Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect

+7
Bullshooter
Jon Eulette
Froneck
farmboy
DavidR
kc.crawford.7
chiltech500
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect - Page 2 Empty Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect

Post by chiltech500 3/29/2015, 5:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

I have restructured a wad gun which had an aluminum frame mount and used an ultra light Burris reflex sight - switched to a full length rib and an Ultradot. The rib and Ultradot on the slide make for a pretty heavy slide - the rib weighed more than I expected because it's made of steel vs aluminum.

Naturally I'm shooting lighter loads; to give an idea with a 200gr LSWC: VV310 4.0 gr. was my favorite for 1911's.

But need to figure out a 1911 load for WST  - was using 4.0-4.2g  WST based on work ups on two 45acp revolvers.  Have not accuracy tested those loads on my Baer wad gun yet, because I just started shooting it again -  have WST 4.2 and 4.5 to try out for starters.

Using current loads as listed above can folks give me ideas of what they would use for a recoil spring weight. My current spring is 16 lbs but it's worn down.

Thanks

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect - Page 2 Empty Re: Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect

Post by Froneck 4/5/2015, 12:09 am

Because the AMU buys so much ammo vendors like Atlanta Arms will custom load for them. They have been buying ammo made to their specifications. In the few previous years they had two 45acp loads made with hollow point bullets. A light load for the short line and a Little heavier load for the long line. It was done to lessen recoil and to eliminate sight changes between 25 and 50 yards. As we write they are testing lighter 9mm hollow point loads for the 9mm because of this years rule change.
 However this year they eliminated the lighter charge for the 45acp due to the heavy new Aimpoint scope they are using. The scope I understand is designed for rifle but my son has just told me he's quite impressed with it.
 I did mention the new frame mounts have overcome the problems they had in the past. Better means of attachment either by welding as the AMU did it, silver soldering and multiple screw method. All are well attached. However none use Aluminum yet just about all slide mounts are! Must be a reason why the aluminum works on the slide but would not on the frame.
 As to my personal choice, First let me say I do not want to shoot hand cannons! I don't find shooting heavy recoil pistols enjoyable. However I load what ever powder charge gives me the best accuracy. I adjust my gun to shoot what ever load I developed for best accuracy. I have the needed equipment to attach a frame mount so that it will never move, I tried frame mount and don't like it. There is a distinct difference between the shooting characteristics between the slide mound and frame mount. I personally like slide mount.

Walt: I assume there is some recoil or movement prior the bullet exiting the barrel. The hammer striking the primer, The build up of pressure causing the cartridge to force itself against the slide until the pressure swells the case and volume of air exiting the barrel. The major amount of recoil occurs when the bullet exits the barrel, if not the slide will unlock and the case head will be blown off due to the pressure. If recoil began when the bullet started to accelerate accurate shooting would be impossible. Take you average water hose, turn on the water, the hose may stiffen due to the pressure but it's the end that will whip around. Move that up to a fire hose, the same volume of water flows thru the entire hose but it's at the end where the water exits the hose that a firefighter or two need to firmly hold onto the hose. Recoil occurs at separation.

Last edited by Froneck on 4/5/2015, 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect - Page 2 Empty Re: Understanding Recoil Spring Weight and Effect

Post by Froneck 4/5/2015, 8:19 am

chiltech500 wrote:Hello,

I have restructured a wad gun which had an aluminum frame mount and used an ultra light Burris reflex sight - switched to a full length rib and an Ultradot. The rib and Ultradot on the slide make for a pretty heavy slide - the rib weighed more than I expected because it's made of steel vs aluminum.

Naturally I'm shooting lighter loads; to give an idea with a 200gr LSWC: VV310 4.0 gr. was my favorite for 1911's.

But need to figure out a 1911 load for WST  - was using 4.0-4.2g  WST based on work ups on two 45acp revolvers.  Have not accuracy tested those loads on my Baer wad gun yet, because I just started shooting it again -  have WST 4.2 and 4.5 to try out for starters.

Using current loads as listed above can folks give me ideas of what they would use for a recoil spring weight. My current spring is 16 lbs but it's worn down.

Thanks
What your requesting and getting back to your topic is that there is no simple solution. Bullet weight and amount of a particular power do not equate to a spring weight requirement. There are quite a number if other factors that must be considered. Link length, slide weight, hammer spring weight, Slide to hammer engagement, your grip and body mass and a number of other factors that will combine to determine optimum recoil spring weight. To repeat a previous reply, I start by increasing spring weight and loading the gun with one round in the mag. I shoot until the slide will not lock back. I now know I've exceeded maximum. If it is lighter than I consider good than I make other changes so as to increase max. spring weight to insure good lock-up

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2