Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blank target point of aim?

+16
Motorcycle_dan
dronning
rreid
Rob Kovach
Ed Hall
TexasShooter
Jack H
kczerwin
jmdavis
Tom Jadlos
mspingeld
CR10X
john bickar
BE Mike
SMBeyer
beeser
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Blank target point of aim? - Page 3 Empty Blank target point of aim?

Post by beeser 2/7/2015, 10:08 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm a little confused, what is your point of aim on a blank target?  This has to do with the first exercise out of the USMC Pistol Team Workbook where it is instructing you to shoot at a blank target to establish a maximum group size.  If there's no reference point or POA then how do you maintain a group?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Blank target point of aim? - Page 3 Empty Re: Blank target point of aim?

Post by jmdavis 2/22/2015, 2:40 pm

Ed, 

I have been getting some Rifle coaching from Alex Arrietta (USMC Ret. Double Dist.). One of the the things that we work on in dryfire is to dryfire for offhand at the blank target (white wall, etc) as well. There is no doubt in my mind that it helps trigger control.  Another is to build up to more good shots than we would shoot in a match. Practicing keeping focused for 20+ shots. 

I'm a pistol beginner and my best sustained fires are 95's and 190's. But to do that I have had to learn to accept my aiming area and focus on the front sight while being smooth on the trigger.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 2/23/2015, 9:15 pm

I gave up on the center hold when shooting service rifle. It was too difficult *for me* to keep a consistent vertical placement, and the targets told that story in no uncertain terms. Line of white is what worked for me.

Over the years, zeroing to have the bullet impact at the apex of an imaginary equilateral triangle with the top of the front sight as its lower leg has served me quite well. Among other things, it avoids obscuring the lower half of the target.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 3/8/2015, 3:17 pm

Well I gave it a shot today. I think I am starting to see its advantages. I was trying some new things today. Working on my hold, trigger pull, and shot process, and having that blank target ( I used paper plates) let me focus on what was going on with the shooter/firearm. Not where the shots were going. And without trying the groups got tighter as I went along.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3