WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by LateBoomer on 12/31/2014, 4:44 pm

Smile

LateBoomer

Posts : 40
Join date : 2014-05-05
Location : Central Ohio

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Rob Kovach on 12/31/2014, 7:57 pm

HAHAHA...
avatar
Rob Kovach
Admin

Posts : 2702
Join date : 2011-06-13
Age : 45
Location : Brooklyn, WI

Back to top Go down

Sel, Sell, Sell

Post by brassmaster on 1/2/2015, 12:15 pm

The bottom just dropped out of the .45, 230 grain bullet market!
avatar
brassmaster

Posts : 114
Join date : 2014-07-13
Location : Foothills of the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by dronning on 1/2/2015, 12:43 pm

brassmaster wrote:The bottom just dropped out of the .45, 230 grain bullet market!

The value of my Hardball gun too! Sad   Lucky I have never sold a gun in my life!

- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1913
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 65
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Sell Colt Stock, Buy Beretta & Glock Stocks

Post by brassmaster on 1/2/2015, 1:06 pm

Ball Gun Smiths, i.e., Les Bauer, et al. are going to take a hit and have to retool for the rush to buy/build accurized 9mms.

End of an era.
avatar
brassmaster

Posts : 114
Join date : 2014-07-13
Location : Foothills of the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Rob Kovach on 1/2/2015, 1:14 pm

I disagree.  This rule change makes the 1911 MORE competitive with the 9mm Beretta not less.  There will be more shooters who are looking to have a 45 that they can use for both CMP and the NRA 45 stage.

I think if the 9mm was the golden ticket we would have seen more people shooting that for the CF stage for years now.
avatar
Rob Kovach
Admin

Posts : 2702
Join date : 2011-06-13
Age : 45
Location : Brooklyn, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Jon Eulette on 1/2/2015, 1:24 pm

Since the demise of "real hardball", the .45 should really take off! You don't have to push it as fast as the 9mm to get good accuracy. A properly built 1911 .45 will have less recoil than the 9mm. The 9mm shoots like crap at slower velocities. As far as the 230 gr bullet issue, they shoot great slow! Many shooters don't realize that most ball guns only shot marginal because of poor barrel fit. The higher recoil magnifies a mediocre barrel fit. Bob Marvel regularly got sub 2" groups with hardball out of his pistols.
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 2178
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by DavidR on 1/2/2015, 2:29 pm

Every time you get things running like a well oiled machine, someone throws a wrench in it! lol!
avatar
DavidR
Admin

Posts : 3015
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 64
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Astroimage2002 on 1/2/2015, 3:56 pm

Hello All, 

I don't know what to say about the new "EIC" rules... Fools like me bought a special proposed gun and ammo just to shoot the EIC matches. Les Baer "Hardball" gun, Zero 230gr. bullets and Starline brass... Money spent to play the game is now worthless without reworking it to shoot a WAD round. 

I suck but I still shot EIC Matches so my betters could EARN their badge. Now I worry that the gun that I bought will be DQ'ed... Chances are that I will not shoot another "EIC" match.

Astroimage2002

Posts : 92
Join date : 2014-02-19
Location : Northern Indiana

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by DavidR on 1/2/2015, 4:13 pm

They didn't change any rule that will prohibit shooting a match as it was  prior to the rule changes they just expanded what is allowed. I never had a true pro built hardball gun that wouldn't shoot sub 3'' 50 yard groups with 230 ball ammo so I would only change to a 185 to be on a level playing field with my competitors and  if I was serious about earning points, but if that doesn't sit well then why not continue on as you did and have the satisfaction of knowing if you do leg out you did it
in the true spirit of the game.
avatar
DavidR
Admin

Posts : 3015
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 64
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Astroimage2002 on 1/2/2015, 4:19 pm

okay, that justifies the thousands that I have spent to play the EIC game

Astroimage2002

Posts : 92
Join date : 2014-02-19
Location : Northern Indiana

Back to top Go down

I Disagree With You Rob

Post by brassmaster on 1/2/2015, 6:01 pm

Well I disagree with you Rob! Most BE shooters have 4 dedicated guns: .22, CF (typically .45) and .45 Wad Gun and Ball Gun. The majority of wad guns have a red dot sittin' on top of them. So you are telling me that after the .45 match, the competitor is going to take the red dot off and shoot iron? And then, after the Ball Match, put the red dot back on and sight the gun back in for the next match?
And, using your premise, a smart competitor would use two different types of ammo--  loads for wad and FMJ. Seems like a lot of hassle to me.  You said "...I think if the 9mm was the golden ticket we would have seen more people shooting that for the CF stage for years now." Imo, the reason that more 9s were not on the line can be attributed to the purists, which, fortunately, we are still in the majority, if only temporarily, given the rule changes. Secondly, smithies accurizing 9s for Bullseye were few and far between and expensive, whereas good .45 ball guns, new or used were readily available at a reasonable cost. And, someone with reasonable mechanical skills could build a 45 ball gun in their basement. it might not hold a 3" group at 50 yards, but it was still competitive and would shoot better than the person behind it. But, given the difficulty of mastering the ball gun with 230 grain FMJ under a stiff load vs the 9, there WILL be many more 9s on the line with sneeze loads and .45 ball guns will go the way of the buffalo and will produce a buyers' market.
And finally, I've seen you shoot the M-9 Rob, stick with the ball gun. Ha, ha.
avatar
brassmaster

Posts : 114
Join date : 2014-07-13
Location : Foothills of the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by JIMPGOV on 1/2/2015, 6:55 pm

YOU KNOW. I HAVE PLENTY OF OTHER MATCH GUNS THAT I COULD NOW USE. BUT I DO HAVE A RRA BALL GUN AND A TONY KIDD BERETTA. IN THE RUSH OF THE RULE CHANGE I WAS THINKING , I'LL SHOOT THIS. NO WAIT A MINUTE I'LL SHOOT THAT,ECT,ECT. WELL I'LL JUST RE-SPRING MY RRA .45 HARDBALL GUN AND SHOOT THE NEWLY ALLOWED AMMO. I DON'T NEED A THING. I'VE GOT PLENTY OF .45 185 GR MATCH AND LOADS OF THE 185 GR JHP LOADED WITH VV310. I'M GOOD TO GO.

JUST RESPRING YOUR BALLGUN FOR THE NEW AMMO AND FIRE AWAY. JP

JIMPGOV

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Rob Kovach on 1/3/2015, 10:27 pm

HAHA brassmaster...I almost won that SAFS match the following year!  I didn't have you there distracting me!

I do take my optic on and off of my ball/wad gun....It's so much more fun shooting irons only anyway.
avatar
Rob Kovach
Admin

Posts : 2702
Join date : 2011-06-13
Age : 45
Location : Brooklyn, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by gitkrunk on 1/4/2015, 2:52 am

soo are we for for sure on these run changes?? Nothing is in stone yet with the official rules not being printed.   Not to jack your thread... but i will using my hardball/nra wad gun with iron sights like i have before but now with 185 jhp if they are allowed. 

GL on the trade Rob... nad JIMPGOV stop yelling at me through the computer =[



chris
avatar
gitkrunk

Posts : 163
Join date : 2013-01-01
Age : 32
Location : Anchorage,AK

Back to top Go down

Tap Out--Rob

Post by brassmaster on 1/4/2015, 9:45 am

Rob Kovach wrote:HAHA brassmaster...I almost won that SAFS match the following year!  I didn't have you there distracting me!

I do take my optic on and off of my ball/wad gun....It's so much more fun shooting irons only anyway.

