Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot

+4
dstates
Richard Ashmore
dronning
knightimac
8 posters

Go down

Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot Empty Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot

Post by knightimac Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:57 pm

How many folks out there use a merit optical attachment on their glasses when shooting iron sights?

How about when shooting a dot?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Paul
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot Empty Re: Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot

Post by dronning Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:52 pm

I don't use the Merit so I can't comment on that. But I do use an adjustable IRIS on my Knoblauch glasses for iron sights, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to shoot irons. I did try the Knoblauch's with the iris out recently when using a dot because I forgot my other glasses. It worked out quite well, the dot was actually round for the first time in quite a while.

You (I) lose a lot of light with the iris stopped down far enough to do some good.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot Empty Re: Merit Optical Attachment for iron sights and dot

Post by Richard Ashmore Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:57 pm

dronning wrote: I did try the Knoblauch's with the iris out recently when using a dot because I forgot my other glasses.  It worked out quite well, the dot was actually round for the first time in quite a while.

- Dave

In general, if the dot isn't round, you have uncorrected astigmatism Crying or Very sad

Time for a visit to the optometrist.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Richard A.

I know you said "In general", but my dot is not round with my corrected vision.  I did go to my eye doctor.  For me, I have a perfectly round dot in high light situations, but when I shoot indoor and my pupil gets bigger, my dot gains a lot of "flares".  I can shine a light in my eyes or look into a light and then back at my dot and the dot becomes round again.

I share this not to be corrective, but to give anyone else reading this that doesn't have a clear dot another area to investigate with their eye doctor.

Doug

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:01 pm

dstates,

That happened to me yesterday. I was shooting 22s outside with ultradots basically in a thunderstorm and had flares on both dots. I cleaned the dots, my eyes and my glasses and still had flares. The sun broke through about halfway through my practice  and I had perfectly round dots again. Now I have to wonder if it is my eyes or the transition lenses in my glasses. Hmmm

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Richard Ashmore wrote:
dronning wrote: I did try the Knoblauch's with the iris out recently when using a dot because I forgot my other glasses.  It worked out quite well, the dot was actually round for the first time in quite a while.

- Dave

In general, if the dot isn't round, you have uncorrected astigmatism Crying or Very sad

Time for a visit to the optometrist.

Yea last time I went we had that fixed but obviously my eyes are changing again. Sad  My optometrist is a shotgunner so he knows what I am looking for which makes it nice.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi Doug,

This is how I perceive problems with a not so round red dot in my particular order, starting from the most obvious:

1. Uncorrected vision, probably astigmatism but it could be in conjunction with something else

2. Poor eye exam

3. Improperly made eyeglass prescription

4. Lenticular opacities (mild cataracts) which may be dependent upon location, thus the variation to the roundness of the dot due to pupil size caused by various lighting conditions

5. Spherical aberrations within the aging eye.  Our lenses change as we become older and we develop more spherical aberrations which is more noticeable with a wider pupil.

Regards,

Norman

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Smaller pupil triggers the optical hyperfocal distance thing and covers up astigmatism and focus deficiencies in the human eye.

That's why your eye exams are done in subdued light, and even some docs will dilate your eyes with those headache-inducing eyedrops.

Having had glasses since the beginning of 2nd grade AND paid attention to what I see, well, like Yogi Berra said, I've seen a lot by just looking.

Knew a guy with one eye with a 1:2 ratio oblong pupil. He almost never got the bright light correcting the vision effect out of that eye. The "OEM" lens plus any correction had to be perfect.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by gunr Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi Paul,
I do have a Merit peep and it's great for slow fire with iron sights.
Timed and rapid...not so much. For me it's tough to pick up the sights after recoil with the peep on.
Short of eye surgery it does clear up the sights and the target.
A less expensive option is the blinder style with the spinning multiple size holes ( Bullseye Gear).
I just drilled my RO for a new Ultra Dot.
Come to Johnstown, I'll let you try mine! Surprised
gunr

gunr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down