Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything like a S&W 686 trigger?

2 posters

Go down

Anything like a S&W 686 trigger? Empty Anything like a S&W 686 trigger?

Post by beeser 12/16/2014, 7:45 pm

I used my S&W 686-4 again this afternoon and find myself still amazed by the trigger.  It has a slight drag (my way of putting it) before the hammer falls.  It's very consistent and predictable.  It's probably the best feeling trigger I've come across.  Is it possible to make a 1911 trigger react the same?  The Pardini SP, S&W 41 and S&W 52 triggers seemed lighter but I still like the feel of the S&W 686.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Anything like a S&W 686 trigger? Empty Re: Anything like a S&W 686 trigger?

Post by Jerry Keefer 12/17/2014, 10:21 pm

beeser wrote:I used my S&W 686-4 again this afternoon and find myself still amazed by the trigger.  It has a slight drag (my way of putting it) before the hammer falls.  It's very consistent and predictable.  It's probably the best feeling trigger I've come across.  Is it possible to make a 1911 trigger react the same?  The Pardini SP, S&W 41 and S&W 52 triggers seemed lighter but I still like the feel of the S&W 686.
No... I wrote this two todays ago, but for some reason the server kicked it back..?? Any way,  the 1911 trigger system is a far cry from a target pistol system, and is not and never will be. We just do the best we can with it. The S&W K/L fame revolvers have an engagement surface that is approx. .007/.008  It is an awesome single action trigger. ( That's why it's considered a sacrilege by many to attempt any work to the hammer engagement surface.)  The Model 52 has hammer hooks approx. .010/.012, half that of the 1911 target average, and the swing/pivot trigger/bar pulls the sear out of engagement. The trigger swings, as does the 41 and even the lowly Ruger can be made too exceed the 1911. The 41, 52, and HS along with most other target pistols have a trigger bar system which pulls the sear from engagement, opposed to the 1911 which pushes the sear out of engagement. That is one major difference that is difficult to overcome.Triggers that swing/pivot provide a mechanical advantage to the system.. The 1911 trigger simply pushes and offers zero mechanical advantage. Years ago, it was not uncommon to see a 1911 adapted to a swing trigger.. Not ideal, because the contact/push point was below the pivot point. The distance the sear tip is from the pivot pin, and the distance the trigger bar engages the surface below the pin, has an effect. The pistols you mention had some thought during the engineering phase toward good trigger geometry.. The 1911 simply is what it is.. Not a true target pistol.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down