Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holosun HS403GL - First Glance

+22
djw1cav
mhayford45
fpk
Aprilian
10sandxs
Jon Eulette
zanemoseley
Bigtrout
jglenn21
tjpepitone
Oleg G
james r chapman
rich.tullo
Rob Kovach
farmboy
BE Mike
ric1911a1
dronning
C.Perkins
LenV
DavidR
Mikemanm
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Holosun HS403GL - First Glance Empty Holosun HS403GL - First Glance

Post by Mikemanm 4/7/2015, 1:01 pm

Holosun HS403GL – First Glance

The first thing I noticed was how well the sight was packaged.  (Except for the picture of a standard HS403 on the box)  It gave confidence that the product contained inside was constructed/handled with care.  Lifting out the small User’s Manual and removing the foam cushioning revealed a snugly packed sight, battery, hex wrenches and lens cloth.  Rubber bikini covers were also in place to protect the lenses.  The sight itself was quite small, but had some weight to it.  Construction quality looked excellent, and I couldn’t find any signs of poor craftsmanship.

I understood immediately why shooters are comparing this sight to the Aimpoint T1.  It is very similar in size, weight and appearance.  One big difference however, is the brightness controls.  On the T1, brightness is controlled with a rotary knob which also houses the 3 volt battery.  On the Holosun HS403GL, brightness is controlled with top mounted push buttons labeled (+/-).  I found these very easy to use and unlike other brands, these gave a nice positive click when the button was depressed.

Inserting the battery was a no brainer.  Just unscrew the side mounted battery cover and insert the supplied CR2032 battery positive (+) side up.  It took a few tries to get the cap back on as the fine threads were difficult to align, but once they were the cap was easily snugged up against the rubber O-ring.  After removing the lens covers, I found that the sight had already powered itself up. The HS403GL uses a motion sensor and it was clearly doing its job. (It auto-offs after 8 hours of no use)

Looking through the lens, I found the 2 MOA red dot to be crisp and precise and the brightness range was excellent.  Taking the sight indoors, I was able to adjust the intensity of the dot to properly account for the lack of ambient light. Out in bright sunlight, the unit was able to achieve enough brightness to make the dot stand out against the sky.   I’ve use plenty of red dot sights, and many are either too bright for indoor use or not bright enough when faced with the summer sun.  The Holosun did not have this problem.  Lens quality was also excellent. Like nearly all red dot sights, there was a slight greenish tint when looking through the tube due to the lens coating.  Lens clarity was near perfect and the reverse magnification which can occur in some sights, was very minimal.

Mounting the HS403GL couldn’t have been easier since this unit has a built in rail clamp system.  Just loosen the single pass through bolt with the supplied wrench until the sight can straddle your Weaver or Picatinny rail.  After your certain the sight is sitting flat on top of the rail, tighten the same bolt back up.  That’s it.  Just sight it in and you’re ready to go.  And speaking of sighting it in…this sight uses low profile windage and elevation covers which double as adjustment tools.  There is a small blade on the top of each cap which can be used like a screwdriver.  There are also indicator lines on the inside of the cap and an arrow which lets you know which way to turn the adjuster to move the dot up/down or left/right. This is also very much like the Aimpoint T1 which uses raised dots to insert into the W/E adjustor.  Both are quite handy, easy to use and make adjustments in the field a snap.

If you have a Weaver or Picatinny rail on the top of your weapon (and who doesn’t) you can mount the HS403GL on anything.  I chose to put mine on an M&P 15 (.223) using the supplied riser.  This gave me co-witness with my existing flip up iron sights.  After spending about 15 minutes sighting the dot in using a laser boresighter, I loaded up and took a few test shots.  A few more minor adjustments and I was ready to go.  The first fifty rounds found the sight to be extremely accurate.  There were no signs of movement and even after 100 shots fired…no further adjustment were necessary.  This unit appeared to be rock solid.  As time passes and I have more experience with the Holosun HS403GL, I’ll post updates and let you know how well it continues to function.  For now, I’m going to give this product a 9 out of 10.  It might not have the prestige of the Aimpoint T1…but at ¼ the price…it’s going to give it a run for the money.  You can buy a Holosun HS403GL at www.legendaryoptics.com for just $199.99.  Shipping is always fast and free.

