Matchdot II - Review from Retailer LegendaryOptics.com - First Glance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Matchdot II - Review from Retailer LegendaryOptics.com - First Glance

Post by Mikemanm on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Matchdot II – First Glance

The Matchdot II is the follow up to the wildly successful Matchdot.  That original sight was basically a modified Ultradot FOUR.  Aside from the two tone silver/black, the main difference was in the dot sizes.  The Ultradot FOUR had a selector switch which changed the dot sizes from 4, 8, 12 or 16 MOA.  While most bullseye shooters liked the 4 MOA dot…few embraced the 8, 12 or 16.  Never one to ignore their customers, Ultradot (with the assistance of Larry Carter and Team Ultradot) came up with the first Matchdot.  Dot sizes were reduced to a more precise 2, 4, 6 and 8 MOA configuration, the rotary brightness switch was slightly beefed up and it was given its signature silver/black finish.  Shooters liked this sight so much, it quickly became a benchmark for other companies to follow.  It seemed everyone at Camp Perry had one on their favorite pistol…and why not?  The Matchdot was light, accurate, rock solid and fairly inexpensive.

As years passed, the Matchdots popularity did not diminish, although there were numerous requests for a few tweaks.  It seems along with the available four dot sizes, shooters wanted reticle patterns for added versatility. They also asked for easier elevation adjustment, so bullet drop could be accounted for on the spot.  Finally, people either loved or hated the two tone silver and black finish…and so, the Matchdot II was born.

The Matchdot II uses the same 30mm tube and center housing as the Ultradot FOUR and Matchdot.  However, the elevation adjuster was replaced with a simple, but effective BDC turret.  Elevation adjustments could now be made with a quick turn of the knob.  Detents indicated 1 MOA of dot movement with each click and once zero was determined, the turret could be changed to reflect that.

The dot size selector switch was also replaced with one which boasted 6 different positions.  Now, along with the 2, 4, 6 and 8 MOA dot sizes, there were two reticle patterns.  The first being a n 8 MOA dot surrounded by a 55 MOA circle and the other a tactical styled 2 MOA dot/30 MOA circle/crosshairs arrangement.  Both quite useful.  Finally, the silver and black finish was done away with and was replaced with a more universally liked matte black one.  So do bullseye shooters like it?  Well if sales figures are any indication it has been a tremendous success.  The Matchdot II alone accounts for 60% of ALL Ultradots sold. That says something.

Here’s my First Glance.

Opening the box, the first thing I noticed was that it said “Ultradot 6 Series” on the outside.  The “6 Series” is basically two very similar sights made by Ultradot.  The other being the Ultradot 6.  This is their version of a tactical sight which is identical to the Matchdot II with the exception of a larger objective lens and more precise W/E adjustors.  We’ll talk about that product on another date.  Once inside, I found the sight wrapped in plastic and encased in white Styrofoam along with several accessories.  This includes: Lens Covers, Hex Wrench, Battery, Mounting Rings, a Tube Extension, Polarizing Filter and User’s Manual.  All in all…it was a pretty complete set.

Construction quality looked excellent and despite its size…didn’t seem to weigh much. (Less than 5 oz) I quickly set about getting my sight mounted.  Since I chose to put it on a Benelli MP 95, I was not able to use the supplied Weaver style rings and needed a set of .22 rings which would clamp on to the built in scope rail on my gun.  (I prefer this over available scope mounts or adaptors.  Why add more size and weight to my gun…?) Once attached, I gave the sight a quick once over by looking through and trying different brightness, dots and reticle settings.  I began with the 2 MOA dot on a very low brightness setting (3) and immediately loved the way it looked.  Crisp, clean and precise.  4, 6 and 8 were much the same…only larger.

Next came the reticle patterns.  The circle with an 8 MOA dot was also very clean, but perhaps not suited to long distance or precision shooting.  It did however seem like the perfect setting for close up, rapid fire events. In fact, the large circle would be great for steel plate…  The last setting was the 2 MOA dot, surrounded by a 30 MOA circle which had crosshairs extending off of it.  My initial impression was that it looked to be slanted to one side or slightly crooked.  I pulled back and realized that the crosshairs weren’t off, my holding of the gun was. A simple red dot doesn’t require your gun to be perfectly vertical….crosshairs do.  I rotated my wrist slightly and the problem was solved.  Like the larger circle setting, this seemed better suited to close range shots although the 2 MOA dot in the center gave it a precise feel.  I could see how someone might make good use of both patterns as a way to help align their targets.

Like all Ultradots, the brightness control knob boasted a very wide range of settings.  On position 1, the dot was dim and well suited to low light conditions.  On setting 11….It was brighter than you might ever need it to be.  This same knob housed the 3 volt lithium battery. 

Sighting in my Matchdot II was a simple affair.  I prefer to use a laser boresighter, but today I went with a Bushnell Magnetic Boresighter.  You just attach it to the end of your barrel and align the dot using indicator lines etched on the lens within the device.  Windage adjustments were made the same way you would on any other Ultradot, but I was anxious to try the “BDC”.   My first impression was very favorable.  Being able to just reach up and turn the knob made me wish the windage was changed in the same manner.  There were positive clicks to indicate 1 MOA movements and line indicators on the turret made it easier to keep track of where you were.   I’ve heard some comments or concerns that the elevation might move when it wasn’t intended by bumping or storing your weapon, but I don’t believe this to be the case.  Turning the knob took a bit of force.  Enough that it gave confidence it wouldn’t move when you didn’t want it to. 

Once I felt it was dialed in (at 50 yards), setting the control knob to reflect “zero” was a snap.  I just loosened the screw on top of the turret which released the friction coupling.  This allowed the knob to turn without changing the dots position.  Once set, you simply snug the screw back up.   The user’s manual says to not over tighten this screw or you may damage the sight.  I just snugged it up with my fingers and the friction coupling went back to work.  So is it really a BDC?  That might be a slight stretch, but it can and does function like one.   If your weapon is zeroed at 50 yards, and you move back to 100…and you’ve done your homework to know how many clicks will make up that difference…it is a BDC.

So what are my overall impression of the Matchdot II after shooting it for an afternoon?  It is everything that it claims to be.  Like the original Matchdot, it is well built, durable, precise, cheap to buy, and now…a bit more flexible.  You can buy one at Legendary Optics for just $233.95 and have it shipped to your door for free.  Go to: www.legendaryoptics.com

Last edited by Mikemanm on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Re: Matchdot II - Review from Retailer LegendaryOptics.com - First Glance

Post by Bullshooter on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:41 am

For the past several years, all the new UltraDots I have seen, whether 1", 30mm, or standard MatchDots, have exhibited "negative magnification" to some degree. It's most apparent when shooting at 50 yards, that bull is small enough as it is! If you look at a 25 yard or 50 yard bull with both eyes open and then bring the scope up and view through it, this negative magnification can be easily seen in comparison. 

Complaints to UltraDot over several years have been answered either with "the individual lenses are within spec, and any negative magnification is due to "tolerance stacking", or "that is no longer an issue". After receiving that last statement from UD, I ordered a new MatchDot directly from them, and promptly returned it, as it also had very evident negative magnification.

I'm wondering if this ongoing problem has been cured with this newest model MatchDot.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikemanm on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Hello Walt, while I am not the manufacturer, I do have a long history with Ultradot.  The problems with reverse magnification did appear a several years back, but I believe this issue was addressed by the Japanese manufacturer.  As far as I know, these lens errors existed for only a short run of production.  Another factor is the small amount of distortion that exists at the very edge of the lens.  This subtle warping effect can create the impression that the image is being reduced because a straight line...will appear to be misaligned.  I am not saying that this is what your experience was...it is just something I have found myself at times. 

Thanks for joining the discussion!

Mikemanm

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 am

That's not been my experience at all; it's definitely wasn't a short production run problem. I have seen this condition in UltraDots consistently for several years now. And after UltraDot claiming that it no longer existed as recent as this past January, I was hoping it had been resolved, so I ordered a MatchDot directly from UltraDot West, and got another scope with the same problem. Like I said, I've seen it in 1", 30mm, and MatchDots. If you just pick the scope up and look through it, it's not as apparent, but compare the bull you see through the scope and the naked eye, and you'll see the difference. I'd estimate the negative magnification at about 5%. Maybe there is a way to measure it. I've also noticed that the older scopes that don't have the problem, have a very slight yellow tint to them, while the ones I've seen that do have negative magnification have a very slight blue tint to them. When Larry Carter had the UD warranty, they (Ken) sometimes swapped out lenses on the more severe cases. The UD is a really well built and rugged scope. I do hope they can correct this problem, or possibly already have in the new model, but after the last scope I bought in January, I'm not ready to drink their Koolaid again yet.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Blsi2600 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Every UltraDot I have and every one I have looked through in the last 15 years has image reduction.  Some greater than others.  My new out of the box 1" tube has about 25 to 30
percent reduction.  Pure crap.  For sale.  Any suckers out there?

The Bullseye (precision???) shooting community is such a small group that UltraDot can and will continue to ignore the on going complaints of this issue.  

Buy Aimpoint, Bushnell, or any other brand and vote with your money until they fix the problem.  NOT going to happen.

Lee

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:15 am

I have 8 or 12 Ultradots.  Mostly regular 1" and 4 dot 1" models.  I have never noticed "image reduction".  If it is there, it does not bother me. 

I do much prefer the larger dots, 8moa and bigger.  I can tolerate 4moa, but 2moa is way too small.  The 4 dot models are(were) my favorite.  I wish they would make a one dot 8moa in the regular 1" tube.

Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullshooter on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Blsi2600 wrote:Every UltraDot I have and every one I have looked through in the last 15 years has image reduction.  Some greater than others.  My new out of the box 1" tube has about 25 to 30
percent reduction.  Pure crap.  For sale.  Any suckers out there?

The Bullseye (precision???) shooting community is such a small group that UltraDot can and will continue to ignore the on going complaints of this issue.  

Buy Aimpoint, Bushnell, or any other brand and vote with your money until they fix the problem.  NOT going to happen.

Lee
Lee,

Being a fan of the durability of the UltraDot, I've expended quite a bit of energy over the last few years, trying to get UD to fix this problem, all to no avail. I have found an alternative in the Sightron S30-5, which is also a Japanese made dot, that in several components looks very similar to the 30mm UD, possibly made in the same factory? I don't know, but this is also a rugged scope with good lenses that don't make the bullseye smaller. The only dot offered in this model however is a 5 minute, which looks smaller to me than the 4 minute UltraDot. FWIW, most of my Bullseye guns wear older MatchDots or 1" UDs, made before this problem surfaced.

Walt

Bullshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:49 pm

I've been using Ultradots since about 2005. I would assume 99% of the scoped pistols I work on have Ultradots. In my experience 95% plus of them have the image reduction.  I hate it! When I was 25 I probably wouldn't have cared, but at 50 I notice it greatly. My Aimpoint Micros do not have the reduction so I prefer them mostly for that reason. 
Jon

Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:41 pm

On a positive note we all know how much harder it is to shoot with a scope with magnification. That wobble really gets intensified. A little reduction should shrink that wobble Smile

LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum