Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air pistol recommendations?

+8
BE Mike
dstates
dronning
robert84010
C.Perkins
jmdavis
DavidR
beeser
12 posters

Go down

Air pistol recommendations? Empty Air pistol recommendations?

Post by beeser Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Apparently my question in the Fundamentals section about whether an air pistol would help improve my firearm pistol performance met with favor.  So, the next logical question is what air pistol to get.  Any suggestions?  I would like to keep the cost down below $1k if possible.

Edit:  Just poking around the internet and was surprised to find air pistols with magazines holding 5 shots.  Cool!

beeser

Back to top Go down

Air pistol recommendations? Empty Re: Air pistol recommendations?

Post by DavidR Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:41 pm

ok sorry didn't see the price cap, izh46 single shot single pump will run about 500.00 for lightly used, many use these, but if you want the best look for the steyr below. It will hold its value too.
Great choice cause its a 5 shot, but not cheap, Steyr LP50, I know several 2600+ shooters who use this to train with.
http://www.pilkguns.com/worldclassap.shtml
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:47 pm

DavidR wrote:Great choice cause its a 5 shot, but not cheap, Steyr LP50, I know several 2600+ shooters who use this to train with.
http://www.pilkguns.com/worldclassap.shtml
Definitely would bust my budget of $1k but very cool.  Will it accept pellets individually or does it require a magazine to load them?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:51 pm

LP50 uses a magazine whether for 1 shot or 5. There are 3 IZH46/46M for sale on target talk right now. Two are 425 including shipping and the 3rd is $450 with shipping. Had I not just bought a new air pistol, I would be all over these. 

Another option with the LP50 is the ability to add a 1911 angle and style grip. 

If you can wait and watch the for sale section here and on target talk, you might be able to find an LP50 for just a little over your limit. (maybe $1250 to $1300). There is also the LP5 that shows up on occasion and may be either air or co2.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:21 pm

I started with an Izzy and although a very, very accurate SSP it is very heavy and unless you have large hands as I do, the grips will not fit you.
After I dremeled the grips in a couple spots and polished the trigger components it was a very fine 10M AP.
I am in no way telling you not to get one but just letting you know up front of what to expect.

You can get a Steyr LP1P as I did for around the $1K mark if you hang and watch.
Or any other PCP and they all will shoot better than a human being can.

Get a name brand PCP, an air pump(bicycle style) and you are set.

But if you want to pump an SSP then those come up often also but some come for a premium with the older known brand makes.

IMHO I would not go with a 5 shot and all the makings to make it into a similar .45 pistol.
The whole idea is to work on the fundamentals.
Sight, hold and trigger.

Enough of my rant Smile

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I gladly bought a LP5 for well under 1k several years ago and have seen several for sale since. if you are not trying to win an AP national championship there is no reason to not get a CO2 model. you have to deal with finding a bottle and filling it once every couple of years but they are more accurate than you will ever be. in reality as a new shooter there is plenty to learn by using a Daisy 747. They are also more accurate than you or I  will ever be.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Any AP with a good trigger is a good trainer for fundamentals.

I have both an LP10E and an LP50. If I were to only have one for Bullseye training it would be the LP50. My '50 is set up for rapid fire training and has a 1911 grip, Redot and the heavy trigger adjustable up to 4lbs.

But for AP matches there is nothing better than the LP10E.

- Dave

dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:46 pm

A used Steyr LP5 or LP50 sounds good.  I'll keep a look out for one.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 pm

beeser wrote:A used Steyr LP5 or LP50 sounds good.  I'll keep a look out for one.

Go back and read the other thread you started.
It's your money and you know what goals you have set for yourself.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Used Daisy 777.  Accurate and under $100

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 pm

C.Perkins wrote:
beeser wrote:A used Steyr LP5 or LP50 sounds good.  I'll keep a look out for one.

Go back and read the other thread you started.
It's your money and you know what goals you have set for yourself.

Clarence
I read the thread again but don't understand why a Steyr LP5 or LP50 would be out of line with my comments if that's what you're suggesting.  It wouldn't be the first time but am I missing something?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:18 pm

I think he is saying that you should decide if you need an air pistol capable of winning the Olympics when you mentioned that your goal is to give yourself another "dryfire" option.

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:26 am

Unless you are going to compete in air pistol matches, you might look at the FAS 6004 Match or the Beeman P1.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jman Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:37 am

I'd second the daisy 717/747.  single pump and inexpensive and highly accurate with adjustable triggers.

jman

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

There is another choice. But, it is CO2 and hasn't been made in many years. However, it is exactly what Beeser might be looking for. It is the Crosman/Blaser 455 .177 conversion for the 1911. It is single shot.

I have seen two in person and was able to buy one from a retired bullseye shooter at my range. Since it uses your 1911 it is the EXACT same trigger you would normally use. Mine required a new seal at the CO2 cartridge piercer, but other than that has worked great.  

The sights are adjustable but not great. However for group shooting they work just fine. The bad part is that it was only sold in the US 1987-1989.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexsmom Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm using a Crossman 2300S that runs under $300 (Amazon) and is very accurate.  CO2 and gets 70 shots per cylinder.  It has really helped to improve my Slow Fire scores and is cheap fun to boot!

Alexsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Jkvandal Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:17 pm

I have the FAS6004.  Definitely does the job and plenty accurate.  Only complaint I would have is that it doesn't always punch clean holes in the target (in fact usually doesn't) but thats on printer paper not target paper, but I'm probably spoiled by the nice clean holes from my air rifle.

I don't use it much though as the grip is quite different than my 1911, but after reading some of the input on this thread I will probably break it out again.  Although you could probably talk me out of it for the right price...probably around 300 pellets down the barrel.

Jkvandal

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Beazer if I were you I would take a look at the Hammerly AP 20. Champions choice has them in stock for $763. This is a decent above-average air pistol for your training.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:40 pm

AP20 could be good, I looked at them before I found a better deal on a used pistol. One should read the AP20 and AP20pro reviews.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down