Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal bullets for DR

+3
Ghillieman
james r chapman
inthebeech
7 posters

Go down

Legal bullets for DR Empty Legal bullets for DR

Post by inthebeech 9/15/2014, 7:54 am

Would I be compliant with the rules in using the RCBS 150 gr SWC?  It is splitting hairs I suppose but cast soft enough I think I can get the weight up to the stated 158 gr.  It's just that nominally it is listed as 150 gr.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Legal bullets for DR Empty Re: Legal bullets for DR

Post by james r chapman 9/15/2014, 8:43 am

not positive, but, I'd believe they'd use the nominal bullet weight the manufacturer specifies for the bullet...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman 9/15/2014, 3:37 pm

I looked at that same mold and decided to go with the RCBS 158 RN, glad I did.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/15/2014, 4:15 pm

If you read the rules it doesn't say you have to shoot a 158 gr, it says the gun must be capable of chambering and firing a 158 gr, round nose or semi wadcutter. But if your competing in the spirit of the game you should use what is stated. 158 not 150.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 9/17/2014, 5:31 am

Good enough 
Thanks guys
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/4/2015, 10:52 pm

The new rulebook clarifies this:

• 3.1.4 Distinguished Revolver - The revolver must be capable of chambering and firing a 158-grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter .38 Special cartridge. It must be a factory manufactured revolver with no external modifications except for stocks which may be modified or changed because of the size of the competitor’ hand or to facilitate loading. Except for stocks and the honing of the sear or sear notch to make a more crisp trigger, and maintain a 2 1/2 lb. minimum trigger pull, no external or internal modification may be made to the revolver as manufactured and sold by the factory of origin. No parts may be removed from the revolver, either externally or internally, nor may any part be added, with the exception of milling the cylinder to accommodate moon clips. Specifically prohibited is any system of recoil control based upon compensators, barrel venting, barrel porting or weighted grips. Exposed holes that have been drilled and tapped for mounting of a scope are not considered to be an external modification.[/font">

(a) Trigger - Must have single and double action capability and must be capable of lifting 2 1/2 lbs when the revolver is cocked for single action firing. Triggers will be weighed. Any trigger, sold by the manufacturer of the revolver, without modification, may be used.[/font">

(b) Sights - Fixed or adjustable rear sights may be used. An adjustable front sight is not allowed.[/font">

(c) Barrel - Length not to exceed six and one-half inches (6 1/2").[/font">

(d) Stocks - Except as set forth above, the right and left stocks must be mirror images of each other.[/font">

(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet only.

(f) The following are not allowed. Trigger Shoes, compensators of any type or design; any external trigger stop device; any internal trigger stop not originally installed by the factory as original equipment in stock revolvers of the same make and model; tape on the stocks or stocks flared at the base..[/font">
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/4/2015, 11:00 pm

So, you DO need to fire a 158gr bullet for a DR match.
If your alloy has a lot of tin and antimony, you can have a 158gr mould, but the bullets come out a little light.

In my opinion, if you were using a 158gr mould or the manufacturer calls the bullet a 158gr bullet, it is legal even if it weighs in a few grains under what it should.

If you read my thread about "DR ammo that doesn't suck" it is so difficult to reload .38spl that shoots well at 50 yards, but it's so easy to find Remington 158gr LRN ammo that shoots way better....
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/28/2015, 5:59 pm

Is this the FINAL rule? A few months ago, the NRA wrote any bullet was legal. Which is it; any bullet, or only a 158 grain bullet?

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/28/2015, 7:00 pm

the rules are now very, very clear.

FINAL rules for Distinguished Revolver.

(e) Ammunition-
Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet
only.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 4/28/2015, 7:04 pm

Would a 158 grain JHP or JSP be legal? I don't see where it says lead only.
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/28/2015, 7:18 pm

ric1911a1 wrote:Would a 158 grain JHP or JSP be legal? I don't see where it says lead only.
Now THAT is unclear. If I was the boss, I'd say yep, it's only by weight.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/28/2015, 7:35 pm

It is not only by weight. The rules say round nose or semi wadcutter only. I searched and have never been able to find a 158r RN or a 158gr SWC in a jacketed bullet. I had the same idea.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/28/2015, 7:39 pm

hmmm. Corbin swaging dies...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down