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Holosun HS403GL - First Glance Empty Re: Holosun HS403GL - First Glance

Post by DavidR 4/7/2015, 2:17 pm

What worries me as a bullseye shooter is that you cant turn it on or off, the auto on with motion is not a feature that someone trying hold as still as possible would like, how long if held still is it before it shuts off?
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/7/2015, 2:30 pm

The HS403GL doesn't auto-off for 8 hours. Here is what the Holosun website says about battery life:  Employing new LED technology, the life time for one CR2032 battery can last to 50,000 hours.

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/9/2015, 1:39 am

I have a question about the HS403GL Mikemanm?  Or should I call you LegendaryOptics? I mentioned on your other post about this scope that it looks very heavy/solid but I can not find what it actually weighs. I wouldn't be concerned about the auto-on but the weight might be a problem for me.

Thanks, Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/9/2015, 10:23 am

here is that info direct from the maker; 114gr with low mount= 4oz That's a little heavier but not by much more than a aimpoint micro at 3.7 and a UD 1'' at 3.9
Holosun HS403GL - First Glance HS403GL_4-74x74Holosun HS403GL - First Glance HS403GL_3-74x74Holosun HS403GL - First Glance HS403GL_2-74x74
Brand: HOLOSUN
Product Code: HS403GL
Availability: In Stock

Price: $235.28
Ex Tax: $235.28

Qty:        - OR -   Add to Wish List
Add to Compare
Holosun HS403GL - First Glance Stars-0  0 reviews  |  Write a review

More Sharing ServicesShare Share on emailShare on print Share on facebook Share on twitter

Description Specification Reviews (0)
Small compact red dot sight with side battery housing and H/L adjusting turret options. Employing new LED technology, the life time for one CR2032 battery can last to 50,000
hours. The power will be switched on with slight movement of the sight. It may installed on various firearms such as shotguns, pistols, air rifles and crossbows.
Features

• Parallax free with unlimited eye relief.
  • Unit will "auto wake" when vibration is detected.
  • Includes accessory AR riser.
  • Adaptable to Picatinny and Weaver rails.
  • CNC machining with T6061-T6 housing.

OPTICAL DATA
Light sourceLED
Red Dot Size2 MOA
ParallaxParallax free
Eye ReliefUnlimited
CoatingMulti-layer coating for all lens.
magnification1X
ELECTRONIC DATA
Battery50,000 hours
Auto Shutoff8 Hours
Brightness Setting10DL & 2NV Compatible
MECHANICAL DATA
Housing MaterialAluminum
Housing FinishPEO/MAO housing finish
Housing ColorBlack
Adjust per click0.5MOA
ENVIROMENTAL DATA
Storage Temperature-40C to 70C
Working Temperature-10C to 50C
Waterproof1m
DIMENSIONS
Dimension67*38*37 mm with low mount
Weight86g without mount. 114g with low mount.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/9/2015, 10:39 am

Don't forget...with an Ultradot 1", you need to add ring weight. When considered, it weighs 5.3 oz. I'm not knocking that sight (it's a great product), just trying to give you a better comparison.

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/9/2015, 10:46 am

...and yes. I am with Legendary Optics.