Great comeback Rob---you hit a home run with that one!
avatar
brassmaster

Posts : 114
Join date : 2014-07-13
Location : Foothills of the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by DavidR on 1/5/2015, 10:54 am

brassmaster wrote:Well I disagree with you Rob! Most BE shooters have 4 dedicated guns: .22, CF (typically .45) and .45 Wad Gun and Ball Gun.
The truth is most anybody serious about bullseye has only 2 or 3, a 22, a 45 wad and maybe a ball gun. Anybody serious about bullseye has already figured out or will soon that shooting a different gun for CF is counter productive to moving up in the game.
avatar
DavidR
Admin

Posts : 3015
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 64
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by LenV on 1/5/2015, 1:06 pm

DavidR wrote:
brassmaster wrote:Well I disagree with you Rob! Most BE shooters have 4 dedicated guns: .22, CF (typically .45) and .45 Wad Gun and Ball Gun.
The truth is most anybody serious about bullseye has only 2 or 3, a 22, a 45 wad and maybe a ball gun. Anybody serious about bullseye has already figured out or will soon that shooting a different gun for CF is counter productive to moving up in the game.

 Well, I have a slightly different opinion. I think the very minimum pistols that a serious (spelled OCD) BE shooter would have is 7 with an option for 8 or 9.
  1. 22 w/dot
  2. CF w/dot. This pistol could be a 45 for the 45 match
  3. Hardball pistol   
  4. Dist 22 pistol dedicated wo/dot
  5. DS Revolver
  6. Harry Reeves revolver  w/dot    (you could use the DSR pistol but you would lose points)
  7. 22 for Production class  (model 17?)

  8. Optional, Dedicated CF pistol for 2700 not in 45 (model 52,952,RO etc)
  9. Optional 45 for Production class. This may not be optional if you don't have a wheel gun in 45

The new "steel" category is completely covered with your Dist pistols. I think 7 would be the minimum without stripping dots and re-zeroing between matches. But that is just my personal opinion. I will probably go with the 9 gun option.

Len
avatar
LenV

Posts : 3218
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 68
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by gitkrunk on 1/6/2015, 5:37 pm

i think you only need 3

22 pistol iron sites
45 pistol iron sites
k38 iron sites
avatar
gitkrunk

Posts : 163
Join date : 2013-01-01
Age : 32
Location : Anchorage,AK

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by LenV on 1/6/2015, 7:17 pm

Well, I suppose if your going to go with the bare bare minimum to shoot Open, Steel, Production, 22 EIC, EIC and DSR you could go with 3 pistols. A SA/DA 22, K38 and a SA/DA 45 from the new list. All with steel sights. I guess I would never want my wife to figure that out. She still thinks I need 9 with some backups just in case.

Len Very Happy
avatar
LenV

Posts : 3218
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 68
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by gitkrunk on 1/6/2015, 7:21 pm

hopefully she never sells your guns for what you told her you paid for them, not what they are worth =]
avatar
gitkrunk

Posts : 163
Join date : 2013-01-01
Age : 32
Location : Anchorage,AK

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by 641 on 1/9/2015, 7:59 pm

As I have 10,000+ 230gr FMJ Zero bullets on hand I can only conclude that the practice of shooting them will make me a better challenger for the Distinguished Badge, over the newly adopted shooters,...

641

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-09-28
Location : Sinus Valley, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Rob Kovach on 1/9/2015, 8:03 pm

641 wrote:As I have 10,000+ 230gr FMJ Zero bullets on hand I can only conclude that the practice of shooting them will make me a better challenger for the Distinguished Badge, over the newly adopted shooters,...
Hell yes!
avatar
Rob Kovach
Admin

Posts : 2702
Join date : 2011-06-13
Age : 45
Location : Brooklyn, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Guest on 7/23/2017, 6:42 am

LenV wrote:
DavidR wrote:
brassmaster wrote:Well I disagree with you Rob! Most BE shooters have 4 dedicated guns: .22, CF (typically .45) and .45 Wad Gun and Ball Gun.
The truth is most anybody serious about bullseye has only 2 or 3, a 22, a 45 wad and maybe a ball gun. Anybody serious about bullseye has already figured out or will soon that shooting a different gun for CF is counter productive to moving up in the game.

 Well, I have a slightly different opinion. I think the very minimum pistols that a serious (spelled OCD) BE shooter would have is 7 with an option for 8 or 9.
  1. 22 w/dot
  2. CF w/dot. This pistol could be a 45 for the 45 match
  3. Hardball pistol   
  4. Dist 22 pistol dedicated wo/dot
  5. DS Revolver
  6. Harry Reeves revolver  w/dot    (you could use the DSR pistol but you would lose points)
  7. 22 for Production class  (model 17?)

  8. Optional, Dedicated CF pistol for 2700 not in 45 (model 52,952,RO etc)
  9. Optional 45 for Production class. This may not be optional if you don't have a wheel gun in 45

The new "steel" category is completely covered with your Dist pistols. I think 7 would be the minimum without stripping dots and re-zeroing between matches. But that is just my personal opinion. I will probably go with the 9 gun option.

Len
1. 22 w/dot
2. CF w/dot. This pistol could be a 45 for the 45 match
3. Hardball pistol


Does this indicate that one could use a .45 for both the centerfire and dedicated .45 service pistol sections of a competition?
I was hoping to use equipment that I have already collected. I have a Glock 34, (9mm,) a Glock 41, (.45,) and also an S&W Victory , (.22.)
I did a search of the forum for "Glock" and it returned few results. iF Glocks aren't allowed, I need to look for a 1911.


Thanks in advance for your wisdom.


If one can use the .45 for both centerfire and service pistol, it makes sense to use the savings from buying only one gun on the different types of ammunition; one being hardball. What are the parameters for the "hardball" designation?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Chris Miceli on 7/23/2017, 7:54 am

wesleytilson@gmail.com wrote:
LenV wrote:
DavidR wrote:
brassmaster wrote:Well I disagree with you Rob! Most BE shooters have 4 dedicated guns: .22, CF (typically .45) and .45 Wad Gun and Ball Gun.
The truth is most anybody serious about bullseye has only 2 or 3, a 22, a 45 wad and maybe a ball gun. Anybody serious about bullseye has already figured out or will soon that shooting a different gun for CF is counter productive to moving up in the game.

 Well, I have a slightly different opinion. I think the very minimum pistols that a serious (spelled OCD) BE shooter would have is 7 with an option for 8 or 9.
  1. 22 w/dot
  2. CF w/dot. This pistol could be a 45 for the 45 match
  3. Hardball pistol   
  4. Dist 22 pistol dedicated wo/dot
  5. DS Revolver
  6. Harry Reeves revolver  w/dot    (you could use the DSR pistol but you would lose points)
  7. 22 for Production class  (model 17?)

  8. Optional, Dedicated CF pistol for 2700 not in 45 (model 52,952,RO etc)
  9. Optional 45 for Production class. This may not be optional if you don't have a wheel gun in 45

The new "steel" category is completely covered with your Dist pistols. I think 7 would be the minimum without stripping dots and re-zeroing between matches. But that is just my personal opinion. I will probably go with the 9 gun option.

Len
1. 22 w/dot
2. CF w/dot. This pistol could be a 45 for the 45 match
3. Hardball pistol


Does this indicate that one could use a .45 for both the centerfire and dedicated .45 service pistol sections of a competition?
I was hoping to use equipment that I have already collected. I have a Glock 34, (9mm,) a Glock 41, (.45,) and also an S&W Victory , (.22.)
I did a search of the forum for "Glock" and it returned few results. iF Glocks aren't allowed, I need to look for a 1911.


Thanks in advance for your wisdom.


If one can use the .45 for both centerfire and service pistol, it makes sense to use the savings from buying only one gun on the different types of ammunition; one being hardball. What are the parameters for the "hardball" designation?
yes you could use your iron sight service pistol 45 for the CF portion of a 2700 as well as the 45 portion. If you want to use your Glock for CF or 45 portion of the 2700 go for it. The Glock for CMP Service pistol must be on the CMP list.  Guns on the CMP EIC list will most likely be allowed in NRA State Service pistol matches (unless the match director lists other rules)

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPApprovedServicePistols.pdf
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2669
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: WTT: Zero 230gr FMJ Bullets for 185gr JSWC

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum