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Astroimage2002 8/19/2014, 11:16 pm

Slow fire + Timed Fire + Rapid Fire = NMC (National Match Course)
Slow + Slow + Slow + Timed + Rapid + Timed + Timed + Rapid + Rapid =  a "900" 
Shoot a 900 with your 22 then a 900 with your center fire the a 900 with your 45 and you have a 2700.

Astroimage2002

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales 8/20/2014, 10:22 am

Welcome. 

Try shooting your Beretta from a rest to see what kind of groups you can get. 

Even if the gun does not shoot all that tightly at 50 yards, you can practice your 25 yard skills. 

At most matches, people have loaner guns and ammo.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo 8/21/2014, 6:00 am

Sure can be humbling and challenging. But I do enjoy it. I started shooting bullseye just a few years ago at 64 yo. All I've shot is NMC both indoors and out at 25 yards.

I like shooting and I have been progressing which is heartening.

Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/21/2014, 9:51 am

IMHO, roll-up exercises help. This is what I'm talking about: 
http://www.superseniorfitness.com/2013/01/how-to-improve-grip-strength/

Most people loose points with the ball gun in the rapid fire portion of the NMC. My advice is to train with that 4 lb. trigger in rapid fire as much as possible. IMHO personal turning targets are worth the investment. You can build your own or buy one like this: 
http://www.portabletargets.com/
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/21/2014, 10:00 am

I totally agree with BE Mike that practicing with turning targets is helpful for preparing for competition.   tongue 

For you however, I wouldn't worry about turning target drills until your slow fire is in the 70s and you can shoot a timed fire target without a timer and all the shots land in the black.  That will tell you that you have a shot process and effective trigger control--and that's the most important first step.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gptuners 8/21/2014, 3:34 pm

Ooo.... I've done rollups before- they smoke the forearms. As far as grip strength is concerned, I tend to do a lot of repetitions of pullups, enjoy deadlifting, and Olympic lifts.

Hmm, I never thought about the turning targets. So does the clock start on the timed and rapid fire section as soon as the targets turn, or do they turn, and then there's a beep?
gptuners
gptuners

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 8/21/2014, 8:15 pm

The clock starts when the targets are completely facing the shooter, and they don't turn away until the full time has elapsed.  No beeps.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gptuners 8/22/2014, 9:58 am

Hmm. Do targets ever get hit with sideways shots? How do elongated holes get scored?
gptuners
gptuners

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda 8/22/2014, 10:08 am

I hit my target sideways just this morning at practice.  It happens to all of us.  Since my backer was slightly bowed the bullet entered from the back.  It would be scored as a zero.  When the bullet hits the target as it is turning it is called a "skidder". 

I have even sliced a target clean in half.

I don't have the time right now to explain scoring skidders but it is in the NRA rulebook.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/23/2014, 8:26 am

Everyone who wants to compete, should be familiar with the rulebook. Your question is answered under section 14. Here is a link to the rule book: http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 8/23/2014, 11:55 am

BE Mike wrote:Everyone who wants to compete, should be familiar with the rulebook. Your question is answered under section 14. Here is a link to the rule book: http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf

When I first started shooting bullseye, my dad made me read the rule book cover-to-cover.

I was 13.

He was a good coach, that guy.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by jman 8/25/2014, 8:10 am

(b) In case of skid shots, the higher value is awarded if the leaded edge of the bullet hole touches the scoring ring of higher value, except the value of a skid shot may not be more than one ring higher than the original point of bullet contact with the target. The target shall be defined as the entire card or paper on which the scoring rings are printed but shall not include the backing. When the original point of bullet contact is on the target card, but outside the scoring rings, and the leaded edge of the bullet touches a scoring ring, it will be given the value of the lowest scoring ring.

jman

Back to top Go down

exercise - Newbie on the Path to Distinguished Empty exercise for pistol marksmanship

Post by Motorcycle_dan 10/3/2014, 2:15 pm

gptuners wrote:Ooo.... I've done rollups before- they smoke the forearms. As far as grip strength is concerned, I tend to do a lot of repetitions of pullups, enjoy deadlifting, and Olympic lifts.

The roll up is wonderful exercise.  No more than 5lb.  Up then down twice.

Another good one is a BoSu ball.  Stand on the ball both feet near the middle in a "skiier stance" knees bent etc.  Small weights 3~5lb in each hand.  Raise arms to the side and make the letter "C" with with weights.  Do about 20 then relax for 30 sec. (staying on the ball) Raise arms and do another set of "C's" except backwards.  If the open end of C was forward, do the open end backwards.  Again a set of 20 or so.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan 10/3/2014, 2:20 pm

My Humble Opinion,  Forget about getting the Beretta to shoot accurate.  Learn to shoot a .45 accurate.  Very easy to make an accurate at 50yd 1911.  9mm not so much.  Very finickey about everything. 
Talent and a 1911 with a fitted bushing and winchester white box ammo can get you into the points.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/5/2014, 12:33 pm

I've shot with some guys with David Sams Berettas and ammo from Atlanta Arms absolutely clean up.  Personally, I'm not attracted to the M9, even with using in the service for years, but if I was going to purchase one, Dave can build a wicked one.  I just never could come to love that pistol and for me (not applicable to anyone else) I found it to be a little challenging to shoot.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan 10/7/2014, 2:31 pm

Jayhawk, (were you brown shoe? Retired GSCS(sw) Gas Turbine snipe myself)
I'm not saying the M9 can't be accurate.  And Dave Sams is the ultimate builder of such fine pistols.  I have a rebarreled 92FS Ugly but shoots.  Also just came into posession of a MCP Beretta.  They can shoot well, It just takes a lot of effort to keep it shooting well.  The 1911 is just an easier platform.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/7/2014, 3:11 pm

Negative.  Black shoe, topside SWO LCDR (Weapons/Combat Systems type). 

I'm 100% onboard with the M9.  I like the lower recoil, but I'm averse to the rail inserts, one off bushing, etc. required to get it to shoot well aside from the DA trigger and fat grips, both of which Dave can mitigate, but I prefer the 1911 ergonomics.  I went with a 1911 based on the assumption that Dave, who lives near me and I get to visit often, probably wouldn't live forever to maintain my EIC pistol.  If funds were unlimited I guess I would have both.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by gptuners 7/20/2015, 12:54 pm

Oh wow- I completely forgot about this thread! I've been shooting once or twice a month, and finally competed. Everyone at Camp Perry was awesome, and extremely helpful.

I took SAFS, and did better than I have so far after some coaching from Barry Worster (USMC Shooting Team). It was my first time breaking 200, so his coaching really helped.

M9 EIC Pistol Match (all from 25 yards)
90  - 171  - 044  - 0205  - 1 

Due to the rule changes, I was able to shoot my stock Sig Sauer 1911 in the Service Pistol match. I shot about the same with it:

CMP EIC Pistol Match  
Felix, Carlos, CIV (228315)58  - 079  - 066  - 0203  - 0 

The next weekend, I woke up with a cold, and was not feeling great. That coupled with the rain, made for a crappy showing:

President's Pistol Match 
118  - 149  - 045  - 0212  - 1

National Trophy Individual Pistol Match
29  - 155  - 037  - 0121  - 1

Even being sick, cold, and soaking wet, I loved it! Thanks for everyone being patient with me out there, and I'll try to be more active on the forum. Wink

(I took TONS of pictures. I seemed luck out with some angles and locations that made for some great ones.)
gptuners
gptuners

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down