Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911?

+4
beeser
sixftunda
Rob Kovach
inthebeech
8 posters

Go down

SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911? Empty SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911?

Post by inthebeech Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Are there any differences in tollerancing, hand fitting, or materials that might give an accuracy edge to this model over the Range Officer out of the box?  Ambi-safties, checkering, and stainless do not impact my decision.  I'd like to know if they genuinely build the Trophy these days with any greater precision.
Thanks,
Ed
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911? Empty Re: SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911?

Post by Rob Kovach Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 pm

I've shot a 98 slowfire with mine. Frame to slide fit is a little better in mine than Range Officers I've shot.  I wouldn't say the bushing is any better or worse in my gun than an RO.  Accuracy between the RO and my gun is similar.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911? Empty Re: SA Trophy - shiny rack grade or truly accurized 1911?

Post by sixftunda Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:44 am

Looking at it from a money standpoint:
 When I bought my RO at the beginning of my Bullseye career, I looked at the Trophy.  The price of a Trophy gets much closer to the price of a used BE gun than a RO.  I saw a RO this week at a local gun store for 750 new.  I have never seen a Trophy in a store, on Bud's or GB they are running around 1200-1300.  If you are patient you can get a dedicated BE gun for 1500 and once or twice I have seen them go for less.  I would question whether the gun was worth the 500 or more price difference especially since Rob reports the accuracy is similar.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:27 am

From the SA website and mentioned on this forum before .....

"The .45 ACP Range Officer has the same quality national match frame and slide as the Trophy Match and TRP 1911s.  It gets the same precision fit as these pistols, too.  And in the same national match stainless steel barrel and bushing, ..."

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 am

I recently bought a SA Trophy Match. I haven't yet tested it for accuracy. The barrel bushing fit to the slide and barrel are not nearly as tight as my Clark Heavy Slide. As with all non-custom SA pistols, it can use a good trigger job. The checkering on the front strap is very good and should be considered when comparing prices with a RO.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:32 am

BE Mike wrote:I recently bought a SA Trophy Match. I haven't yet tested it for accuracy. The barrel bushing fit to the slide and barrel are not nearly as tight as my Clark Heavy Slide. As with all non-custom SA pistols, it can use a good trigger job. The checkering on the front strap is very good and should be considered when comparing prices with a RO.
Yes, the checkering on the front strap looks very appealing.  It also looks like there's an allen head screw holding the bushing in place instead of a knurled button.  I wonder why the difference?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am

Trophy Match has a 2 piece N.M. full length guide rod

-Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 am

Most trophies ive had didn't have a good a slide/frame fit as any RO ive handled.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Good enough for me. Thanks guys for the input. I am just chewing on the thought of having a back up to my wad gun when that goes to my smith after the outdoor season is over.  Indoor picks up right after outdoor and I'd be without a 45 if I don't finally spring for a second gun.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:23 pm

I've talked to Dave W., the head of Springfield's custom shop about this, and he felt the TM, TRP, RO, etc. are fit to the same standard.  If you find one better than the other, its a random act of kindness.  None recieve any more special treatment than the other; therefore you are paying for features vice quality of fit. 

That said, I would stay with carbon steel forged frames/slide over stainless IMO, which lends itself to the RO.  I wish the TM was carbon steel vice stainless to avoid paying for FSC on a RO Sad
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down