Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you get started in Bullseye?

+24
Joe L
scrum derringer
LateBoomer
Rob9mmshooter
sklarcpa
Colt711
DonBrummer
farmboy
gitkrunk
TexasShooter
rfmiller
Dockokol
LenV
Ghillieman
Rob Kovach
BE Mike
dronning
jmdavis
DavidR
s1120
Jack H
kwixdraw
john bickar
Russ OR
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How did you get started in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty How did you get started in Bullseye?

Post by Russ OR Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 am

First topic message reminder :

In seeking to get more people into Bullseye it might help to remember how each of us got started.
I think there are just enough Bullseye shooters out there (they just don't know it yet) to keep our sport strong.

I got my 1st gun at 53?. I'd go to a commercial range & shoot at 7 yards.-Then I happened across a magazine article about Bullseye. The article rang my bell & I thought I would find out more. With no computer it was a real quest to find the sport. Area gun shops were clueless.-Finally a tiny magazine add about a match 125 mile south. A call-and I was put in touch with a local club (my club now) http://www.tcgc.org/  that had matches.
I think I was hooked on Bullseye after that magazine article. Still hooked at 70.- Love the sport. - Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

How did you get started in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did you get started in Bullseye?

Post by TexasShooter Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

LateBoomer wrote:I saw a plaque on the wall of my local range with the names of shooters who cleaned a target.  I really wanted my name up there.

That's a great idea! I have our range records going back to the 1960's - it's in the plans to do a bulletin board with those but I really like the idea of the plaque. Opens the door for recognition for a lot more shooters, even if they aren't high masters or record setters...

Thanks!
Clay

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

How did you get started in Bullseye? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did you get started in Bullseye?

Post by john bickar Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm

TexasShooter wrote:
LateBoomer wrote:I saw a plaque on the wall of my local range with the names of shooters who cleaned a target.  I really wanted my name up there.

That's a great idea! I have our range records going back to the 1960's - it's in the plans to do a bulletin board with those but I really like the idea of the plaque. Opens the door for recognition for a lot more shooters, even if they aren't high masters or record setters...
That is a very good point. We should do something like this at my current club(s).

When I was a wee lad, before I even started shooting, I can remember looking at the plaques on the wall at the Canton McKinley Rifle and Pistol Club. There were plaques for club members who were Distinguished and 2600 Club. My dad and my uncle were on both, so I just kind of thought it was what grown men did.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:45 pm

5 years ago I was at my wife's company outing at the Brewers game. Her co-worker's husband was a Lt at a local PD and we were talking shop. I had been in an officer involved shooting about 6 month earlier, where I wasn't too happy with the outcome, even though good guys won and bad guy dead. His Pd also had a an OIS that summer where 2 officers were shot, and recovered, and we discussed the importance of shooting well. He was also the current president at that time of a "historic" protective service bullseye league that started after WW II in the Milwaukee area. Needless to say, I joined. shot a revolver for while, shot a Glock, scored a 40/300. I was hooked. eventually bought a 1911 and got better over 2 years. I then happened to attend a local BE clinic thinking it would make me better, but it was just an intro class. Met great people there and got pulled into an outdoor match. That's where the obsession became real bad. It also calmed me down.

Fast forward 2 years, won that league, been president for it for the past two season, created a brand new league at a brand new indoor range, have year round calluses on my shooting hand. Think about it everyday.

I have found that growing the sport is inviting/pushing people in. The 70+gun league I started has a majority of new to bullseye shooters and they are loving it.... so far. Most of them I encouraged to come and try the league out. I remember knowing that there were big outdoor matches but never attempted them because I didn't know anyone or know what I was doing. It was the help of friendly shooters that brought me in.
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:10 am

I hadn't shot a pistol from childhood until I was over 60.  Went to the range with a good friend who let me shoot his semi-auto centerfire guns.  What a hoot!  Joined the local club, borrowed a Sig P239 and two magazines and entered an IDPA club match.  Shot those for a couple of years, then got interested in other disciplines, bought the token bolt gun in .308, an AR-15, a revolver, a 1911, just so that I could learn to shoot the typical range of guns.  Loved the riflle at 500 yards, loved shooting steel at 50 with the 1911. 

