Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion

+7
dronning
jmdavis
DavidR
Motorcycle_dan
LenV
john bickar
Jon Eulette
11 posters

Go down

Nelson Conversion Empty Nelson Conversion

Post by Jon Eulette 11/13/2014, 9:41 am

Was shooting a Nelson Conversion I had previously built on a SA Mil-Spec lower for another shooter. I had shot this back in July. I just built the upper .45 slide into wadgun for this lower. After test firing the .45 I put the conversion back on to make sure all was well. The conversion wasn't picking up 2nd round in magazine (would cycle 3-5 after hand cycling round 3 into chamber). Standard recoil spring is 9# and too heavy. Temperatures in July were over 100 degrees. Temperature was 53 degrees on this day. Was shooting R50, Eley and Aguila. When it warmed up into the mid 60's I had no functioning problems.

Moral of the story; you might want to get an 8# spring and keep it on hand for those colder days.

Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Empty Re: Nelson Conversion

Post by john bickar 11/13/2014, 11:00 am

Did you put a drop of oil on the first round in the magazine? Smile
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/13/2014, 11:01 am

I am going a different path. I have a match Saturday and it is supposed to get up to 38 degrees. I dug deep into my 22 ammo and found a brick of CCI mini mags. The extra oomph should do the job nicely.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/13/2014, 11:11 am

I've never oiled .22 cartridges. Never needed to. I believe it's not a good practice. Can cause hydraulic pressure in barrel between bullet and rifling. I know many shooters do it, but I don't. Over the years I've shot Ruger, Hammerli, Walther, Unique, Pardini, Marvel and whatever I've forgotten...all without oil on cartridge. ; p)
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan 11/13/2014, 11:25 am

In the north we come up with creative ideas on how to deal with cold.  Keep mag in pocket, Warm ammo on defroster on the drive to match / league.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 11/13/2014, 11:26 am

cold effects everything, even your hands are smaller in cold weather and can effect your grip.

Last edited by DavidR on 11/13/2014, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/13/2014, 11:26 am

john bickar wrote:Did you put a drop of oil on the first round in the magazine? Smile

Funny you should mention this John. A couple of weeks ago we were shooting indoors at Rivanna in C-Ville and I was having Feed Failures with my Benelli. Having been taught to put a drop of oil on the top of every Timed and Rapid Magazine in the .45 I tried it in the .22 and IT WORKED. No more issues for the rest of the night. 

What I did not relate it to until last night was temperature. It never crossed my mind until I had problems with a cleaned and lubed gun last night and the shooter beside me did with her Ruger as well. A drop of light oil (Snake Oil or Hoppes) on the top round followed by spreading it with my finger solved the issue for both of us. The only rapid mag I failed to do it for had the last round fail to chamber.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 11/13/2014, 11:30 am

At the range with temp in the 30's everyone was having cycling issues except the 2 of use that had our ammo in our inside coat pocket.  I also started using synthetic oil on the slide.  No issues!

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/13/2014, 11:31 am

Perhaps a light coat of oil on the disconnector rail will do the same thing as oil on cartridge? Friction from 2nd round being pushed up by magazine spring in colder temperature is probably the culprit. I also noticed ejection was more to the side instead of to the rear.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/13/2014, 11:35 am

I will admit that I lubed the rails on the Benelli with tetraglide grease when I cleaned on tuesday. I had never had issues with it before, but I also had only used it in warm weather. 

The previous instance I had lubed with oil though.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 11/13/2014, 11:38 am

I run an 8lb or 7lb recoil spring in my conversions--just to make sure I don't have a short stroke on cold days.  I still have some Eley sport and Aguila subsonico--I would probably not need the 7lb spring with hotter ammo like CCI SV.

CCI Minimags might be a little rough on your conversion with an 8lb recoil spring.  I would recommend a 10lb spring for the minimags.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/13/2014, 1:49 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I've never oiled .22 cartridges. Never needed to. I believe it's not a good practice. Can cause hydraulic pressure in barrel between bullet and rifling. I know many shooters do it, but I don't. Over the years I've shot Ruger, Hammerli, Walther, Unique, Pardini, Marvel and whatever I've forgotten...all without oil on cartridge. ; p)
I agree 110%..
Also, there is a nano second during which time the case is or should be locked to the chamber wall.. oil inhibits this and increases bolt thrust..22 has a surprisingly high chamber pressure for its diminutive size.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 11/13/2014, 5:30 pm

In shooting 3 original Marvel Unit 1s and now an AA Bob Marvel Custom Pro I've learned this:

It is a myth that you can have a fitted .45 and shoot a conversion over it without some rework.

contributing issues are temperature of the range, availability of quality ammo, hammer spring weight, conversion recoil spring weight, metal removal on both the hammer and conversion disconnector slot. You give something to get something.

Best idea is build a dedicated lower for use with you conversion. They are all good.

Larry
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/13/2014, 6:47 pm

Ask Larry Nelson about the different chamber reamings they offer and how seasonal/available ammo choices might better work in each.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 11/13/2014, 7:08 pm

Jack H wrote:Ask Larry Nelson about the different chamber reamings they offer
This is an excellent point, as I have mentioned in other posts from time to time..Every cartridge is different. Eley is not the same as CCI or RWS .
So a tight Eley chamber is only going to work with Eley, but a generous CCI chamber may easily operate with Eley. Even the projectiles vary, and primer compound application is only consistent with Eley.
I have always said..Pick the ammo you want to shoot, and have the reamer ground to those "measured" specs. If you are really really serious Eley Red is the only choice.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/13/2014, 7:40 pm

I just phoned Larry Nelson myself.  Nelson barrels are offered in their "Bullseye" chamber as the best version.  And a "Match" version that is a little more generous for function of cheaper ammos.  They had a plinker chamber but nobody asked much for it.  Larry says the accuracy is not much different between the Bullseye and Match chambers.  (I hope I got all that right.)  Someday I will Ransom my four Nelson barrels.  Three are from Nelson with Bullseye chambers and one is the actual Bob Marvel Custom Pro II.  So far they all work great. 

And thank you to Larry Nelson for talking it out over the phone.  Larry  is a top notch guy.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down