Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pics of my skill level at this point ...

+6
mspingeld
Rob Kovach
BE Mike
knightimac
james r chapman
beeser
10 posters

Go down

Pics of my skill level at this point ... Empty Pics of my skill level at this point ...

Post by beeser 2/5/2015, 4:55 pm

All of you are probably more capable shooters than me but here it is.  I've done better but this is an honest depiction of my skill level at this point.  The first pic is using a a S&W 686.  The last one is with a .45 Range Officer.  All are off hand at 25 yds. using iron sights.  When I first started about 6 months ago I could barely hit the 2'x2' backerboard from 25 ft.  Later I was able to at least consistently hit the NRA target area from 25' then to 25 yds.  Now I'm able to consistently find black at 25 yds. and to a lesser extent at 50 yds.  Before all of this I never even owned a handgun or any gun much before that.  The best news, which the targets show is the absence of lower left hits caused by jerking the trigger in anticipation of recoil.  I'd like to say that affliction is cured.  

Pics of my skill level at this point ... Target001

Pics of my skill level at this point ... Target004

beeser

Back to top Go down

Pics of my skill level at this point ... Empty Re: Pics of my skill level at this point ...

Post by james r chapman 2/5/2015, 5:14 pm

Nicely done, in the black is always a nice goal..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pics of my skill level at this point ... Empty Re: Pics of my skill level at this point ...

Post by knightimac 2/5/2015, 5:27 pm

Nice shooting Beezer way to go!
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/5/2015, 5:42 pm

I think you have the idea. The plan is to keep shrinking the groups. Don't forget to train for sustained fire.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 2/5/2015, 6:15 pm

When is your next match?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 2/6/2015, 8:37 am

Rob Kovach wrote:When is your next match?
My FIRST match should be fairly soon.  There are a few things more I want to work on beforehand but at least I'm finally feeling comfortable enough to participate in one.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 2/6/2015, 5:52 pm

Good.  There are things you can't replicate in training that you can only experience in a match.  Don't wait any longer as those experiences are EXTREMELY important parts of your journey.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/7/2015, 8:40 am

When I first started shooting bullseye (more years ago than I like to remember) I was only shooting the .22 match because that's all I could afford. Having little talent and no formal training, it was not uncommon for me to shoot a 49 or 50 slow fire at my first couple of matches. I made a shooting bag out of a camera case by stuffing it with foam rubber. I had a cheap K Mart scope. My pride and joy was a stock Ruger Mark I. Nobody snickered or made disparaging remarks. As a matter of fact, I remember a military shooter giving me a partial box of .22 ammo. I fondly remember that at the match in Eustis, FL, the targets were turned by someone manually moving a large lever. The matches didn't begin until 1 p.m. due to being close to a church.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 2/7/2015, 9:16 am

Beezer, I think you and I started shooting around the same time. I've done a few matches, not great scores, some better than others but...ditto what Rob said, sign up for a match! Don't worry about score, just do it! It will advance your training in ways that the range just can't.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L 2/7/2015, 3:45 pm

Beeser--I 6-8 months ahead of you, but I think you are doing really well on the learning curve.  We didn't have our club matches set up for 50 yard slow fire until November of 2014, so I'm still working at it. 

I, too, got a lot of really good advice from the members of this forum.  I didn't always follow it, however, LOL. 

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful and supportive the other shooters will be when you go a match.  The worst thing you can do, in my opinion, is worry too much about your score.  My suggestion--be very careful where you point the muzzle of your gun, be sure and take a chamber flag, stapler, etc.  Learn the range commands before you go. 

I mention the muzzle pointing because that seems to be a common problem with new shooters that haven't been shooting with other people on the line next to them.  My hope is that there are several new shooters each time you go to a match, as that means the sport is growing. 

I didn't shoot as well in a match as I did in practice until I had a half dozen matches under my belt and was confident that I knew the sequences, the schedule, the other shooters, and my equipment.  It was still a lot of fun.  Just do it. 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 2/15/2015, 11:37 am

Rob Kovach wrote:Good.  There are things you can't replicate in training that you can only experience in a match.  Don't wait any longer as those experiences are EXTREMELY important parts of your journey.
Is the range command after a TF/RF string:

"Any saved rounds on the left?"

I still haven't been to a BE match, but that is what I remember from HP.

From my experience, goal #1 is to get points on EVERY shot. Took a few matches to get there (even in smallbore rifle, standing was way tough at first).

Goal #2 was no saved rounds. Only when you have met both goals three times will you then be allowed to be even a little bit embarrassed when you save a round. WHEN. It's a rare shooter who never, ever does that.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 2/18/2015, 12:58 pm

beeser wrote:
Rob Kovach wrote:When is your next match?
My FIRST match should be fairly soon.  There are a few things more I want to work on beforehand but at least I'm finally feeling comfortable enough to participate in one.

You gotta jump in. I did my first last fall, and I was far from great. But no one said anything negative at all, and I got many tips. I had trained for a few months, but found I was still a little bit like a fish out of water. But you know...  I made it through and learned a LOT! Do I wish I shot better? Oh ya!!  but do I wish I had waited till I could?  No way!!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/18/2015, 1:30 pm

The # 1 goal is not to get every shot off, but to make sure every shot you get off is a safe one.

Take your time, listen to the commands, think, and be safe. Everyone will wait as long as it takes if you have any issues or questions. It's Bullseye, we ain't in a big hurry.

If you feel rushed, just take a breath and raise you hand. The RO or the guys beside you will help.

Have fun!

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down