IDPA matches were fun, but too much time idle time for me.  Matches were long and I don't follow rules well.  Middle of the pack IDPA shooter--accurate but slow. 

Then Texas Shooter said he was going to start up monthly bullseye matches in Jan 2014.  I didn't even know what the courses of fire were or what gun/sight/ammo was required.  Studied.  Set up what I had for the matches and only missed two matches out of 11 in 2014.  Love the format, love the equipment, love the mental challenge, love the people that show up, AND, generally, I can follow the rules!  But I have to check my math.  Bullseye suits my temperament and capabilities better than games.

Looking forward to the second year in bullseye, and to helping new shooters on their learning curves. 

Texas Shooter is a gentleman and a scholar, by the way. 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:28 am

Took my CCW class in 2008.  Hadn't shot a firearm but a couple of times in 20 years.  One of the instructors invited my wife and and I to his bullseye league, if we were interested in improving our marksmanship skills.  He borrowed us his Rugers.  All the range commands, procedure and shooting were very familiar to me; this is how I was taught to shoot when I was a boy and young teenager.  I just thought this was how people shot guns at the range; I didn't equate it to "Bullseye shooting".  I called up Dad and he still had all his equipment, and plus tons of advise. I shot a few more matches and was hooked.  I first went to Perry in 2011; I drove from NC, Dad sailed in from Detroit.  Hanging out with Dad and my friends at Perry is one of my most cherished memories.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Starting hunting and shooting with my Grandfather and Uncle Ronnie.  Always loved shooting.

My buddy Bill introduced me to shooting handgun at steel targets, chickens, pigs rams etc...  I borrowed his Ruger 357 and shot out to 200 yards with it.
Got married had kids.  Got away from shooting and only hunted with Pop and Uncle Ronnie first day of deer season.

When I was in my mid-30’s and working at a local Dana Plant here in PA as a contractor, met a bunch of guys from 3rd shift who invited me to shoot Bullseye at Leni Lenape Club here in SE PA.  I could not hit %$%$$ during my first year.  I shot two revolvers model 17 and model 14.  Eventually bought model 625 and shot it most of time.  Also, I experimented with many .22’s from model 41 to some of the first Marvel conversions. 
One machinist from Dana (Marine) coached a bunch of us guys from 3rd shift on shooting pistols every week in the morning on Wednesday from March through October.  He gave us all Army Marksmenship Manuals and had us read them. He worked with each of us until we got off to a good start.
I took a hiatus from the sport as money got tight (long story).
I went back this past summer to my old club.  My buddy is still helping newbies 15+ years later.  He mounted my dot on my Springfield 45 stainless even though I bought it against his suggestion of buying a blued gun.  He is a great ambassador for the sport and a good friend.

As many others have said over and over again, it really helps to have the personal touch to bring and keep folks in the sport who have an affinity for shooting pistols well.  It is very true in my case.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:21 am

Hey, My name is on that plaque....
How did I get started?  Same place but they had the "league" name and scores posted on a wall at the shop.  Thought to myself, I think I can shoot that well.  So came and tried it out.  Never looked back.  Perry was a bucket list thing.  Loved it and have gone every year since 2007
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick C Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 am

I'm 33, and have been shooting Precision Pistol for about a year. I was familiar with Olympic shooting thanks to TV, and thought it might be fun, but I had never heard of Bullseye.

While looking for information on red dots, I found the Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol, and started reading. I followed a few links online, found a local club with a Bullseye 900 league, emailed the director, got invited out, and have been shooting since.

Since then, I've met many fantastic people who have been generous with time and advice. It makes a huge difference to people like me who are new to the sport. This is a great forum - thanks to everyone who posts.

Patrick C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2