Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel.

+2
knightimac
LenV
6 posters

Go down

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. Empty Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel.

Post by LenV 2/15/2015, 6:29 pm

As I was shooting/playing with my 92A1 yesterday the first thing I did was remove the laser from the pistol. After shooting it for about 30 minutes my old eyes were really having trouble focusing. I couldn't help but think about how much easier it would be if the rail was mounted on top. I know there have to be a lot of adapters for Picatinny rails but I am having trouble finding the right adapters. If anyone knows where to find such a critter I would appreciate a heads up. It would probably work for almost all pistols with a rail.

Thanks, Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. Empty Re: Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel.

Post by knightimac 2/16/2015, 10:00 am

Hi

I have one mount from UM Tactical which goes underneath the barrel.  I have only used it on polymer framed guns (Glock and XD).  It is OK.

Some issues with not holding zero with these plastic frame wonders.  It may be better for steel frame gun however.

It is a mixed bag for me on how it has performed for me.  Still playing with it.

$90+.

Paul
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. Empty Re: Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel.

Post by LenV 2/16/2015, 10:05 am

I have contacted Optics planet about this Aimtech mount but they have no answer if it mounts to a rail. It looks like it does. They have a very similar mount for a H&K that specifically says it mounts on the rail. I will probably contact them tomorrow.  Thanks for your response. This is a model APM-9

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. Opplanet-aimtech-semi-auto-pistol-mount-for-beretta-taurus-92-99-apm-9

Last edited by OldMaster65 on 2/16/2015, 10:09 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added model number)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/16/2015, 10:19 am

There MAY be a slight wrinkle with the H&k mount.  I think the rail may be an HK exclusve profile.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/16/2015, 10:47 am

I can see that. If the 3 screws don't line up with the Beretta rail it would be a no go.

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. Th?&id=HN.607993367571334483&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer 2/16/2015, 12:07 pm

This could possibly fit width wise, from Fusion Firearms:

Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. ScopeMount3
Mounting a dot to a rail that is under the barrel. ScopeMNT-3-1
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/16/2015, 3:39 pm

That's nice looking. Wide enough for a lot of different pistols. Thanks

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/16/2015, 6:14 pm

Scrum Derringer,

Bob Serva does not make anything easy to find. I was not able to find that mount. If you have an exact description or a link I would appreciate it.

All,

The link at Optics Planet for the first mount I found lists the mount I have shown above and describes it as fitting a Beretta 92 and others. However, I found a review/rant about the mount and you do not get the mount shown if you order it. What you do get is a mount that replaces the grip on the right side. That would certainly match the written description but the picture is way off.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/aimtech-semi-auto-pistol-mount-for-beretta-taurus-92-99.html
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer 2/16/2015, 6:36 pm

Sorry about that, it appears that they have changed their website...and no longer offer it. You may have to contact Bob and see whats up. This is the thread from the 1911 forum where he announce it being available back in 08,  Fusion Hunter scope mount
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/16/2015, 6:43 pm

The picture on the Opticsplanet site is not that of the APM-9. It is a stock photo from Aimtech of the APM-28. There are pictures of the APM-9 on the TaurusArmed forum and also on Midway and Brownells.

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/16/2015, 6:57 pm

Proly a mute point at this time; but looking at my USP, the accessory rail is not at all like a weaver or picatinny.
There is also no cross bolt slot.

Dead end
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/16/2015, 7:03 pm

Wile E Coyote,

Thanks, I pretty much had all of that figured out finally (slow today). I found the APM-9 discontinued at Midway and available At Brownells. I will continue to try to find one that has lots of clearance and mounts on the rail. I have several pistols with rails and was hoping to find one that would fit a variety of pistols. Now I will be looking at the APM-28 and seeing if I can find dimensions for it. I think it is weird that Aimtech uses a picture of a rail mount as a generic for a grip mount.

Len   Thanks Scrum and Steve
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/16/2015, 11:43 pm

Another dead end street. No one has the APM-28 in stock. Well possibly someone does but they sure aren't putting the info out anywhere. I may have to fire up the plasma cutter and get creative in the shop. If I start with a section of SS tubing all I have to do is cut out the pieces that don't look like a scope mount. Rolling Eyes
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by markj 2/17/2015, 5:37 pm

How  about this one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O6CDV0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005ODCUVK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZZCQCDY9YCQNE40VDFK

I don't know if its any good, never seen one in person,  but Ive thought about getting one for a railed 1911 I have that is quite accurate.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/17/2015, 7:54 pm

Thanks markj. I have been all over Amazon and didn't find that mount. I have it earmarked now. I will have to check one out.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 2/17/2015, 7:57 pm

this is the very thing I have been wanting to try and wondering has any one tried this on a wad gun, I have been looking to get a rail gun and thinking if I had one this type of mount would be the way to go. that one from fusion looks like the way to go. I have never seen one on the line at a match.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/17/2015, 8:48 pm

The mount that KnightMac mentioned looks like it is very well made. I am not to sure about the knob on top making it all tight. But it looks well made and would fit any slot pattern.

http://www.umtactical.com/    Some interesting videos also. I notice the knob is actually the ring screw.

It even has a list here of pistols it will fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UM-Tactical-Pistol-Optic-Mount-/251842749721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa2ff6519
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down