Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to jump to another better 1911?

+9
inthebeech
Richard Ashmore
BE Mike
gulliver62
Rich/WIS
dronning
DavidR
Axehandle
beeser
13 posters

Go down

When to jump to another better 1911? Empty When to jump to another better 1911?

Post by beeser Wed 27 Aug 2014, 4:56 pm

I think shortening the trigger and possibly a trigger job may be the extent of what is worthwhile to do on a Range Officer.  I've kicked and screamed here looking for a .45 other than another 1911 and you guys have me almost convinced that my search for something better than a custom built 1911 would be futile.  First of all, when would it be a good time to make the jump to a better quality 1911?  Will it be measured in time or number of rounds fired or ....?  And then what quality, custom built 1911?

beeser

Back to top Go down

When to jump to another better 1911? Empty Re: When to jump to another better 1911?

Post by Axehandle Wed 27 Aug 2014, 5:15 pm

You are the only one who will know when it it time.  FWIW that RO has the base parts to be the best 1911 on the planet.  You can spend more but your gains will be so small they will  be of no consequence.    FWIW as you shoot look at at other shooter's instruments  and what works and what doesn't.  Take note of names of the gunsmiths who build stuff that works.   Don't fall into the trap thinking that any specific gun or configuration will make you the shooter you want to be.

Last edited by Axehandle on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

When to jump to another better 1911? Empty Re: When to jump to another better 1911?

Post by DavidR Wed 27 Aug 2014, 5:20 pm

There is no real reason to go to a different gun other than wanting something different if you as a shooter cant out shoot the group size the gun will shoot. I know a good range officer and good ammo is capable of master level and higher scores because a few on here reached that level with them.
If you just had to have something besides a conventional 1911, then the pardini gt 45 is your best bet, imo.

Last edited by DavidR on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed 27 Aug 2014, 5:54 pm

beeser, that RO will take you easily to Master.  It's been said time and time again you can't buy points.  But I would add this caveat: whatever gun you are shooting it must fit, have a good trigger, group under 3" and function reliably.  If you need to spend money to fix those things then do so.  Beyond that, until you make Master you are wasting time and money. IMHO

You are better off developing your shot process, setting goals and putting together a plan to reach them.

- Dave

Now if you just want to buy new hardware then by all means do so.  One thing that is a common denominator with bullseye shooters - we love new hardware!
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS Wed 27 Aug 2014, 8:38 pm

Have had a RO for over two years now and about the only things I can think of that could be done to it are a fitted bushing and maybe??? a little finessing of the trigger.  I don't shoot competition anymore but if I did I would not feel I was handicapping myself with the RO as it is right now.  The only change I have made was to replace the flat main spring housing with an arched non ILS MSH.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by gulliver62 Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm

I have seen a RO with limited modifications shoot under 2" at 50yd from a Ransom with 200g swaged handloads.  You can get better than that for serious $$$ but unless you are shooting about 96+ consistently at the long line with it, I don't see the reason.
gulliver62
gulliver62

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu 28 Aug 2014, 10:54 am

I was shooting a series 70 Colt Gold Cup as a sharpshooter, when I had trouble with it at a match at Ft. Sam Houston (that'll take some of you back). I was shooting next to Ken Buster of the All Army National Guard team. He gave my pistol to his gunsmith for repair and told me that I should get something better. I had been noticing that my shots weren't on call at the long line. Ken loaned me his backup gun to shoot. It wasn't long before I had a new Clark Heavy Slide delivered to my door. Shortly thereafter, I made expert. To sum up, my pistol was substandard and I was advancing enough that I suspected I was outshooting it. Today's target 1911's are so much more accurate out-of-the-box that, after a trigger job, most bullseye shooters wouldn't benefit from a custom pistol until well up in the expert class, IMHO. All that being said, if you have the money and patience, a custom pistol will eliminate all doubt in your mind (once your ammo is up to snuff) about your equipment. Some people only then can focus on refining the loose nut behind the trigger.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

When to jump to another better 1911? Empty Can you buy points?

Post by Richard Ashmore Fri 29 Aug 2014, 8:21 am

dronning wrote: It's been said time and time again you can't buy points. 

Every point you buy is one fewer you have to shoot. lol!

That said, know your equipment, and your own skill level.  The better you shoot, the fewer points there are remaining to be gained. If your pistol is only capable of six inch groups, identical technique can get you a 100-10X or an 80-0X, and you'll never know for sure what needs improvement.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Fri 29 Aug 2014, 8:33 pm

You got to have a Mountain Competition rig. They make one ragged hole !  And have them put an Aimpoint Micro on it. Why would you leave points on the table; not to mention how aesthetically pleasing it is.
It's what you want to hear isn't ?
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm

Might well start at the top Razz

http://mobile.eurooptic.com/cabot-1911-45-acp-bullseye-with-aimpoint-h1.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Sat 30 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

DavidR wrote:....
If you just had to have something besides a conventional 1911, then the pardini gt 45 is your best bet, imo.
That really does seem to be a good choice.  However, after getting into my small hand fit with the RO the Pardini may be a problem.  Someone on this forum brought up the large Pardini grip before but it didn't register with me until now.  So, it would probably be a good idea for me to try one out before committing to a purchase.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Sat 30 Aug 2014, 1:11 pm

Beeser;
I handled a GT45 a couple years ago.
Yes, the grip is larger and if I remember right it was wider also.
It fit me but felt odd.
I like a wide grip for my large hands.
The Beretta 92 that I use for EIC fits me like a glove, some do not shoot the 92 just because it is a double stack(wide).
I would find a GT and handle it first for sure before committing to purchasing one sight unseen.
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat 30 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

When to go to better 1911?   When do you go from .22 to .45?  A good time to go from .22 to 45 when you can call your shots perfectly to the ring.  A good time to go to a better .45 is when the shot holes are not on your calls consistently.   Therefore it starts with being able to accurately call your shot.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat 30 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm

The GT 45 2 lanes down from me at the WI State shoot had several alibi's, I'm not sure what the deal was but I have heard they can be a little finicky.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Sat 30 Aug 2014, 11:16 pm

I got to hold and dry fire John Zurek's Pardini at Canton this year.  His hands are bigger than mine and he took the grips off completely and put grip tape right on the frame.  The trigger is real smooth but operates on a pivot like the M9 and not straight back like a 1911.  It is accurate but would take some getting used to if you are used to 1911's.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue 02 Sep 2014, 2:47 pm

beeser wrote:
DavidR wrote:....
That really does seem to be a good choice.  However, after getting into my small hand fit with the RO the Pardini may be a problem.  Someone on this forum brought up the large Pardini grip before but it didn't register with me until now.  So, it would probably be a good idea for me to try one out before committing to a purchase.

The truth is the pardini is the best choice in a non conventional 45 , but the truth you don't seem to want to hear is the real key to good scores will be found with a true 1911. If there was anything more accurate and shootable for bullseye then you would see every top shooter at camp perry with one in there hand... but what you see is every one of them shoot a true 1911
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue 02 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

Brian posted this on a similar thread on facebook, and I wanted to share it here.  It speaks to when you should upgrade:
Oh, and when you see the typo "fin" insert "gun".
When to jump to another better 1911? Brian_10
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down