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/9/2015, 11:21 am

Be nice to have a evaluation from a bullseye shooter who has used one to check out the parallax free claim  and the 2moa dot size which is quite small as most of us use a 4moa or larger and  to see if it would work good for our sport. If all worked good its looks like a great lower cost alternative to the aimpoint micro.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 4/9/2015, 4:37 pm

One of the best " shill " threads I have read.
Sorry, could not resist, just saying Smile
I am sure it is a good optic but needs multiple reviews from BE shooters.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/9/2015, 4:54 pm

I would be glad to "test" one for them. I have an ultradot HD micro and have not been bothered by the 2 moa dot on that scope. I suppose it is because I am older and used to a lot of wobble and just accept the sight picture. The small dot also helps when the dot (not my eyes) decides to go into solar flare mode. Smaller dot equals smaller flare. The problem with the micro is that it will not go dim enough to use indoors. It would be nice to see how bright/dim this dot goes.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 4/9/2015, 5:16 pm

OldMaster65 wrote:..... The problem with the micro is that it will not go dim enough to use indoors. It would be nice to see how bright/dim this dot goes. Len

Just got a UD Micro 2 days ago, mine goes plenty dim for indoors, almost can't see it at times when on the lowest setting. I also have several Matchdot II's and one of them is WAY brighter than the others and I can't get that one as low as I'd like it even for outdoors.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 4/9/2015, 5:19 pm

I have 2 of the now discontinued HS403D models. One on my 208S and the other on the slide of one of my .45 wadcutter guns. I haven't shot them much yet, but will report back when I have some rounds downrange with them.

The "D" model, which has the battery compartment on the left (which I like) has been superceded by the GL version.

I asked the company about the warranty for the D when I realized they were no longer available and received a direct email from a Vice President who assures me they would repair, replace, or refund my money if I have a problem with one. He also stated they will hold up mounted on the slide of a .45 wad gun.

The dot seems to be very similar to the Aimpoint H1 a friend loaned me to try. The auto-on feature seemed weird at first, but I've gotten used to it.

More to come after I have used them a bit.

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/9/2015, 5:22 pm

Does Legendary Optics donate to the National Matches or other bullseye events? That is a consideration for me.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/9/2015, 5:32 pm

One of the best " shill " threads I have read.
Sorry, could not resist, just saying Smile
I am sure it is a good optic but needs multiple reviews from BE shooters.

Clarence

No "Shill"...Clarence. :-). As the owner of Legendary Optics, I'm just trying to get information about these products out there and get feedback from people like yourselves. Holosun is fairly new company and after meeting them at this years Shot Show...I was impressed with their products...and their price points. I'll be reviewing more of their products as well as others from different manufacturers in the coming weeks and look forward to more discussion.

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/9/2015, 5:36 pm

Does Legendary Optics donate to the National Matches or other bullseye events? That is a consideration for me.

Hi. I am a retailer and not the manufacturer. That said, I will likely be making some donations to bullseye events.

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/9/2015, 6:25 pm

Just an FYI....Everyone, I wanted to introduce myself as the owner of Legendary Optics. We are a new online retailer that specializes in red dot sights and accessories.  Currently, we carry products from Ultradot, C-More and the relatively new Holosun.  While Legendary Optics is a new business, I am not new to the red dot sight industry.  In fact, I have been selling, promoting and designing red dot sights for more than 15 years.  In fact, I’m confident that some of my work can be found on many of the weapons owned by readers of this forum.  Much of my design work came about by listening to what shooters wanted and then actually making changes or creating new products.  It is this same philosophy that I plan to carry forward with LO.

Over the coming months I’ll be posting product reviews and asking shooters what their experiences are with them.  This will not only help me to determine what items to carry, but also create an opportunity for manufacturers to improve their products as well. You can also expect to find special discount opportunities for Bullseye Forum readers in the future.  Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Mike Mendoza

Owner

Legendary Optics

www.legendaryoptics.com

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 4/9/2015, 10:23 pm

Looks like the Primary Arms red dot
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/10/2015, 9:18 am

It really does look like the Primary Arms. Reading about the Primary (they have some on E-bay) they say " parallax free after 50 yards" . For some reason I have an easier time believing that claim. I don't think the physics of the red dot sight allow any dot to be 100% parallax free at close range. The 50' match will separate the good from the not so good.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/10/2015, 9:31 am

Im not going to be sold till I can test one, there are aimpoint clones on ebay for 50.bucks and I have bought a few, they are exact in everything except the stuff you cant see, and they seem to be almost like the burris that sells for 89.00 but they are not as good as the 600.00 micro.  It took a few posts before I realized you were advertising a product for your company and decided to let it run.  if you would like to continue to "review" your products here I would welcome  you become a forum sponsor and supporter.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/11/2015, 7:20 pm

Mike,

I agree with David R.  Let's talk about an advertising sponsorship for the forum.

Always make it clear that you are sharing "reviews" of your products as a way to connect bullseye shooters to the products that you sell.  Honesty is always the best policy.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your products here.

I am also interested in some testing of the holosun as I shoot with the dot near the edge of the tube.  Parallax is a problem for my shooting style.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm 4/11/2015, 7:47 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:Mike,

I agree with David R.  Let's talk about an advertising sponsorship for the forum.

Always make it clear that you are sharing "reviews" of your products as a way to connect bullseye shooters to the products that you sell.  Honesty is always the best policy.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your products here.

I am also interested in some testing of the holosun as I shoot with the dot near the edge of the tube.  Parallax is a problem for my shooting style.

Hello Rob and David.  My apologies for any confusion I may have created.  I thought the tag line at the end of my initial post made it clear I was with LO.  When I realized there was some confusion, I quickly posted "...and yes, I am with LO" along with an introduction.  That said, I'll try to be a little more clear in future posts.  I really do want to get feedback from shooters about products to see if they stack up to manufacturer claims. Hopefully you'll allow me to share more of these in the future.  Regarding sponsorship...please email me any information you have at: info@legendaryoptics.com  I'll be happy to look it over to see if it fits into my business model. 

Thanks you guys!

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/11/2015, 8:11 pm

I got bored and curious so decided to check out Holosun and Primary Arms. I found out that they are the same company with different names. The upscale models appear to be the Holosun.
http://www.primaryarms.com/HoloSun_Optics_s/5922.htm
  I dug deeper and found a lot of reviews for the Primary Arms. 12 pages and all of it was good. I did find an article that was a review and had good things to say about it (Holosun). The writer came back later and did a re-classify when the scope failed after 300 rounds on his .308. The writer doesn't recommend it on anything bigger than a 5.56. Primary arms offers an identical scope except for the auto-on function for 169.99. They claim parallax free after 33 yds on their home page. All that being said I might give one a try but would probably start with it on a .22.
  If they want to send me one to test I would be glad to put one on my test pistol and see how long it lasts. The ultradot on this pistol is alive and well after over 300 rounds. The little glued on sticker with the arrows fell off, but scope still works.
 My test pistol...

Holosun HS403GL - First Glance Lens_b11

Last edited by OldMaster65 on 4/11/2015, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/11/2015, 10:08 pm

I have a primarily arms it's a nice peice of equipment and I like it. I tested on a 45 slide mount shot 70 rounds, no loss of zero no malfunction.  

I would have liked a 3 moa dot but had no problem shooting well with it. 

That said I would not use it on a 45acp, for very long without a factory test. 

I think there is a big market for mini dots if factories decide to offer totts style mounts on competition pistols. 

I am now using it on a model 41 and taking 5 ounces off the weight of the gun is helpful.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/20/2017, 6:05 pm

Put my new holosun on my Nelson. Like it very much.
Apparently holding down both brightness buttons puts it into sleep mode.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 8/21/2017, 12:33 pm

I have a Primary Arms micro dot. In fact I bought two of them. It works very well on a .22 and the dot is very usable. The first three settings are night vision and from 4 to 11 are the "regular" brightness settings.

I mounted the sight on a .45 with Clark's slide rib and it failed after about 300 rounds - the mounting screw got stripped by recoil. So, it is a fine inexpensive alternative for a .22 but (for me) a no-go on a larger caliber. I don't think that it will survive Len's test pistol!

Having said all this, I switched to 1 inch Ultradots on all my pistols and don't look back at Primary Arms.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next