Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance

+16
Axehandle
jmdavis
john bickar
dronning
james r chapman
gitkrunk
BrianD
Rob Kovach
Jon Eulette
Jack H
BE Mike
Virgil Kane
davekp
LenV
DavidR
285wannab
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance - Page 3 Empty 75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance

Post by 285wannab Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I have something that you might find interesting. And I might of brought it up before but here goes. During a match I stand 75deg. from the shooting line.  My eye, sight and target lines up nicely.  The thing is when I'm messing around and try standing at a 45deg. from the shooting line I feel much more solid.  My slow fire scores are better but timed and rapid are not as good.  And thats because I am fighting to keep things lined up.  One thing about the 45deg. stance is my face is straight forward where with the 75deg. my face is offset. With the 75deg. stance  my wrist is pretty straight and with the 45deg. stance my wrist has to be bent outward.
I would like to change over to the 45deg. stance but.....would it make sense????
Looking for ideas and opinions

285wannab

Back to top Go down

75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance - Page 3 Empty Re: 75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance

Post by dronning Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 am

With a rifle you are touching it in at least 4 places, shoulder, cheek, trigger hand and fore arm. In all position but offhand you are also strapped in with a sling and your elbows act like a tripod. Letting your body come to rest your rifle will settle to a NPA.

With a pistol there is one point of contact (your grip) and it's supported by your wrist, arm muscles, shoulder, torso and legs, way too many variables to settle to a single point of aim. IMHO it's more of an area of aim.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance - Page 3 Empty Re: 75deg. stance vs 45deg. stance

Post by Jack H Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:21 am

I speak of a position of automatic sight alignment to your eye.  The position has many variables from the grip to the eye.  Arm angle to the target is the last thing to consider.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:36 pm

DavidR wrote:And Mr. Zins says NPA is BS! Maybe someone who took his clinic can elaborate on this and what his thoughts about it are
The term "Natural Point of Aim" is a term in rifle shooting that means when you are in your shooting position and completely relaxed, you can close your eyes and open them again and the sights are perfectly on target.

There is NO WAY a pistol shooter can completely relax and still have the sights on target, therefore there is no similar experience for pistol shooters.

We do "build our shooting position" in a manner that is comfortable, and reproducible to the point that it comes naturally, but that doesn't mean that's a "natural point of aim".

Let's talk about grip again--we need to develop a grip that lines the sights up with our eye without stirring the gun around at the wrist.  It takes practice.

When I lift the gun, I do it with my grip, wrist, elbow--my entire arm holding at the same tension as when I shoot.  I lift with just my shoulder.  I want to make sure that my shoulder is in a comfortable spot when it comes up--where my shoulder muscles are strongest.  From there I move my feet to make sure the comfortable spot is on target when everything is lined up.

Zins didn't tell me I was doing it wrong, so I'm guessing it was good enough.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:22 pm

The purpose of the NPA in pistol is to center your natural wobble.  I fount my stance by gripping my pistol then aiming at the black.  Then I closed my eyes and tried to hold the pistol still.  After a few seconds I opened my eyes and then adjusted my stance to keep the wobble more or less centered on the target.  It's just to make it easier to establish your stance.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum